Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
Looks like sparepart.dk's website restructure broke my previous link, but it looks like they still have the main cable in stock.

Note: I have successfully bought parts from these people, but have no other affiliation.
What about your symptoms?
Do you know to furpose of tiny flex between sliding part and base?

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
I have similar or same problem as you did. My touchscreen works is work properly sometimes (5% of time), has vertical and horizontal displacement (70% of time) and does not work at all (25% of time).

Calibration did not solve the issue.

The device switches between states randomly on keyboard slide in/out.

I've examined the flex (disconnected and connected both connectors board-flex and flex- touchscreen), cleaned the touchscreen (once it was removed from the flex).

I've noticed there is another thin flex on the sliding mechanism, which is in bad condition (the layers on this flex are separated). It seems its only purpose is to make galvanic connection (looks like RF interference precaution) between sliding part and the metal support, but I am not 100% sure.

Do you know the purpose of this thin flex?

Did you have mixed behavior as described above?
Your device operation and mine appear to be identical. Opening and closing the keyboard could cause it to change behavior state.

I don't know the purpose of the thin flex. It might be described in the disassembly manuals, do you have access to those? If not, you might try googling them, I no longer have them.

Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Thank you Frank, I will post the result once I try repair.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the Lower Rainland
The flex ribbon on the slider grounds between the two halves. If it brakes you will not have a working screen as I can attest to.

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silvermain View Post
The flex ribbon on the slider grounds between the two halves. If it brakes you will not have a working screen as I can attest to.
Can you be more specific.
Is this related only to:
- touch
- display itself
- both touch/display (camera and light sensor might be affected too)?

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Nope, mine was a chipped connector on the main bus cable... screen went black, corner light faded green to off, then nothing... no idea what the thin flex does... I'd have to open the unit again to make a guess based on what it was attached to...

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Hi, I was wondering if you had same symptoms as describe avove?

Do you know the purpose of this thin flex connecting moving part to the base of sliding mechanism?

The Following User Says Thank You to MindMusic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
Looks like sparepart.dk's website restructure broke my previous link, but it looks like they still have the main cable in stock.

Note: I have successfully bought parts from these people, but have no other affiliation.
Yeah, I think I remember trying these guys only to find out, upon calling them, that their site was just out of date and they didn't actually have any more in stock, and Nokia won't make any more... Trying to get people to buy the N900 I would guess... Can't hurt to ask tho as I could be mistaken.

Originally Posted by MindMusic View Post
Yeah, I think I remember trying these guys only to find out, upon calling them, that their site was just out of date and they didn't actually have any more in stock, and Nokia won't make any more... Trying to get people to buy the N900 I would guess... Can't hurt to ask tho as I could be mistaken.
I've ordered the Main Flex from sparepart.dk together with SS-93 tool.

Hope to receive it by the end of month. Given the events related to N9 and N950, it would be a good idea to buy additional battery as well.

Do you have the PDF document for how to disassemble the N810? I found it most helpful...

Originally Posted by MindMusic View Post
Do you have the PDF document for how to disassemble the N810? I found it most helpful...
Yes, I've found it, also there is another source of more detailed images:
http://people.openmoko.org/joerg/N810-disassembly/

The tiny flex I've mentioned earlier is here:
http://people.openmoko.org/joerg/N81...00265_jpg.jpeg

Above the left lower torex base.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-06-25 at 20:37.