Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
Are you sure you followed the instructions correctly?
I have tested it myself and it worked fine.

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
Are you sure you followed the instructions correctly?
I have tested it myself and it worked fine.
definately.
everything is placed correctly and the symlink-command also did it's job obviously.
don't know why it isn't loading at all.

i'll go back to default and check if the nokia hands are still playing.

ok... nokia hands video no longer shows up too....

mhm... i had powatool installed before but reverted the changes before i uninstalled it.... but maybe there went something wrong?

albeit... the only changes made by powatool where a new folder and a .disabled extension on the nokia hands video (it renamed the video so .avi.disabled so it wasn't loaded at bootup). but like i said: every single change is undone. o.O

i'm crawling in the dark ^^

hi guys is there anyway to get ya vid on using ssh, after a ton of readin i have figured out how to use it and its much easier, its more of a "windows" feel, the terminal just baffles me. so if it would be possible could ya please just tell me what to put where through winscp. i can find the folders and move whatever to whereever. and also i was wondering why cant i just remove the welcome video and just replace it with mine? doesnt it just play whatever vid is in that folder? i have tried this but it dont work, it just skips the vid i put in, but as soon as i put the original vid back it works, even if i name mine in the exact same way and encode it the same, how is that possible. anyway would appreciate any help thanx.

ok... nokia hands showed up again... i deleted the default.conf and made a new one in x-term with vim.... and taaaadaaaaaa... there it was
(maybe there was something wrong with the copied default.conf?!)

after that i edited the file and changed the name behind filename= to maemo.avi but that doesn't seem to work at all. :/

EDIT:
after all it worked but i don't know why it didn't at the first attemp. ^^
i only copied the video again to MyDocs and moved it from there to /opt/media/ (which i symlinked to /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/) and blapp.... the video showed up smoothly

strange behaviour though.... but now i'm happy ;D

Last edited by b666m; 2010-02-03 at 14:19.

Originally Posted by Tjgib2001 View Post
hi guys is there anyway to get ya vid on using ssh, after a ton of readin i have figured out how to use it and its much easier, its more of a "windows" feel, the terminal just baffles me. so if it would be possible could ya please just tell me what to put where through winscp. i can find the folders and move whatever to whereever. and also i was wondering why cant i just remove the welcome video and just replace it with mine? doesnt it just play whatever vid is in that folder? i have tried this but it dont work, it just skips the vid i put in, but as soon as i put the original vid back it works, even if i name mine in the exact same way and encode it the same, how is that possible. anyway would appreciate any help thanx.
It can be done via SSH yeah, and there are instructions on other threads about it.
What you have to do is edit the default.conf file found on: /etc/hildon-welcome.d/

You want to change the name of the hands video with a custom one(for example boot.avi).
Then you need to place your custom boot video(e.g boot.avi) on: /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/

The Following User Says Thank You to Lacedaemon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
It can be done via SSH yeah, and there are instructions on other threads about it.
What you have to do is edit the default.conf file found on: /etc/hildon-welcome.d/

You want to change the name of the hands video with a custom one(for example boot.avi).
Then you need to place your custom boot video(e.g boot.avi) on: /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/

cheers ok i understand the placement and renameing. its just the editing the config file no idea how to do do that. do i just download the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread and replace it with that?

No, the one on this thread is supposed to be used with the boot video included in this thread.

If you want to use a different boot video, you need to edit the name of your default.conf file by yourself.
That can be done through your device terminal(you need leafpad or a different text editor application to do that) or via Terminal on Mac/Linux PC(sudo pico default.conf)

The Following User Says Thank You to Lacedaemon For This Useful Post:
ohh right im starting to understand now. thanks for all your help and patience lacedaemon looks like i got a lot to learn i only know windows.

I have pretty much everything figured out by now. But here is the deal. The vids only show if I place them directly in the media folder. If I place them somewhere else e.g. /opt and link them into the media folder....no go. Nothing shows. Tried like 50 million times. Somehow my simlink won't work. Strange.
Guess I just have to use the space on my root (bummer, but for one vid not the end of the world).