Notices

Does someone knows what is tile stucture of map cruncher?

It makes all files in same directory.
Example \Layer_Newlayer\12010003202.png

Originally Posted by namorvx View Post
The finnish NLS topo maps at kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi use finnish KKJ coordinate system, so MaemoMaper would have to do on-the-fly warping of the tiles. Perhaps MapCruncher is the way. Here is quite detailed description of the KKJ coords (you can extract also some conversion code): http://www.viestikallio.fi/tools/kkj-wgs84.php#KKJ-PI
BTW, stitching can be automated by e.g. montage utility from the ImageMagick suite.
Finnish NLS has also a WMS-service (not public).

See http://xml.nls.fi (in finnish only). It is little tricky but possible to create your own cascading WMS server (for example with Mapserver) to serve MM compatible maps.

I have used following "unofficial" EPSG code both on server and client side (see epsg file in proj package) to convert NLS-maps to MM compatible WMS-maps:

<54004> +proj=merc +lat_ts=0 +lon_0=0 +k=1.000000 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +units=m no_defs <>

More information: Overlaying Mercator Projected WMS Layers on GoogleMaps

It's working pretty well.

I recently bought my 770 and I was anxious to use the maemo-mapper application. I do not have a bluetooth gps yet (in the mail), but I wanted to become familar with it first just downloading a few maps. When I start the program all I have is a black screen. I have typed in several map repositories and tried to download maps without success. It says that it has downloaded the maps, but nothing shows up on my screen. I am not a hacker by any means, but I think I can follow directions. Is there something obvioius that I am doing wrong? What should be on my screen when I first start maemo-mapper? If I put in a route by typing in two nearby cities I see a green line with a few waypoints, but everything else is black.
Thanks fo your help.

Originally Posted by DaSlug View Post
I recently bought my 770 and I was anxious to use the maemo-mapper application. I do not have a bluetooth gps yet (in the mail), but I wanted to become familar with it first just downloading a few maps. When I start the program all I have is a black screen. I have typed in several map repositories and tried to download maps without success. It says that it has downloaded the maps, but nothing shows up on my screen. I am not a hacker by any means, but I think I can follow directions. Is there something obvioius that I am doing wrong? What should be on my screen when I first start maemo-mapper? If I put in a route by typing in two nearby cities I see a green line with a few waypoints, but everything else is black.
Thanks fo your help.
Try the Help file in Maemo Mapper. There is a "Quick Start" tutorial that should help get you started. Let me know if you still have problems.

Gnuite,
Thank you for your response. When I hit the help button while in the maemomapper program, I see nothing. Nothing happens. What I think is the help screen is open, but I can't see it since my screen is black... I am going to make sure that I have the latest os for my 770, but I thought I checked that when I first fired it up... Could I have the wrong version of MM? There were so many. Do some not work with 770s?
Thank you,
Slug

Update; my 770 software is the latest and the maemo mapper is ver. 1.3.5.

Last edited by DaSlug; 2007-08-02 at 12:10. Reason: more concise.

Originally Posted by DaSlug View Post
Update; my 770 software is the latest and the maemo mapper is ver. 1.3.5.
Update Maemo Mapper to the latest version (1.4.7). You can do this via the Repository Manager, assuming you installed Maemo Mapper via that mechanism, or you can just click on this .install link in your Nokia device's browser.

Let me know if you have any issues with this.

Gnuite,
Thank you for the help. Updating the software did the trick. This is what I had been hoping for, the maps are great and when I get my bluetooth GPS, I can really get traveling....Thanks again.

When I try to install mapper 2.0.3 from garage.maemo.org it tells me that libgdm3 and libxau0 are missing. Is there a link that I can use to install?
I am quite ignorant, so I don't know how to install the missing libraries.
Thanks

I have successfully installed Maemo Mapper 2.0.3 and read loads of things relating to Maemo Mapper.

Is there a way I can download the tiles I want from VE Streets or Google and then convert them into a file that Maemo Mapper 2.0.3 can read? I assume that if I do the download on my PC, I need to to convert the jpg tiles that Winmapper into a database file.

The alternative seems to be to just use version 1.4 but I'd rather not do that and downloading directly to the Nokia 770 is very slow.

Can anybody help?
Thanks.