OK,

Just spent some time playing with my new 770.

Initial impressions:

* It's small. Boy. None of the pictures on the Nokia website do it justice. It's got that 'wow factor' that the original iPod had. If anything, I think it is sexier than a Nano. I'll take it to work tomorrow and see what the general reaction is.
* YES - the screen is incredible. It needs a bit more of a flexible zoom but it really does have the wow factor.
* The screen has a soft cover (e.g. there is something in front of the glass, sorry not a technical explanation) which is very cool.
* Took me some time to work out where the MAC address was (I have a mac secured network at home) - it's on the box or behind the battery!
* Seems a bit sluggish, if I am honest. Later tonight I'll try updating the firmware with the files on the Nokia site. It's by no means 'slow' but doesn't knock my socks off yet. You have to wait for a full battery before you can update the firmware (actually I haven't checked if I have the latest or a newer firmware yet...)
* Converted an episode of the West Wing from my Tivo and uploaded it (quite slow, not full USB2 speeds). Very watchable!
* Web browser will take some getting used to, but its good. First time I've used a mobile Opera and it really does feel like the desktop version in a strange way
* Nothing quite describes the buzz you get when you load up the BBC website and connect to the live stream of Radio 1. Cool!!!
* Haven't installed Plucker but will be this evening. My favourite Palm app, so very happy to have it on the 770.
* Wireless reception so far is 'acceptable'.
* Unless I'm completely blind, it seems that you can't put the stylus in or out of the holder when the cover is over the unit.
* Newsreader doesn't have a method for importing OPML groups that I can find, so it will be a bit of a slug to import them all, but it's going to rock.

Overall, I'm pleased. Apart from a few niggles it has more than met my expectations so far.

Sorry, no photos because I managed to leave my digital camera at work - seems the other guys have got this covered though.

Mine's in Barking.

Mine shipped earlier today. The UPS tracking info doesn't work though so I can't tell where it is yet. It shouldn't matter though. I paid for next day

Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve
Mine shipped earlier today. The UPS tracking info doesn't work though so I can't tell where it is yet. It shouldn't matter though. I paid for next day
UPS has just started showing mine - its in Belgium as of 8.45 - lets hope it can swim quick across the channel for tomorrow

Buzz

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
Thumbs up for Nokia! The device is really great. The screen is incredible. So Sharp! Wifi setup is very easy. The opera browser works great too. Renders most of the sites correctly.

The only complain I have so far is that the device is out of memory easily when opening large PDF files and it then gets a little slow. I'll try to install evince later and see if handles large files better.

Well... I manage to crash the device I opened a 4.7Mb PDF file and it worked. Although slow. But when I tried to open a second PDF file (of approx 3.5Mb) the device just hanged.

First post here, have kept an eye on the 770 for a few months and ordered mine last week, arrived lunch time today and been playing with it for a couple of hours. My impressions:

- it's small
- screen is fantastic, download some digital photos that I resized to 800 x 480, they look great
- very simple to setup wireless internet connection, took longer to reconfigure my router to allow another device than it did to configure the 770
- browser is very usable, reasonable speed, not as quick as IE or Firefox on my PC but pretty good
- simple connection to PC, appears as a storage device and hence easy to copy to/from
- the chess game plays at a good level, too good for me

Very happy with my purchase so far

Kevin

Feeling of a bit of an idiot this morning, as the Nokia website doesn't have any updates yet - just the software that will enable updates in the future!

Anyhow - my 12 hour report is as follows:

* The Real player and mpeg support of is the 'hidden gem'. Real video streams perfectly at about 220kbps and using it as a portable radio is something that I hadn't thought I would do but I've done a lot already
*It is still a little sluggish. Especially when you have more than about 2 apps in memory, the keyboard takes a little time to appear and switching reminds me of Windows CE v1.1 on a Philips Velo. I am sure that this will improve with updates... and it's not too bad (don't want to sound like it is a real problem).
* The newsreader is good, but not great. Adding feeds takes time and I just can't seem to get on with it... sure there is something I'm not doing, does anybody have any tips?
* Mail is well implemented and works smoothly with IMAP
* As with all v1 Nokia products there are a few design niggles (steal some people from Apple, Nokia!!!) - mainly related to the cover. You can't take off the cover if the charger or USB cable are attached, you can't take out the stylus if the cover is on the unit. Turning over the unit in the cover feels clunky and needs two hands.
* Browsing on it is brilliant. It is the first ever handheld device that I have used for 'surfing' rather than 'looking at websites'.... to explain - it is not a restriction to follow interesting links or explore stories... something I have never done with a PocketPC / Clie or Palm
* Bluetooth connection via GPRS is good

Originally Posted by gadget1974
* As with all v1 Nokia products there are a few design niggles (steal some people from Apple, Nokia!!!) - mainly related to the cover. You can't take off the cover if the charger or USB cable are attached, you can't take out the stylus if the cover is on the unit. Turning over the unit in the cover feels clunky and needs two hands.
Actually, you can't take off the cover completely but it is possible to turn over the cover even with charger or USB cable attached.

Doh

How stupid do I feel ?!?!?!?