Notices

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
(...) Er, N9? I was planning on eventually seeing if I could migrate this to the N9, but I doubt Orecchiette would work unmodified on it right now... (I don't have an N9 to test against myself, so it'd be some effort to get it working.)
Eheh, just to call to my self on N900. But from N9 is the idea of pop up question with saving or not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Garrett_PL View Post
I was thinking about that white and black list option, might be nice to add an option for pop up question after each call - " Do You want to save this ..."
This sounds like a great idea.

I can imagine having 3 options for each list of numbers:
A) Do not record
B) Record
C) Ask after each call

But then the logic would have to be different, since blacklist and whitelist would not be enough..
Also it might be useful to enable/disable recording just for unknown numbers.

I also have one feature request myself. It might be out of scope of this app, so no pressure there :
I'm using the recording function of N900 mainly for recording lectures and seminars and I miss an option to somehow synchronize my notes with the recording. So it would be nice if there was some kind of text input box while recording, so I could just post a quick note. I'm not sure if there is any standard for this, so it could just create a .txt file next to the audio file and with each note do something like:
Code:
echo "$RECORDING_TIME, $CURRENT_TIME, This is my note" >> todaysrecording.txt
By the way, thanks for this app, Copernicus, I'll try it when I have time.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I'm using the recording function of N900 mainly for recording lectures and seminars and I miss an option to somehow synchronize my notes with the recording. So it would be nice if there was some kind of text input box while recording, so I could just post a quick note. I'm not sure if there is any standard for this
Interesting! Actually, there is a standard for this, although for a different use: subtitles. I'm an Anime addict, and not a speaker of Japanese, so I've become somewhat familiar with the art of subtitling; there's been an enormous amount of progress made in recent years managing the synchronization of short lines of text with a running video. And I've even seen it done with audio as well. Let me see if GStreamer has any built-in support for subtitling, and see if I can mess around with it...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Hey, quick note for anybody using Orecchiette -- for audio playback, I've been using the default Gstreamer plugin "playbin2", a generic playback plugin that supports all sorts of audio and video. And, I'm embarrassed to say, I forgot to tell it to only play back audio...

So, in fact, if you want, right now you can play back a video using Orecchiette. It doesn't work very well (the title bar stays on the screen), but it's something to play with if you're bored.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Well, I'm not ready to start packaging audio data into containers just yet. But I'll go ahead and see if I can add Vorbis to the list of encodings for Orecchiette.
I think i might have been not clear enough - I meant that container is absolutely Off-topic here, as we need *just* audio in vorbis (which ends up in files with .ogg extension). The confusion arise, because .OGG is sometimes used as a container (but, nowadays, it's rather good habit to store audio-video containers as .ogv), but what interest us for Orecch' is, in any case "plain" .ogg file of vorbis-encoded audio.

Well, that would make sense, if I were using the command line to construct the GStreamer pipeline. However, by constructing and managing the plugins directly, Orecchiette has much better control over them. (Thus the ease with which it can pause, stop, or otherwise modify running pipelines

And honestly, I figure if a user knows enough about GStreamer plugins to specify a slew of advanced options, they're probably able to construct a custom pipeline for themselves... But in any case, I'll take a look at EAC and see if I can steal any of their ideas.
Hm, but I wasn't talking about advanced parameters for gstreamer, I just mean't parameters given to encoder (vorbis or whatever). But I may be talking nonsense here, as I'm not familiar with gstreamer too - so, let me ask you a question:
How do you encode captured audio into <whatever>? Are there some build-in encoders in gstreamer and you're using it, or you just pass result of whole pipeline to Vorbis encoder? If the latter, it's where I mean those advanced parameters should be passed.

If, OTOH, gstreamer handles everything (inc. encoding), I'm sure it also passes commands to encoder via gstreamer plugins (correct me if I'm wrong), and I would be pretty surprised, if gstreamer wouldn't allow to pass some additional parameters to encoder.

I think it would be very useful feature - for example, I'm quite experienced with codecs, formats, and audio parameters, but I don't have a clue about gstreamer, let alone being able to construct it's pipeline (for anything). That's why I would like Orecch' to handle all those things (and dbus, and so goes on), but let me pass some parameters to encoder itself.

Technically, if you're in a videocall with someone, sure. But I'm not entirely sure it would be a good idea on the N900. I was just recording another phone call a few minutes ago, and was surprised at just how warm my phone got during the call; the CPU was probably running all-out just to encode the audio data. I'd hate to see just how much pressure you'd place on the phone by trying to encode video as well. (I guess you could just store it raw, but you'd probably run out of space very quickly that way...)
AIUI, video that we get (and send) during video call, is already compressed for sending through internet (either by us if talking about what we send, or by another party, so we receive compressed one already). So a way to just plain save what we got (and final result of what we send, just before sending it into vast plains of net), could be all we need.

But, I agree, that it doesn't sounds like priority functionality in Orecch'.

/Estel

// Edit

Hey, thanks a lot for putting me into credits Even more thanks, for putting SPX as default encoding options - this small, brilliant codec really deserves it. NFC why someone could get idea that "it doesn't work well on windows", btw? Leaving alone fact, that windows is hardly a mark for quality (well, ext* also doesn't work "well" in windows ), Speex works well on my windows machine since day 1 (of Speex public releases). I can hardly even imagine, how some recorder audio file may "not work well" on some OS...

// Edit 2

Would it be possible, to allow choosing quality (either 8 kHz or 16 kHz, IIRC) for speex?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-06-10 at 21:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
How do you encode captured audio into <whatever>? Are there some build-in encoders in gstreamer and you're using it, or you just pass result of whole pipeline to Vorbis encoder?
Yes, GStreamer is a complete audio/video management package; it has "elements" available to handle every step of audio processing, from retrieving raw data, processing it, encoding it, and storing it; or the other way around, pulling encoded data out of a file (or other source), decoding, processing, and displaying it.

If you want, you can call each of these elements directly from the command line. You can use a "pipe" mechanism to direct the output of one element into the input of another, thus the term "pipleline". This is, in fact, how Recaller is using GStreamer. Used in this manner, you can pass command-line arguments directly to each element.

You can also construct elements within your own code; this is how I'm doing it. Used in this way, you can receive signals to get updates on how the element is working, or send commands to change its behavior. I have access to all the same parameters, I just need to make those parameters available to you (in some form).

I'll see about adding controls as I go. I could probably re-use Pierogi's "endless panel" mechanism here to provide every last detail of every last element, if you'd like...

AIUI, video that we get (and send) during video call, is already compressed for sending through internet
Ah, true; that would make things a lot simpler...

But, I agree, that it doesn't sounds like priority functionality in Orecch'.
Yeah, if I'm going to dip my toes into the world of video, I think I'd prefer to start an entirely different pasta for it.

Would it be possible, to allow choosing quality (either 8 kHz or 16 kHz, IIRC) for speex?
Actually sending that parameter to the "speexenc" element is trivial. Coming up with a decent user interface for it is probably a little more effort, but I'll come up with something... Thanks!

Edit: There are a lot of Speex parameters in this element. They have 8, 16, and 32 kHz modes available (along with an "Auto" mode, which apparently chooses the mode that most closely matches the audio source). And, they've also got a separate "Quality" parameter, with an integer value ranging from 0 to 10. Anyway, I'll see if I can make these parameters available...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2013-06-09 at 23:09.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I haven't been here for a few days and when I come back what do I see? Copernicus, you are unstopable!

I want to start developing. Are there any guides that you followed to get started? Something that gives the big picture? I'm good about following details, I just don't know how to take the first bite.

I'll install this later and test. Thank you!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
I want to start developing. Are there any guides that you followed to get started? Something that gives the big picture? I'm good about following details, I just don't know how to take the first bite.
Well, hmm. How big of a picture are we talking here?

For me, the one thing that has been my best guide for developing on the N900 has to be the Qt SDK. As an SDK, it isn't perfect, and has a lot more rough edges than you'll find in commercial SDKs, but man is it just chock full of useful stuff. Documentation, example code, the works.

(I should note that Qt 4.7 was the last version that had explicit support for Maemo. I think Qt 4.8 can still build Maemo executables, but you'll probably want to stay away from Qt 5.0 and greater...)

Another enormous advantage for developing on the N900 -- there's a huge library of high-quality open-source code available. You can learn a lot by just grabbing an app that you like, opening up its source code, and working your way through it.

I should say, if you don't already have a background in writing code, it might be helpful to first work your way through an "introduction to programming" book or website. Having at least a general idea of what a line of code can and cannot do can be a great help in understanding what folks are doing in their code, and why...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I just tested 0.0.1 version and did not recorded a received call even though Record Phone Call and "no limit..." options ticked. i tried using the default output format (.spx).
Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by saponga View Post
I just tested 0.0.1 version and did not recorded a received call even though Record Phone Call and "no limit..." options ticked. i tried using the default output format (.spx).
Yeah, sorry, it seems that the DBus signals I'm using aren't quite the right ones for receiving calls. I'm working on it.

Also, turns out I've got the encoder selection messed up, so it isn't actually recording in Speex when you choose SPX. I'm working on that too...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording