I got the device for about 6 months now...but have no idea what I should do with it. Tried playing DivX, but performance and the display quality was somewhat disappointing (not bright enough and choppy every 2 minutes or so), which made me resort to my Fujitsu U1010. Web browsing is slow, even with Tear 0.3 preview 5...again, I went back to the U1010 for surfing.

Basically, I'm scratching my head as to what I can use the N810 for that I can't with the U1010. Reason is that I'll be going for a 3-month cycle tour and will be bringing one device with me. So far, the U1010 is winning except the N810 is smaller, lighter and can charge from a USB port (and uses the same battery as my E71).

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by chatbox View Post
I got the device for about 6 months now...but have no idea what I should do with it. Tried playing DivX, but performance and the display quality was somewhat disappointing (not bright enough and choppy every 2 minutes or so), which made me resort to my Fujitsu U1010. Web browsing is slow, even with Tear 0.3 preview 5...again, I went back to the U1010 for surfing.

Basically, I'm scratching my head as to what I can use the N810 for that I can't with the U1010. Reason is that I'll be going for a 3-month cycle tour and will be bringing one device with me. So far, the U1010 is winning except the N810 is smaller, lighter and can charge from a USB port (and uses the same battery as my E71).
In my case, the question should be "what don't you use your NIT for?". When I get home from work every night it sits on the arm of my easy chair in the living room. For the next 3 hours I pay my bills, send and receive email, chat on Pigin, talk on Skype, order pizza. check the TV listings, check the weather, listen to last.fm through Valgaume, receive news updates from LA Times, watch the lates videos on MyTube (YouTube), and send and receive SMS (text messages from cell phones). Then at 11:00pm I plug it in at my bedside table to wake me in the morning. Now if I could just get it to drive me to work!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
In my case, the question should be "what don't you use your NIT for?". When I get home from work every night it sits on the arm of my easy chair in the living room. For the next 3 hours I pay my bills, send and receive email, chat on Pigin, talk on Skype, order pizza. check the TV listings, check the weather, listen to last.fm through Valgaume, receive news updates from LA Times, watch the lates videos on MyTube (YouTube), and send and receive SMS (text messages from cell phones). Then at 11:00pm I plug it in at my bedside table to wake me in the morning. Now if I could just get it to drive me to work!
But being at home...isn't a keyboard and a mouse easier to use (and faster, e.g. flick of a finger will scroll a webpage, vs, pressing the D-pad...and keep pressing, or entire hand holding a stylus.) for GUI navigation and data input? Plus the bigger display on the desktop...and with the screen estate of 1680x1050, I can watch DivX, check e-mails, IM...etc with all apps visible.

Personally, I think the NIT is an on-the-go device...or is my mindset limiting its uses?

Last edited by chatbox; 2009-03-04 at 15:47.

Originally Posted by chatbox View Post
But being at home...isn't a keyboard and a mouse easier to use (and faster) for GUI navigation and data input? Plus the bigger display on the desktop...and with the screen estate of 1680x1050, I can watch DivX, check e-mails, IM...etc with all apps visible.
Don't get me wrong, I have a 20inch LCD monitor on a desktop computer in the next room and have a high-def, big screen digital TV for watching movies. The NIT is a marriage saver because I am now with my wife each night instead of in the study alone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Liberty, SC
I have to agree with Den in USA except I also do all those things on the go and at work. No WiFI? tether to the cell phone and keep going. It fits in my pocket (try that with a laptop or net-book).

Here is couple examples of how I found mine to me a life saver:

1) I have been in the check out line at the grocery store and thought I better check my checking balance - save me some embarrassment several times!

2) Driving home from work at 4:45pm I remembered I needed to pay a bill by 5:00 and I was a half hour from the nearest payment center - out came the the NIT at the next stop light and saved again I will still have power, water, heat etc when I get home!

Yes it is slower then a full computer at times, it was never meant to replace other computers it is a enhancement. True sites with a lot of java and flash programs drive me crazy but that is where my desktop, laptop and Net-book take up the slack. It keeps me from having to go in my office or whip out the laptop, in the time it takes wait for the other to boot the NIT gets most jobs done.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
For me, main differences are (if not counting the major pocketability and on-the-go factor):

1. Battery. I want the thing to be on (pidgin, mail, etc) and at the same time not something I can trip over in my livingroom or keep in mind when to recharge. My N810 can survive at least a morning-to-night cycle, I'm skeptic x86 netbooks can do that.

2. Boot/suspend time. Often I find myself looking up things on wikipedia because of a mention in a TV show. Previously, the boot/wakeup time was enough deterrent to forego doing that on my notebook.

3. It's the same device I take with me. I don't have to sync back and forth with a third or fourth device.

4. It's not the same price range, not nearly.

I use mine for video's during the train commute to and from work (1 hour each way). Once at work, it gets used for looking at sites that websense has blocked on the office system (ebay, etc), and running RSS feeds.

While in the kitchen or garage i listen to MP3's or Internet Radio (KFWB, NPR, WGBH, KFRG) as i have standalone speakers in both places. Internet radio while in the shower too.

Every other day, the dog gets a 2 hour walk, 3 hours on one of the weekend days too. So i listen to podcasts on the trails, and run VE Satellite imagery, topo maps (actually, still working on figuring topo's out) and tracking in Maemo Mapper to know where i am, and where i've been.

When the kids are hogging the PC and the laptop, i still have 'options' if i need internet access.

Of course, everything above (apart from, perhaps, RSS feeds) is nothing new as my OTHER Nokia is an E90, in a country that has working 3G.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
  • Surfing (very fast, faster than my laptop, can't understand your complaint about the speed of the browser)
  • Watching videos when on the train (excellent experience, I have full movies as well as whole seasons of tv-shows on the SD card... h.264 and normal mp4 both work great)
  • Instant messaging/irc, usually when travelling
  • Mail, of course. Well... that's not it's strongest point, there are mails Modest just cannot display, but normally it's just enough
  • SIP-calls to landlines or cell phones when I'm abroad

I know what chatbox is saying. I used to watch youtube on it, and even... other... movies ... but performance is often iffy, authough I've never had anything major happen.

Storywise, I remember ... I used to be really into Korean professional starcraft, and I needed to watch the final game of the finals before I could get home from work. Korean time, it's like primetime, but I get off of work at 7am, and that's when it was showing here. So I sat in the parking lot, and pulled up the live feed. I couldn't get video!! It was too slow for the live feed (which included a live chat application). But I could get sound. So I listened to the final moments of the final game old-fashioned play-by-play radio style, and I was soooo happy that .. ummm... Stork won. Yeah, the dude's name was Stork. Anyways, that's a cool story, because it shows some of the major disadvantages of the n810. If I had the lifebook, I would've been able to watch it live too, but I wouldn't have such a cool story either. Don't you wish you had a half-*** device for that situation?

I kid, but the main reason why I like n810 is probably because it fits into my pocket, and I can pull it out whenever, and immediately access what I was working on. It's so useful for shopping lists, todo lists, etc. I like it for the same reason I used to pay $20 for a tiny Moleskine and $20 for a nice pen, and I have yet to find the perfect wallet -- because it probably resembles stationary more than anything else. But that's just my take, and from what I hear, the lifebook is probably the one you should go with.

Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post
Once at work, it gets used for looking at sites that websense has blocked on the office system (ebay, etc), and running RSS feeds.
I don't understand how you NIT is not also blocked. In theory, how is that achieved?