OMG!! T_T *gives my condolences to the guy who made liqbase a reality*

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
This is absolutely heartbreaking; Gary had just become a father again, of a little baby boy. He was so young, so enthusiastic...

A picture of a bunch of us hanging out together:

Last edited by qole; 2011-09-14 at 23:14. Reason: added the picture

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Birmingham - UK
Gary was a cool and genuine guy. My first Intro to him was when he came down from Manchester to Birmingham for the First Tech / Maemo meetup we had to celebrate the launch of the Nokia N900.

Heres a couple of pics I've dugg up. I think I've got a few more lurky around somewhere that I will dig up.

Gary, you will be missed xx.
Attached Images

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MeeGoExperts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
i'm not a developer but i've always followed whats going on etc and my first introduction to what people were doing with the n900 was with gary and his tinkering.
when everyone around will see negatives and now a days it's the thing to do, i found from reading gary's posts and blog that he was always very positive. i never did meet him or talk but i did read quite a lot from him as his personality showed. may his dreams live on.

my heart reaches out to his family and i hope they can with time recover from their loss.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Helsinki
I regret that I didn't get to chat with him, although I had been following his work and basically just looking forward to hear his ideas on a couple of MeeGo related community topics.

As a (sort of) outsider to actual maemo.org community, I have only a vague idea about his influence starting from the good old Internet tablet times.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimoJyrinki For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
after reading you all above there ,i am quite sad ,still,it feels like i m gonna cry in any moment.My best regards to his family ,i never met him but i can see how much love he owned from this community and surely one great soul will be missed till we have this maemo running .i wish i could do some thing more than just typing words .be blessed gary boi ! rest well .

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
A great man, a pioneer in open source, and one of the great members of the Maemo community is not among us anymore. Thank you for everything you did for us. We will not forget.

On behalf of Maemo Marketing at Nokia
Peter

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
After a very shiny day yesterday, it is a complete opposite wakeup for me as well after reading this. (

All my condolences to the affected people. Such an enthusiasm, such a great personality, such a friendliness, such a great encouraging and optimist mentality, such a humbleness, such a clear mind... and really everything I am looking for in my life...

Gary, we will never forget you!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djszapi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Gary was a friend and a coworker. In fact, if it hadn't been for him, I'd have probably not applied to join Collabora, as I'd not have thought to apply there.

The few times we met face to face, I saw into the soul of an amazingly likable, intelligent, and helpful man.

His contributions both in technical prowess, constantly pushing others to do their best, community sheep-herding, and more leave a gaping hole both in our community & in the lives of those that knew him.

I will miss him and our occasional late night rambles. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Such a sad day... RIP Gary!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:

Tags
gary birkett, memoriam, respect