Hi guys ,

I don't know about you , but around '06 , '08 , I thought the future of mobile devices would work just like a desktop platform (Multiple Windows with X close marks , a start menu ) but with a large display so you wouldn't use a pen.

But with the new windows 8 , it got me thinking , is the desktop architecture not what we want anymore?

I mean in wikipedia it writes n9 , as the successor to n900 , and the icon home bar , makes it look reminiscent of an iphone.

So this brings to my final question , the Tizen OS , apperantly what linux community picked over Maemo to go ahead on phones , does this also not have the maemo 5 like desktop structure? Is it mainly icon based?

So tired of android , ios and a bit of this meego..

Originally Posted by denizg View Post
So this brings to my final question , the Tizen OS , apperantly what linux community picked over Maemo to go ahead on phones , does this also not have the maemo 5 like desktop structure? Is it mainly icon based?

So tired of android , ios and a bit of this meego..
If you're tired of android then don't expect much from Tizen:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...android-clone/

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
if you're tired of android then don't expect much from tizen:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...android-clone/

Well if this is the case, I am pretty much over for any excitement in the next 4 years.

Going to buy a n900 , sell my n9 , and keep it as a fun phone , while I use my iphone as a daily user.

Last edited by denizg; 2014-03-24 at 17:04.

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
Keep the N9 and buy the N900! And buy me another N900 as well!
Lol, I'm kidding. But yeah, nowadays everything is plain boring, there aren't any exciting things like before. Android and iOS with WinPhone just copying each other all over again and again......
BTW, are you from Zagreb? Because Zagreb is ZG and you have ZG in your username.

Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
Keep the N9 and buy the N900! And buy me another N900 as well!
Lol, I'm kidding. But yeah, nowadays everything is plain boring, there aren't any exciting things like before. Android and iOS with WinPhone just copying each other all over again and again......
BTW, are you from Zagreb? Because Zagreb is ZG and you have ZG in your username.
Lol no not from ZG , Crotia is a nice country though.

To be honest I just got the n9 3 days ago. It looks nice physically , but I have not really gotten attached to it , am I missing something?

Btw I have no wifi perhaps that is why.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by denizg View Post
... is the desktop architecture not what we want anymore?
It's really not a question of what we want; mobile devices are, to a much greater extent than desktop machines, produced out of the vision of individual designers. Individual designers, that is, who have risen to a place of prominence in large corporations, because it is still just way too expensive for small groups or organizations to build mobile devices. (Consider, for example, how much effort it has taken for Jolla to bring out their own phone, and the per-unit price required for a low-quantity run like the Neo900.)

Designers at Nokia probably made the most serious attempt at creating the hand-held desktop with their Internet Tablet series, but it was of course Steve Jobs' multi-decade attempt to turn computers into appliances that has made the biggest impact on the modern industry. (Consider his efforts with the Apple III and the original Macintosh...) The iPod, iPhone, and iPad have shown that you can make a boatload of cash off of a small device that is entirely locked down and used more like a portable TV than a portable computer.

We have left the era of "computer as tool" and entered the era of "computer as toy". Hopefully, the pendulum will eventually swing back again...

Basically, all the recent efforts to bring a "phone-friendly" interface to Linux (Android, Tizen, Meego, even Sailfish) are all attempts to create an iPhone clone. That is, hide as much of the OS as possible from the user, and turn the device into a fun toy. I was dismayed watching a video where a guy picked up a Jolla phone and started cursing at it because he couldn't figure out the various swipe combinations in less than 60 seconds. It was too complicated! It wasn't enough of a fun toy!

Yeah, the current state of mobile computing is just disheartening.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
We have left the era of "computer as tool" and entered the era of "computer as toy". Hopefully, the pendulum will eventually swing back again...
Exactly that...