Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
There is no manual page for pkcon installed by default.

I can't remember whether i installed the program man myself, but I use it a lot. Zypper has a manpage, but unfortunately it can't be used without temporarily breaking the Jolla store (anyone know why?).

Sometimes, having a local copy of a manpage is invaluable, and they don't take up much space. It's not always possible to do an online search.

Does anyone know of a way to install manpages for some/all of the system tools that come with Sailfish?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I think by default Mer does not include manpages on puroppse since the OS footprint is supposed to be as small as possible.
IMHO that is not really necessary as manpages really do not take up that much space.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Ugh. I can see the reasoning, and I guess the mer people aren't really expecting many people to use the cli, but I agree... bit stupid.

So I may have to build a single installable package of manpages for all the system tools that come with mer, and stick it on openrepos.

Now the question is, which other system tools need manpages?

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Also related, I've noticed that although space moves forward a page in man, b does not move backwards (using TOHKBD).

Does anyone else have this problem?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
But at least 'man' is pre-installed on Jolla (or I do not remember to have it installed manually.

And yes it is dumb to not have it on device.
So thumbs up for your idea and efforts ...

--
b does not move backwards using vkb, too. 😡

and btw nano on my device f*#ks up text displaying so massive it is impossible to use as editor

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
and btw nano on my device f*#ks up text displaying so massive it is impossible to use as editor
I noticed that too (very annoying right now, I'm trying to write a spec file...)

Sometimes it displays text overlaid on other parts of the line you're on so you think the cursor is somewhere it isn't... do you think that could be a problem with the package, or something hardware specific? Nano is fine on all of my other devices...

I'm thinking it may be something to do with curses (which I think is a toolkit for displaying text on the screen?) - I've noticed that if I ssh to one of my servers and use certain programs like transmission-cli or yast, some parts of the screen don't update properly on the Jolla.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
years???

Sorry to use your thread for my rant, but I just felt like that
I still will use it but only because of its Gnu Linux flavour.

--
and that was written on N9 which I hate sometimes/often for.its.vkb behaviour.
So since 2009 (N900) I feel like going down only. If it only had more RAM and a bit faster CPU ...

---
above rant in short:
thanks for confirming that behaviour.
totally unsatisfied with Jolla HW (battery), OS (browser unusable, no copy/paste, unpredictable link touch reaction) and especially PR.
still going to use it but only because of its Gnu Linux flavour.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-08-01 at 21:21.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
btw nano on my device f*#ks up text displaying so massive it is impossible to use as editor
Right, let's have a crack at sorting this out. I've compiled nano myself and uploaded it to openrepos, I'm thinking it's worth messing around with the build options to see if we can get it working. See if you can break my build, I can't remember what I did to mess it up last time.

Just installed your nano
with zypper in nano-2.4.2-0.armv7hl as warehouse claimed something about not resolved dependencies ...

First test looks quite good.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
I just realised I uploaded the nano-lang rpm under nano, it should probably go in as a separate library. I bet that caused the error in Warehouse - it's "recommended" - not a hard dependency. Will add it now!

Tags
manpage, manual, pkcon, sailfish