Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Kickstarter update
We had a lot of good feedback/q's/tips/hints/suggestions/criticism/ideas from a lot of people. This was very helpful and we are now in the final stages of getting green-light from Kickstarter and are finalizing the page and making sure all info in there.

Development
Development continues of course! The hype around the campaign has drawn a lot of people to FunkyOH, so I finally have some 'dough' to spare for continuing development. Proto-pcb's and shells are not for free

Technical update
The PCB in the Base part (that connects to the phone) will be extended in size to cover the entire area. This brings the following advantages:
- The PCB acts as a backbone for the casing and makes the whole construction a lot stronger
- Cleaner design and lots of area for PCB art
- The PLA casing *can* become soft and bend over time if it gets hot. Bending of the casing *can* result in a loss of connection. Extending the PCB over the entire area eliminates this risk entirely.
- The casing can be slightly thinner (0.2mm!) because all strength now comes from the PCB. For all thickness-weenies: this is the limit. Going any thinner requires thinner magnets, resulting in a shitty connection.

Answers to questions

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
There's a very important difference between "can be changed" and works out of the box.
Any word on the software?
TOHKBD will be shipped inside a box and will work after you take it out.

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
I am disappointed Jolla are not weighing in with support on this.
Can people please stop saying stuff like this? I am getting lots and lots of help from Jolla on important issues, they answer difficult questions, pitch me ideas, help with marketing and the list goes on and on.
They do as much as they can without hijacking my project.

Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
The DIY pack are all the pieces and you simply have to mount it with a screwdriver and maybe some glue for the magnets? Or it's more complex than that?
Will be some more info on kick-page, but basically it is a pre-soldered pre-programmed TOHKBD without casing, magnets and wood. All files will be provided (all other people will get all files too, no worries!). This is an option for people that want to do customizations themself.

Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
Clearly Dirk has established a deal with Lastucase at least, as there was many link promoting Lastucase on that Kickstarter.
Not so much a deal, more a fair price on large batches of wooden panels. They put a lot of work in developing stuff for Jolla too and are very friendly in the conversation. Besides the backplate is the thinnest and cleanest way to cover the bottom pcb, I also prefer to work together with companies that work that way.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
not sure if the chip/connection will be the same, so a new daemon might be needed)
chip will be the same, so lots of stuff can be 'ported', but this daemon (with all extra features and multiple layouts) will we a bit more complex - to extremely understate it.

Originally Posted by usr View Post
Add stilus

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Thanks dirkvl for the update!

About the question on Jolla supporting the project:
I am disappointed Jolla are not weighing in with support on this.
cybette(@Jolla) also answered to a direct question on TJC about this subject:
There are many ways we support community projects, and we are certainly supporting Dirk, Kimmo and Andrew in the TOHKBD campaign, with promotions, SW/technical support and more. So we share your thinking here!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Dirk...Dont forget the beer-perk.

Buy me a beer for my hard work - 5 Euro

Man...your next Leffe should be on me

Where is that 2nd countdown?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-11-02 at 13:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Next bottom pcb is done and ordered a few.

Time to solder the proto's i have now!

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-11-02 at 17:31.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Time to solder the proto's i have now!
Soldered.

Quick test

Will go to Kimmo tomorrow, he will consult the Toran Ra.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Answers to questions

TOHKBD will be shipped inside a box and will work after you take it out.
Interestinggg. You're answering a software question with a statement about the packaging. Or is the box part of the hardware?

Interestinggg. You're answering a software question with a statement about the packaging. Or is the box part of the hardware?
Read again:
Question was "Will it work out of the box?"

Now read again dirkvl's answer.
Easier translation: It will work out of the box.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Casanunda For This Useful Post:
for it to work out-of-the-box, by definition it has to have been in a box first.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
Read again:
Question was "Will it work out of the box?"

Now read again dirkvl's answer.
Easier translation: It will work out of the box.
To be fair, the question was exactly,

Dirk, can you confirm:
1.) in current OS version (Uitukka), the vkb can never be completely hidden? Otherwise, why don't you do that?
2.) 3rd party/community can't make the vkb go away completely, only Jolla can? Just saw that that known issue is in Tahkalampi!
May already gone in Uitukka? Anyone using it already? Haven't seen it in the changelog...
Dirk's reply avoids answering the real question by quoting the follow-up post instead.

Please note that I am just playing the devil's advocate here. I do not take sides and no longer care about TOHKBD rev2, but I can understand that different people may have different idea of what constitutes "works out of the box".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Dirk's reply avoids answering the real question by quoting the follow-up post instead.
It is because I do not have a definite answer to that. But, developer proto's are going to jollahq and Kimmo today, so we will see what is possible!

It is very hard for me to do promises about sw, as this is not my expertise (to understate the situation).

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd