Well, it seems no matter if I try to boot Mer or Ubuntu, from Mer bootmenu it fails.
It says it tries to load linuxrc and then it just reboots after a while.

mmkay, got it. mmcblk0 is not mmcblk0 at boot time. sneaky.

now i see gdm login but keyboard does not work.
what did i break again?

OK, it logged in after enabling autologon.
I have installed LXDE in chroot and did update/upgrade (metric shitton of packages were upgraded).

How can I calibrate the touchscreen?
It seems that tslib is doing some right click emulation, but the right click tap-n-hold time is so small that every touch causes right click.
Keyboard does not work properly - Fn key does not work. So I cannot do anything useful.

Good work. I see a lot of potential. Ubuntu,LXDE,Firefox,Claws,Pidgin and XChat and I will be happy as a clam.

Last edited by 0xDEADBEEF; 2009-03-18 at 06:16.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Install xkb-data from Mer repo, then your Mer should have working Fn key

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Chorley UK
I want to do this but it seems too complicated for me as I am a noooooob.

Any noobish instructions out there or any advice to simplify the whole process slightly?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by cardyology View Post
I want to do this but it seems too complicated for me as I am a noooooob.
To be honest, I'd ask why you were doing it, then?

Any noobish instructions out there or any advice to simplify the whole process slightly?
b-man is working on a new install guide and/or installer AIUI. Alternatively, you could try Mer, which is built on Ubuntu and has an easy-to-use installer, and apt-get install your way to an environment you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Chorley UK
I tried Mer & the easy debian, really I wanna totally replace maemo with ubuntu.
I guess I 'll wait for the easy installer.
Thanks.

My original bootmenu issues were fixed by installing Deblet Bootmenu. After installing that and b-man's rootstrap I could chroot, add some swap and apt-get install sys-env-x to get a basic Jaunty install.

But problems with the ports repo meant I couldn't try ubuntu-desktop so I installed Xubuntu instead. I have a N800 so installed onboard & xvkbd before booting (apt-get install + edit /etc/gdm/Init/Default to load it with -always-on-top before login screen) - gok wouldn't install due to the broken repos.

Anyway it booted, xvkbd worked but generally sucked - painfully slow plus it kept repeating the last key I clicked but I managed to log on and it did eventually login to the desktop.

While its a great achievement to see Xubuntu running on the N800 it was painfully slow and I couldn't get the accessibility setting app to load so you have to edit the config files manually to set up xvkbd after login.

Hopefully the regular ubuntu-desktop works better, but I think its too slow for any form of productive use. Still early days.

Many thanks to b-man and xnt for making this possible and helping on IRC.

-PG

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
My original bootmenu issues were fixed by installing Deblet Bootmenu. After installing that and b-man's rootstrap I could chroot, add some swap and apt-get install sys-env-x to get a basic Jaunty install.

But problems with the ports repo meant I couldn't try ubuntu-desktop so I installed Xubuntu instead. I have a N800 so installed onboard & xvkbd before booting (apt-get install + edit /etc/gdm/Init/Default to load it with -always-on-top before login screen) - gok wouldn't install due to the broken repos.

Anyway it booted, xvkbd worked but generally sucked - painfully slow plus it kept repeating the last key I clicked but I managed to log on and it did eventually login to the desktop.

While its a great achievement to see Xubuntu running on the N800 it was painfully slow and I couldn't get the accessibility setting app to load so you have to edit the config files manually to set up xvkbd after login.

Hopefully the regular ubuntu-desktop works better, but I think its too slow for any form of productive use. Still early days.

Many thanks to b-man and xnt for making this possible and helping on IRC.

-PG
I tried XFCE and thought it was ridiculously slow too. Then, I realized that gnome-keyring-daemon was using 100% processor. Killing that process helped, until it would popup again. Eventually, I found out that nm-applet and gnome-keyring-daemon were causing serious issues. By kiling nm-applet and gnome-keyring-daemon I was able to use xfce. FWIW: I also ended up having the same issues in gnome.
Anyway, have a look and see if you're having the same issues....once I got rid of the processor hogs, both xfce and gnome were pretty usuable. They were still considerably slower than hildon and e17.

It's probably time to move these instructions into an easier to digest format. Message boards are a terrible place to put such great news!

I would like to see a wiki page set up for this so that I can follow the instructions clearly instead of chasing them down through a chain of messages.

Also, the instructions posted at the start of this thread seem to skip a lot of the initial setup while still in Diablo. Any chance that can be expanded upon? I try and perform the first umount and it tells me that it's in use (obviously).

Being able to run Jaunty is fantastic news. I look forward to being able to know where to target when stripping down the install so that my internet tablet is actually useful and responsive.

(Maemo blows)

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
To be honest, I'd ask why you were doing it, then?
Um, doy, maybe because he'd like to use Ubuntu on his tablet?

Hi guys,
I have a question - as far as I know, there is a special Ubuntu version for netbooks and another one for ARM powered devices. I guess you are talking about the ARM version here, does it have a special interface similar to the netbook remix? How is the speed compared to maemo - if it's still responsive and not lagging too badly, I'm really looking forward to using it!

Tags
nokia n8x0, ubuntu