Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I just emailed myself a wav and played it from the email. The whole process was easy and at no point was anything wacky involved.

I think your first warning should have been the "wack" in the name of that website.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Finding the video player on this device to be the most disappointing/troublesome I have ever come accross. Sometimes it would play a video file sometimes it would say unsupported file format for the very same file. And once I get that message no other file will ever play until I restart the device.
the exact same thing happens to me with XVID playback.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
IT'S WACKTRAP. IT IS CLUELESS AND WRONG.

Wavs work fine in emails just as they do in the media player. Nothing to see here, just people who do not understand what 'wav' is. Move along.
"Nothing to see here"? Very familiar with the N900, open source and wav. There is a very real problem with wav files, which can additionally be found not only across the web and in speaking with Nokia-the wav file issue is a problem Nokia is very well aware of.

Apparently you are unaware of the wav issue and seem intent on spreading that incorrect 'knowledge' Telling people to "move along"? you've got to be kidding.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
No, i'm going to have to agree with Attila on this one. Out of curiosity, i actually followed the link Mr. Wacked uses as the basis for his long-winded and smug "expose", and he might just as well have linked a thread on T.M.O. Nobody responding in that thread is clearly labeled as a Nokia employee, and a clear explanation of a plausible reason for that one wav format not being supported out of the box is given.

Given that it's an "N" series device, i have to concur with the points made in the thread, as well: the designers of this device had no reason to venture into muddied legal waters to support an obsolete standard, just because more constrained business-oriented devices do.

While posting this link is in the same spirit as the original post of this thread, it, like the first post, isn't really contributing to the community but is on the contrary being disruptive. We don't need the Weekly World News and Enquirer referred to here to go about business.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by fishybythesea View Post
There is a very real problem with wav files
no, it's a problem with an obscure wav compression format, NOT a "very real problem with wav files".

apparently, "Cisco Unity voicemail" uses it. i don't know how commonplace this software is, but personally, i have never come across any compressed wav. and it's not what 99,9% of users expect when they see this extension.

i don't know wacktrap, but not mentioning that the actual issue is about wav compression, and instead using the term wav file all the time seems pure FUD to me.

edit:
ups, sry didn't realize this thread was days old already. and i'm usually not the one to beat dead horses

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=attila77;455385]IT'S WACKTRAP. IT IS CLUELESS AND WRONG.

Wavs work fine in emails just as they do in the media player. Nothing to see here, just people who do not understand what 'wav' is. Move along.[

This reply is not correct there are some wav issues, in fact I am having similar problems. Wav files for instance using GSM 6.10 codecs DO NOT play on the N900. All wav files are not supported as there are many codecs out there. But GSM 6.10 is used by several VOIP providers like some Ciscon and Ringcentral.com. They use it for emailing a voicemail attachment and while the codec may be a bit older it is still common and used a great deal.

Well this lack of a specific type of .WAV file support is screwing me too. My University has gone to a MS Exchange based voicemail system that emails you your voice mails in an attached .WAV file. I could play them fine on my old Nokia E71 running symbian. Now that I have open and free linux there isn't a single package or app that can play back this ancient format? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
It supports the media that totem supports out of box for normal linux. To get better support one has to install codec's JUST like with normal linux.

Should be noted that it DOES support more formats than Windows Mobile, Android and iPhone OS out of box. Just not the ones needing license's from M$ and such.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Side not Avi's are just containers there are various ways there encoded and this effects the player. Mine played most fine out of box, wmv's wanted licensing etc to play [expected response].