Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
What's good about apple (or Jobs) responding (in anyway) to this issue is that he can be held accountable for what he says in the future.

Compare that with a company that keeps absolute silence...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Those are all indeed all wrong. But which would you rather have? No communication or communication that says "It's in the fine print. That's how it is, tough." or that BS that Apple has been spreading?

Regardless... I have my own feelings. And non-communication is higher on my list of no-no's than bad communication (sometimes) but at this moment, Nokia and Apple are neck and neck for companies I will not purchase until they both do better.

And I own stock for both. Imagine that.
I will take zero communication over spin, lies, etc. Every time.

And deleted forum posts are chilling ANTIcommunication.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
What's good about apple (or Jobs) responding (in anyway) to this issue is that he can be held accountable for what he says in the future.

Compare that with a company that keeps absolute silence...
That.. actually.. would be an argument for companies not wanting to say anything .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm a little confused... how is either solution beneficial in any way.. at all?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by Zibeb View Post
After reading this, and reading the story about the Droid X tripping a fuse and bricking itself if it's modded; it really cements the fact that truely open source operating systems may become a safe haven for smartphone owners. Meego and Symbian might get some converts that way, who knows?
You realize that the N900 has an eFuse chip also right? Any phone with an OMAP3 has an eFuse chip, just no one activates them. The original Droid has it also, and it was never activated. No reason to think Moto would do it now...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Any phone with an OMAP3 has an eFuse chip, just no one activates them.
OMAP3 uses e-fuse technology in the M-Shield security hardware, most likely to allow reprogramming of the public keys that are stored in the chip - a wise choice considering private keys can become compromised which would render the entire line of OMAP3 SoCs insecure.

I don't think the e-fuse technology is capable of crippling the OMAP3 hardware intentionally, however - seems like another hoax to me.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'll take neither, thank you very much.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I'm a little confused... how is either solution beneficial in any way.. at all?
I'm confused-- who said either was?

The point was given a choice, which evil I'd rather settle for. Thought that was clear from the conversation...

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
Analysts have estimated a recall could cost up to $1.5bn (£1bn) whereas the cost of issuing free rubber bumpers to alleviate the problem would be cheaper. Estimates based on the retail costs of bumpers suggest giving out the protectors would cost nearly $180m (£118m).

I highly doubt they will recall the product as they are still struggling to keep up with demand.

Originally Posted by DJRedline View Post
Analysts have estimated a recall could cost up to $1.5bn (£1bn) whereas the cost of issuing free rubber bumpers to alleviate the problem would be cheaper. Estimates based on the retail costs of bumpers suggest giving out the protectors would cost nearly $180m (£118m).
I'll go out on a limb and say these numbers are a misrepresentation. Lost revenue is not equal to cost. And lost revenue that you would never have had in the first place, is dust in the wind [see RIAA and Kansas]. So, if the rumored mark-up on the bumpers of $29 is accurate, the most the free bumber response would cost Apple, as of the time of this article, would be:

$180,000,000 / $30 = $6,000,000 USD

Shipping not included.

Tags
let's turn off, the dim light