Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I'm sure MeeGo will run decently on n900 hardware, but by the time it comes out; the 'competitions' may already make yet another step or two forward, so the grass on the other side will look greener still.
Hopefully Nokia will have new hardware out by then as well. But what competitors and Nokia do for new stuff is immaterial to MeeGo's performance on the N900 as it exists.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Well, it better allow overclocking with MeeGo on the N900.
Nothing "allows" it, people do it by installing a modified kernel.

Default 600Mhz to 1GHz is a BIG difference even in Maemo. So I'm sure it'll do wonders for MeeGo. =)
You go have fun with that. I'll stick with my rather stable 250-600MHz clocks.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Hopefully Nokia will have new hardware out by then as well. But what competitors and Nokia do for new stuff is immaterial to MeeGo's performance on the N900 as it exists.
Exactly.

My point was that there will always be things to whine about and we'll probably see more people talking down MeeGo on n900 based on unrealistic expectations.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Also interesting:

Handset Performance Optimizations
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=1857

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
How come this:
My point was that there will always be things to whine about and we'll probably see more people talking down MeeGo on n900 based on unrealistic expectations.

is proven by this:
I'm sure MeeGo will run decently on n900 hardware, but by the time it comes out; the 'competitions' may already make yet another step or two forward, so the grass on the other side will look greener still.

For me those two quotes really do not make much sense. IMO you are the one "talking down" on MeeGo on N900 without even checking the results, no? Or am I being unfair?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
For me those two quotes really do not make much sense. IMO you are the one "talking down" on MeeGo on N900 without even checking the results, no? Or am I being unfair?
The advances (performances, features, etc) implemented by the competition (ie: other devices, including the ones by Nokia), will (unreasonably) rise the expectations (of the current users) of what MeeGo should be like on n900.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Im very certain that Meego will be as fast if not faster than Maemo by the time it is off beta and a proper release

If it was to stay the same speed as it is currently everyone would be as well to pack their bags and go home now LOL

Interestingly (and I know Meego is a very early beta for dev purposes only) but Nitdroid running from even a class 4 sd card is almost as fast as Maemo is natively

But then I doubt there are many (if any) parallels that can be drawn between Nitdroid and Meego, certainly at this point in time

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
A little while ago (months back) there was little discussion regarding the FPS of the Maemo software on the n900.
Is it only on Maemo OS, or will we have the same low FPS on MeeGo?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I bought a class 10 sd card a while ago for a high price, but I expect that they will be cheap by the time Meego hits the streets in force. I'm enjoying my N900 more every day, though, so moving on to anything isn't a high priority for me, and when I do move on I hope I'll be dealing with a company I never heard of, not one of the big bullies that run the market now.