Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Thanks for all the support, criticise and help on clarification. Much appreciate the support from the community, it's the power for me to keep things moving.

We are undergoing for the first batch of production which will be finished shortly, but it's very limited in quantity. (I am sorry again to some people that we are not a massive entity that can afford a huge amount of first shipment) And meanwhile we are working on our second batch, which has also started. Please do bear in mind that in general, production including sourcing needs to be started 3-4 month before shipping. We are trying our best to reduce the gap for the following shipment. (And I am sure there will be more complaints from some that the waiting time is too long, in a bit of time. This is what we are trying to work out)

Unfortunately, since a few month ago, global and local politics are moving to a direction that is being very difficult to our little business. Trade war causing huge problems on sourcing components and shipping; Brexit and Sterling dropping into a stupidly low level; and there are a few extra license cost which we were not aware of at the beginning (can't disclose details publically) which also added a lot on individual cost. The price adjustment is a hard decision based on all the factors above. It more of making us survive, rather than making revenue. We always wanted to lower the price as much as possible so more users can get a chance to use the product, but there are cases that we cannot control.

However, that's said for all the pre-orders it would remain same as we promised if users pay on time. And once the situation of politics gets stabilised we will do the best to lower the price as much as we can.
How do pre-orderers know if they're in the first batch?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
@British I have understood that if you flash back to Android and the problem still persists, it's covered by warranty, not that flashing something other than Android permanently voids your warranty. But this might be hearsay.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Hold on a sec.
WTF.

I am going to correct the mistaken " increase by a 1/3"
But I will be damned if I correct the pricing.
It may be 778 USD ...as far as everyone else is concerned.
But for Canadians...it is $1032.15
Well over a grand.
That I didn't get confused.
I just forgot to state that is the cost in my locale.
Which is an absolute break point for me for any handheld ...or start up risk.
It might be a psychological threshold, and perhaps a reasonable one, but that doesn't change the absolute price. 1032 CAD is still 700€, which is actually less expensive than the final price in Europe (taxes I guess?), and it doesn't change the fact that the price did not increase by a huge margin, which was the main point being complained about in the last few pages.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-08-19 at 15:01.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Absolutely agreed, as you guys already managed to talk yourself into discussing specific prices / price increases based on pure speculation:

"8% increase", "increase by a 1/3", "778 USD", "1032.15 CAN$", "720€ incl. shipping" etc.

This is crazy, if the intention was not trolling in the first place, and evil if it was.
Can you please stop this nonsense.
Since you quoted parts of my post Olf, I did not speculate. I paid 667€ already for my preorder device, and I just went back to the official website today to check if the price actually increased by 33% as some people claimed it. I noticed it did increase, by 8%. I did not speculate. Now is it the final price? I don't know, but I didn't make up those numbers (and didn't want to).

Let me stress that I am totally OK with the company updating their price. I'm on the side of those who think they do whatever they want with how they sell their device, in the end we are the ones who decide to pay for it or not. As I said in a previous post, I am no one to look into their books and tell them what a fair price would be, since I have no idea how much they sink to produce and distribute one unit. I was merely answering to all the fuzz to try putting forward the actual number before new people would take for granted that the price increased by one third.

[Edit] Checking on a different computer now, the price still shows as 649+18€. This means the 1032 USD I saw earlier today were probably just due to my other computer not being geolocalized. The price I saw was probably the initial price for non-EU customers, which seems to be 8% more than the price for EU customers. In any case, not related to the price after pre-orders.

Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
none of consumer's problems.
same logic: startup owner get's robber in the street - not a thing he could control - add missing money to device price. duh.
But you are not a consumer. You did not buy their device. You can't complain about them increasing their price to keep the company afloat with the external pressures due to politics, sourcing, and available capital to sustain or adapt to the stress. Especially as you mentioned that you hope a Pro2 will come one day.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-08-19 at 18:01.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by British View Post
Well yes, but no.

The warranty is indeed 2 years, if you don't tamper with your device physically (which makes perfect sense) AND if you only use Android.

While I understand why it is so, that's also quite a bummer.

It also brings another question for all the privacy-haters that fancy Google so much: the FAQ says "it must be running Android", yet it doesn't state it should be the Android version the Pro1 will be shipped with.
Since F(x)tec is publicly advocating their open bootloader, I suppose it's all very possible to use another "flavor" of Android... but will it void the warranty as well ?
If so, they should come clean and state it on the product page:

instead of the bland and inaccurate

Now about the "support" part... they do say that alternate OSes are to be supported, but then again, as I just pinpointed, it's the hardware (Pro1) that supports the OSes (or the other way around, if you prefer that), since the company (F(x)tec) doesn't (since the warranty is lost).

I know, semantics.

That won't prevent me from getting it and installing anything but Android (so the classical third-grade answer "if you're not happy with it, no one is forcing you/go elsewhere" we've been getting of late is still irrelevant), but as I said, that's still a bummer.
I don't know if that is real since I got it from the review video that was shared after the first event in Germany, but it was said that unlocking the bootloader does not void the warranty, just that the device has to be running Android to be covered by the warranty.

If confirmed, this tells us two things: (1) we are free to try other OSes, and this complies with the willingness of F(x)tec to support other OSes although they cannot cover software issues with the warranty, for very understandable reasons; (2) if we can put Android back before sending it for service, then it means the issue we had in the first place was not a brick or related to the OS we were running, which puts F(x)tec in a much better situation to deal with the broken device. This all seems perfectly reasonable to me, and actually much more flexible than warranties by other companies, even Nokia in the N900/N9 times.

Usually people who tinker with their device to the point that they unlock the bootloader and install hacky community-developed OSes are fully aware that they are compromising their right to pull the warranty string later. In this case, they might still be able to do so, which is already a pretty significant difference favoring users compared to other companies.

(Sorry for the three distinct messages, I replied as I read the new pages, and felt a single wall-of-text message would be worse.)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
same logic: startup owner get's robber in the street - not a thing he could control - add missing money to device price. duh.
Trolling now or what??????
It's not regular folks problem that rich mans are playing on stock markets. But somehow we pay the price in the end.
Move to Venezuela and I guarantee you the price of 650€ (for any keyboard version in any time in the next 12 months) but the only condition is to make that money there.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by British View Post
Well yes, but no.

The warranty is indeed 2 years, if you don't tamper with your device physically (which makes perfect sense) AND if you only use Android.
That i can answer without wiredly going out of temper. Sorry again endso and all who thought better of me, it took a walk through the forest to realize i should have just not posted before understanding...

"For a device to be covered by warranty, it must be running Android OS."

Is to be taken literally. It was stated during the community events that if you send it in, it must run android so the (industry) standard tools to check for faults work.
If you manage to reflash to android before sending in, all is fine. That is my information, not a legal expert though.

"F(x)tec cannot be responsible for any issues which arise from installing alternative operating systems."

Might make it necessary to trust FX to not try and pull legal strings to avoid service once they took the effort and checked if your device was tainted with alternate OS before. correct.
I have their word they will not bother once a sent in device runs android and will measure them on that.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
@British I have understood that if you flash back to Android and the problem still persists, it's covered by warranty, not that flashing something other than Android permanently voids your warranty. But this might be hearsay.
That is what I understood as well. That makes it different from other open bootloaders like Sony. I have a case with one of the XA2 I own/take care of, where it regularly crashes with Sailfish but not with stock android. If it would crash on stock as well I would be able to complain about it with Fxtec device but not with the Sony device, there would not be anything since it is unlocked.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Despite all these comments, most of all coming from those who will not buy nor pre order the device, i would like to receive an email from Fxtec team. It should have two important statements. First is to ensure if the price is the same that was paid on pre order. The second thing is to know if me or others belong to the fisrt batch.

The Following User Says Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
because it's not good-ole days anymore. every 2nd startup is a scam. that's why one should be very attentive before sending his money anywhere. even very little suspicions things should be taken into account. demanding money without having device in stock is VERY suspicious.

yup. still no extact numbers. so I guess in such GLOBALLY-UNSTABLE situation I'll wait for stuff to settle down and cancel my preorder. just hope that wish to lower the price after unstability is over would be kinda sooner than Pro2 is announced

WTF did I just receive???

Chen, please. This is not how you make more buyers for your product. The demand for niche product is low and it's VERY silly to make it even less with unexpected price changes, extra charges and other bull*it.

Blah blah, first we have deficite and high demands, now they are sooo high we'll raise the price... What's next? You have to win a fight to get it? Quit it, makes me sick.
As a Maemo community member Chen not FX Chen:

Man you need to take a deep breath and I'm afraid Pro1 is not suitable for you. Buy something cheaper and easier to get, and support morally to Fxtec to survive and hopefully it can get slightly bigger and stronger and can satisfy you better next time.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit