Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mailcomx View Post
Hello!!
Is it possible to register the phone number when finished recording?
On my todo list. Sorry, I've made no progress whatsoever this week. Been distracted by other matters.

On the topic of extra dialog for editing the format string, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Amongst other things, it will be compatible with the "select folder" approach just above it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Great!!!

Bug i found:
sometimes during a phone conversation when the phone gets under load for a few seconds or more, the recording goes out of sync - me and the other person talking are not synched well.

Feature request:
make it a service without UI - this application is always running on my device

Great work.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by impeham View Post
Bug i found:
sometimes during a phone conversation when the phone gets under load for a few seconds or more, the recording goes out of sync - me and the other person talking are not synched well.
Unfortunately, this is probably not fixable; recording audio turns out to be a surprisingly expensive process. When it starts recording, Orecchiette puts a huge load on the phone; and if the CPU gets maxed out, something's got to give.

I'm actually kind of happy to hear that it was Orecchiette that was shoved off the CPU, rather than the phone call itself. (I've never tried to load down the phone that much before...)

Right now, my only advice would be to try to avoid running other processes while recording a phone call.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
If it's only CPU load, then a slight overclock may help. But we all know the disadvantages of overclocking too
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
But we all know the disadvantages of overclocking too
[off-topic]Orly? Long time ago, I've put severely damaged (torn-out secondary board, torn out usb pads, broken screen, etc) on 1150 mhz *locked*, doing file compression (and deleting of resulting thing) in a loop. It have charging cables soldered directly to pads under battery, and corpse of end-of-life battery soldered directly to battery pins.

It is running for almost two years now, minus few power outages and 2 days when I was moving to new home - for time to time I check it, by carrying small, old TV, and connecting it to video out. Running flawlessly, of course, and I bet it will for next ten years or so, unless other vital parts (charging) fail first.

So much about overclocking "disadvantages" I plan to celebrate Neo900 release by writing a half-serious article about it, linking to all joerg_rw's pretensional quotes about how overclocking kills your device. [/off-topic]
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Sorry for thread hijacking but wear is not the only thing, temperature and batterylife are other things that may be considered as disadvantages. Also I don't know what to think of wear but my darlings are happily clocked @805mhz
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

Temperature of my frankeN900 under constant 100% load at 1150 is 39-40C. Not bad, I would say, especially that non-overclocked N900 can go as high as 60C while charging (in N900, charging chip is the component with most potential for heat generating, NOT the CPU, despite popular myths).

As for battery life, can't say anything for this example for obvious reasons But my main N900 clocked since dawns of time as 900 max, there is 0 practical difference in battery life, as compared to ones clocked at stock.

There was a lengthy discussion on TMO, (that I can't find a link for, right now), where someone (misiak?) tried to get a more scientific numbers on battery usage while OC'ing. Some results suggested a little less usage when OC'ing (due to more time spent in C4), some suggested a little more (mp3 playback, IIRC). I guess that net result is ~0 difference

Despite using 900 mhz as max for ages, I would - based on my personal experiences and experiences of others - instantly put 1150 mhz as max, if only freemangordon's SR fixes would contain calculations for above 900 mhz, too. This is the only thing keeping me from 1150 mhz usage, nowadays (I learned the hard way, that there are n crucial components in N900, that will fail sooner than SoC).

I guess we end this OT here, we may continue it in half year, when I put up a thread about my poor N900's remnant's stress test OK?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-03-28 at 22:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Ooookay, getting back on track now:

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Unfortunately, this is probably not fixable; recording audio turns out to be a surprisingly expensive process. When it starts recording, Orecchiette puts a huge load on the phone; and if the CPU gets maxed out, something's got to give.
I seem to recall something about AAC compression having hardware acceleration, as long as you use the right encoder. Perhaps worth checking on?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
I seem to recall something about AAC compression having hardware acceleration, as long as you use the right encoder. Perhaps worth checking on?
Hardware acceleration would definitely be the way to go! (That's certainly how cellphones can manage to record video...) I personally have no idea what hardware accel options are available on the n900, or whether they can be used by gstreamer. I guess I need to do a litttle more homework.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording