Notices

ham wont let u install any package that isnt set for user/* groups and i dont believe libao is. youll need to install with dpkg -i from the command line. i believe pianobar should work from HAM though. i didnt do the libao2 package... i found it in a repo off gronmeyer.

sorry bout grammar/spelling.... posted lazily from my n810
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
The sound on my N810.. I'm not sure if it's pianobar/libao2 from above or what.. but it's sometimes pretty .. bumpy. Not sure if it's just mine though.
Yeah I'm getting the same thing on my n810. This 'bumpiness' seems to be the kind of pop you hear with certain (desktop) emulator sound plugins - I can't think of a better way to ID it. CPU usage is satisfyingly low and despite the poppiness, the sound appears to be coming through just fine. I'm guessing libao is the culprit for the popping? I wonder if the same issue appears in os2007

Thanks again, and might I recommend linking to the n810 instruction post from the pypiano thread? Took me a bit to go from omgomgomgpandora!-With-a-gui-even!-omg to hey-this-isn't-working to here

EDIT: pianobar seems to make any text input into the terminal after pianobar was exited (Ctrl+c) invisible. Weird.

also - the link you provided for pypianobar has a single quote appended to the end

EDIT2: GUI doesnt seem to work. Can log in (characters for username/password don't show up), see my channels, but it doesnt seem to play music. Play button will switch between play and pause, not doing anything. There is a static song title, author and album. I hit the plus button and it seems to stick there.

This could all be because I installed the pyqt packages from extras-devel, but I don't think that is the case

Last edited by notnarb; 2010-02-02 at 10:05.

Originally Posted by notnarb View Post
Yeah I'm getting the same thing on my n810. This 'bumpiness' seems to be the kind of pop you hear with certain (desktop) emulator sound plugins - I can't think of a better way to ID it. CPU usage is satisfyingly low and despite the poppiness, the sound appears to be coming through just fine. I'm guessing libao is the culprit for the popping? I wonder if the same issue appears in os2007
Yup.. my first thought was libao as well. What I might do is try and build my own instead of using the one I found from the repo.

EDIT: pianobar seems to make any text input into the terminal after pianobar was exited (Ctrl+c) invisible. Weird.
Yeah, unless you use the "q" to exit weird things happen... see below too.

also - the link you provided for pypianobar has a single quote appended to the end
Thanks, fixed.

EDIT2: GUI doesnt seem to work. Can log in (characters for username/password don't show up), see my channels, but it doesnt seem to play music. Play button will switch between play and pause, not doing anything. There is a static song title, author and album. I hit the plus button and it seems to stick there.

This could all be because I installed the pyqt packages from extras-devel, but I don't think that is the case
This happens randomly on mine too and it isn't pypianobar... pianobar just stops playing. It shows a song title and artist and just sits there. Only way I've found to fix it is to reboot and run pyPianobar again. It seems something wasn't built properly for the N8x0 with the popping noises and this.. I don't think it's pianobar because I literally built it *completely* on the device itself. I didn't use an SDK or anything.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York, NY
Okay, I managed to get Pianobar working on my N800 also. Low cpu-usage Pandora, that's awesome. However, I can confirm the problems mentioned before - frequent 'popping' noises, text input gets hidden, and sometimes it stops playing music altogether. Is libao0 the cause of all these? I couldn't say.

I haven't tried the GUI yet - it looks like my tablet has some Python requirements that I don't have - but for now I'll stick with the command line. I don't know how everyone else has figured out what buttons do what [edit]I see how now, you just type '?'...duh[/edit], but I found documentation of a sort here: http://github.com/PromyLOPh/pianobar...src/pianobar.1

Anyways, thanks for getting us this far, and hope to see this grow even better in future!

Last edited by caimanjosh; 2010-02-02 at 20:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to caimanjosh For This Useful Post:
If you start pianobar, select a channel, pause, bring up the search dialog for artist / song, (n is what I pushed I believe), and then exit with ctrl+c, the next time you try to play something in pianobar it will actually give an error -
Code:
ALSA snd_pcs_open error: Device or resource busy
/!\ Cannot open audio device
hope that helps

Originally Posted by caimanjosh View Post
I haven't tried the GUI yet - it looks like my tablet has some Python requirements that I don't have - but for now I'll stick with the command line.
Install my Deb.. which will give you an error.. then run:

Code:
apt-get -f install
It should pull down all your missing dependencies.

Also that file you found is a MAN page.. I don't recall if I had it in the N8x0 deb or not... try "man pianobar" from the command line. The N900 strips these out whether i put them in the deb or not.

Originally Posted by notnarb View Post
If you start pianobar, select a channel, pause, bring up the search dialog for artist / song, (n is what I pushed I believe), and then exit with ctrl+c, the next time you try to play something in pianobar it will actually give an error
Yeah.. it is definitely *strongly* recommended to use "q" to quit out. Once I release this new pyPianobar it will definitely help with this.. it always use "q" to quit pianobar so theres never an interruption.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York, NY
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Install my Deb.. which will give you an error.. then run:

Code:
apt-get -f install
It should pull down all your missing dependencies.
Ah, thanks. Though I think I'll wait until you release the version that fixes the problem with not quitting gracefully, so that I won't have to reboot each time (at least from what I read, that's the impression I get on what I'd have to do).

Originally Posted by caimanjosh View Post
Ah, thanks. Though I think I'll wait until you release the version that fixes the problem with not quitting gracefully, so that I won't have to reboot each time (at least from what I read, that's the impression I get on what I'd have to do).
It's not every time. Seems random.. sometimes it works a bunch and sometimes only once. For the current version just use the "ZZZ" button.. it gracefully quits. The new one I finally figured out how to trap the normal "X" to quit an app and force it to also gracefully quit and not just cut off pianobar.

If you're waiting on the new version... some Help & Feedback in the other thread about design, layout, etc would be greatly appreciated. Most of the functionality is there I just want, before I submit 1.0 up through to extras, to have an interface that a good number of people have said is good enough.

I think I found the problem to the clicking!! Around these forums (because these forums ROCK!) there were problems of people with N8x0 getting clicking with MPD and the solution was to edit /etc/libao.conf and change the default driver to "esd" instead of "alsa".

So I did it and voila. I don't hear clicking... Maybe you can guys can give it a shot and see if it works.