I have searched so forgive me if there is a thread on this.

Is anyone developing/developed anything that can make the N900 a wireless modem router?

Cheers, Alex.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Hello alex,

Yes, one can enable officially unsupported Bluetooth profiles such as PAN and DUN. Wiki page. This involves the command line interface though.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Cool, thanks for that. How about over wifi/wlan?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Ahh yes. You mean something like Joikuspot. That feature is rather often requested but AFAIK nobody tried this yet, and there is not a nice GUI for this either. However the functionality is relatively simple and straightforward. Once I have the device I will write about this on the Maemo wiki. However, the solution will involve again command line interface. Maybe someone will write a GUI for this some time.

How well this works depends on if the WiFi driver can be put in Access Point/Master mode. If that doesn't work, you need ad-hoc. This means only 1 device, and WiFi PSM (Power Save Mode) will be disabled which means the device will use considerable juice. Like with Joikuspot. Actually, using both GPRS and WiFi will lower battery life significantly. There is also no encryption used between devices when using ad-hoc. It only supports plain-text or WEP. If the WiFi driver supports putting the WiFi chip in Access Point/Master mode then that is a big plus.

So first the WiFi interface must be set up correctly using iwconfig and ifconfig.

Once the connection is established do this to enable NAT on wlan0 from 192.168.0.0/24 (aka 192.168.0.*) execute as root:
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # assign IPv4 192.168.0.1 for range 192.168.0.0/24
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 # enable device-wide IPv4 forwarding
modprobe ip_tables # load IPT (IPTables) kernel module
modprobe iptable_nat # load IPT NAT kernel module
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -i wlan0 -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE # NAT for dynamic IPv4 on output interface ppp0 from input interface wlan0 from source range 192.168.0.0/24

Then give client IPv4 192.168.0.2 (for example, or anything inbetween .2 and .254), netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1, and dns your provider's. Now should work. Optionally, fire up VPN client because of lack of good cryptography.

Ofcourse, best is AP/Master mode + WPA2 + DHCP server (exporting dnsmasq on WLAN)...

Assigning IPv6 range + rtadvd is also neat...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
It would seem that Joikuspot is coming to N900 early 2010.

Only found a Finnish news story about it:
http://www.tietokone.fi/uutiset/suos...nokia_n900_lle

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fouro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Hello Community,

Is it possible to use the W-Lan Module in the N900 as a Host?

It would be nice to use it as a W-Lan Access Point to have access to the Internet over GSM/3G.

I guess it will not work with the internal W-Lan, am I right?

cu
Helmuth

Second that request. I would miss this after getting so used to Jokuspot. I am pretty sure it is possible to do but would be nice to have it confirmed.

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
please do a search before starting a new thread. by simply searching for "n900 wlan router" i came across this thread which discusses exactly the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to edgar2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: