http://readitlaterlist.com/

Read It Later is a reading list, with which you can save all the webpages you need to read for offline caching, so you can read it later, in a synchronised fashion.

So say you are sitting on your laptop with 16 tabs open, and you dont have the time to read them right now, you can just "save all tabs" to your reading list with Read It Later, open Read It Later on your mobile phone for caching, catch a train and read it in the meanwhile, without requiring internet when you are on the go.

It has an API which should make it relatively easy to create an app/frontend to work with it: http://readitlaterlist.com/api/

It would be a fantastic addition to maemo, and for once it's something useful, which could heighten productivity.

If anyone wants this for Maemo, let us know in this thread. And anyone who is up for developing it, please let us know here - perhaps we could give donations to any interested developers

Last edited by vigilius; 2010-05-31 at 01:21.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vigilius For This Useful Post:
I would love to see a Read it Later app for the Maemo 5. Read it Later is one of my favourite Firefox add-ons, and getting access to webpages (offline) on my N900 would be great!

Too bad I don't know anything about making apps...

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Brilliant. Thanks for this, just had a look for a plug in for Fennec (Firefox) browser on the N900 and it's listed as 'Read Later'...installed and seems to work perfectly - i'll try it later on the tube going into work...
I know it's not quite what you intended Vigilius but i think this will do me for now :-)

That FF add-on just adds stuff to your Read it Later list.
What I want is an app to read your stuff offline, like I had on my iPod Touch.
If no one else is working on such an app I might hack together one by myself..

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I'd be interested in developing this, integrating into microb is the problem for me though. Though, it could possibly be done by having a special folder in you bookmarks which you save the page to and a daemon picks this up and downloads the pages in the background. A simple status area plugin would show when files are being downloaded and a small configuration interface for configuring the saving of pictures.

I'd then make the daemon, once the page is downloaded to rewrite the bookmark to point at your saved content rather than the live site for offline viewing. let me know tyour thoughts on this proposal. Cheers, Tom.

I don't use Read It Later, but I do use the similar instapaper service. I use the bookmarklet to add items from MicroB, and then calibre to convert my unread items into an epub which can then be read in dorian. I suspect it might be possible to use the RSS feed to download and read documents in FeedingIt, but I haven't tried this myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to tnhh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I think it s already available for Fennec on n900

o read it later for fennec on weave synch which is mozilla. Read it later would be great on n900.

Considering the target audience of maemo, it seems very strange to me that still there isn't an app for read it later.
Also, "Read Later" is not good enough since it does not sync with the Read it later list and does not save the list for offline view, which are the main reasons I'm using it.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Glendale, CA
Originally Posted by tnhh View Post
I don't use Read It Later, but I do use the similar instapaper service. I use the bookmarklet to add items from MicroB, and then calibre to convert my unread items into an epub which can then be read in dorian. I suspect it might be possible to use the RSS feed to download and read documents in FeedingIt, but I haven't tried this myself.
Instapaper also has an API:
http://www.instapaper.com/api

It would be possible to get an app together for it as well.