Notices

Originally Posted by white_panther View Post
Tried unistalling and reinstalling and no luck. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
how did you install mstardict initially ?
i just tried the Portuguese one and worked for me.
remove all dictionaries, and try any other one. also make sure when u uninstalled it that mstardict directory is deleted.

I got it to work, i did nothing more then restart between every step (uninstall-restart-install-restart-add dictionaries-restart-run mstardirect

am a bit confused...
its just a translation App or does it gives you the meanings of english words like normal dictionary?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by s33 View Post
am a bit confused...
its just a translation App or does it gives you the meanings of english words like normal dictionary?
It'll do both - it just looks up whatever words you enter in the dictionaries you have loaded. These can be translation dictionaries, or single-language dictionaries.

EDIT: Oh, and you can put question marks in for missing letters to do crossword searches.

Mstardict for the Nokia N900 is driving me mad. I have spent hours trying to make it work. I have finally got a dictionary via my PC and unzipped it using WinZip. Not that it was obvious that I had to do this.I have XDXF file and it still does not work. I have the file in Nokia N900/mstardict but is still does not work.

The reviews are good but I am thinking that this simply is not worth the effort.

Originally Posted by KeithPlumb View Post
Mstardict for the Nokia N900 is driving me mad. I have spent hours trying to make it work. I have finally got a dictionary via my PC and unzipped it using WinZip. Not that it was obvious that I had to do this.I have XDXF file and it still does not work. I have the file in Nokia N900/mstardict but is still does not work.

The reviews are good but I am thinking that this simply is not worth the effort.
sorry but you have to UNRAR the files...it doesnt work if you unzip them.....download unrar and unrar them and then transfer to the folder in the phone...that would do it..

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
FWIW I have both MStardict and QStardict installed and I like QStardict more. Here are 2 pros of QStardict:

In QStardict when typing in a word I can press enter to start the lookup process, with MStardict I have to select from the list.

In QStardict I can double-click to highlight a word in the definition then copy and paste into the word lookup box to do another search, with MStardict it's not possible - I would have to manually type in a new word.

[QUOTE=Stamm;709419]Filed a bug:

[#5909] [N900] pulseaudio eats up CPU time
https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...1357&atid=5024[/QUOTE

i would love to see this bug fixed, i like having mstardict open all the time for quick access, but it eats up battery life like crazy with pulseaudio taking up 10 percent of cpu at all times.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
[QUOTE=travik;809861]
Originally Posted by Stamm View Post
Filed a bug:

[#5909] [N900] pulseaudio eats up CPU time
https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...1357&atid=5024[/QUOTE

i would love to see this bug fixed, i like having mstardict open all the time for quick access, but it eats up battery life like crazy with pulseaudio taking up 10 percent of cpu at all times.
What version of espeak do you have? You can check it with xterm using command:
Code:
apt-cache policy espeak
I have version 1.44.03 and pulseaudio cpu usage is 0.1% with Mstardict. I had same problem also with GPXView and when I upgraded espeak from extras-testing pulseaudio cpu issue was fixed also there.

[QUOTE=mve;810359]
Originally Posted by travik View Post

What version of espeak do you have? You can check it with xterm using command:
Code:
apt-cache policy espeak
I have version 1.44.03 and pulseaudio cpu usage is 0.1% with Mstardict. I had same problem also with GPXView and when I upgraded espeak from extras-testing pulseaudio cpu issue was fixed also there.
I previously didn't have any version of espeak installed; when I installed 1.44.03 the problem went away. Maybe espeak should be a dependency of Mstardict?

Thanks for the help. I'm glad to be able to keep it open at all times and still have good battery life.

Tags
dictionary, mstardict