Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
I have just published a point update release: 1.4.1

In addition to updated translations, this release brings support for multiple Mapbox GL icon packs and is bundled with the dark Mapbox GL style (mc). Mapbox GL styles are under styles/mapboxgl/styles of the server source tree.

I will try to keep parity between light and dark styles allowing map client applications to switch automatically between map styles as for day/night maps. For example, Laufhelden already has day/night theme switch implemented which can be extended to the map as well.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I am considering a modification in the import scripts to avoid getting too large databases in Mapnik. In particular, Germany, France, and maybe few more countries that

* are huge in terms of OSM data
* have sub-regions defined

will be made available only through sub-regions. All recommended backends are able to "glue" on fly the downloaded maps allowing users to download all the regions of Germany/France if there is such interest.

From my side, I will probably stop getting questions on why Germany/France maps don't show up with the logs showing broken SQLite database messages and me suspecting that its due to filesystem and/or sqlite driver limitations.

So, if there will be no protests to this plan, I might as well do it. However, if it turns out that many of you use these bigger datasets, we may continue as it is as well.

Note that, at this stage, its a proposal, not decided strategy

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 271 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Germany
HI Ringius on Jolla1 it is working with parts of the maps, but Poormaps take ages to rendering the maps especially for routing and searching.
But when there is no other possibility for me its okay.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeyisland For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by monkeyisland View Post
HI Ringius on Jolla1 it is working with parts of the maps, but Poormaps take ages to rendering the maps especially for routing and searching.
But when there is no other possibility for me its okay.
rendering, routing, and searching are actually 3 different parts. They could be all 3 slow or one of them in particular. While rendered tiles are cached between Poor Maps sessions, the search and routing is not. So, at least for rendering, it is using cache.

To test which of the components is the slowest, try to mix OSM Scout Server with online providers. For example, take Mapbox for tiles and try to search. That would tell you whether search is slow.

With the routing, try to route between current location and a location that has been found not as a search result but pointed on a map. That will tell you whether routing is slow.

Not sure I can fix it all, but maybe some things I can.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
I currently use the combined german database (although with the MapBox GL backend, but I guess it would be affected too), but it wouldn't be a big problem to just download all the different regions, which should work the same form the clients (PoorMaps GL) point of view if I understand correctly.

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seiichiro0185 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by seiichiro0185 View Post
I currently use the combined german database (although with the MapBox GL backend, but I guess it would be affected too), but it wouldn't be a big problem to just download all the different regions, which should work the same form the clients (PoorMaps GL) point of view if I understand correctly.
If you use Mapbox GL, then that is split already by tiles. Same goes for Valhalla routing. The only difference would be Geocoder-NLP which then searches in separate databases. And that's what it is doing if you keep the default settings.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I am happy to announce a point update (1.4.3) which includes updated translations and fixed a bug in Mapbox GL style leading to visible rivers in the new version.

What was supposed to be a simple update, turned out to be nothing like it. With the deprecation of libsystemd-daemon library and integration of its functionality to libsystemd, I suddenly had to link to full-blown systemd lib. Turned out, that Harbour wasn't very happy about it. After spending few nights on trying to get around it, I decided to stop distribution of OSM Scout Server via Harbour. This allows me to explicitly request systemd dependency in the package and focus on developing software instead of running around and avoiding Harbour barriers.

I have opened corresponding issue at https://github.com/sailfishos/sdk-ha...tor/issues/102 and the fix doesn't seem to be expected in the near future.

Thus, please use OpenRepos or OBS for getting the last versions.

I have been busy lately with other projects and couldn't work much on the server (trying to help @kimmoli with Onyx SFOS port and working on Presage keyboard with @martonmiklos @ljo). As soon as we get the keyboard into a good shape, I'll continue server development and work on resolving the outstanding issues, such as search for POIs without names and others.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
I am happy to announce a point update (1.4.3) which includes updated translations and fixed a bug in Mapbox GL style leading to visible rivers in the new version.

What was supposed to be a simple update, turned out to be nothing like it. With the deprecation of libsystemd-daemon library and integration of its functionality to libsystemd, I suddenly had to link to full-blown systemd lib. Turned out, that Harbour wasn't very happy about it. After spending few nights on trying to get around it, I decided to stop distribution of OSM Scout Server via Harbour. This allows me to explicitly request systemd dependency in the package and focus on developing software instead of running around and avoiding Harbour barriers.

I have opened corresponding issue at https://github.com/sailfishos/sdk-ha...tor/issues/102 and the fix doesn't seem to be expected in the near future.

Thus, please use OpenRepos or OBS for getting the last versions.
This is really sad - it's already really hard to write non trivial native applications and apparently not well though out changes like this don't make this any better.

In any case, huge thanks for doing all this, including all the ridiculous workarounds and all the extra work you have to do to get what should be basic platform functionality. I've seen also many of your emails to sailfish-devel pointing to all these issues and I'm note sure I remember even a single case of Jolla actually doing the changes or fixing the issue you pointed out - that really does not look good for them & for Sailfish OS overall...

So thanks a lot, I really mean it!

And on a more positive note, we now finally have something like a roadmap & new update, so let's hope it's a sign Jolla might finally start to work on all the critical things that have been ignored for much too long.

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
I have been busy lately with other projects and couldn't work much on the server (trying to help @kimmoli with Onyx SFOS port and working on Presage keyboard with @martonmiklos @ljo). As soon as we get the keyboard into a good shape, I'll continue server development and work on resolving the outstanding issues, such as search for POIs without names and others.
I'll hopefully should be now (after a major conference & the obligatory February-plague) able to start in earnest on MapBoxGL integration in modRana and all the other important improvements that really need to happen.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
@MartinK, I don't think it is very sad, just natural evolution. Jolla's store is just one of the channels and I am planning to distribute the work through the remaining ones. Thanks for support!

PS: Actually, they did add SQLite as a possible dependency. So, there was a progress. But, in the end, each store has their policies and we should just distribute via the ones that are compatible.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
@rinigus, do you have the data generation pipeline documented somewhere? I'm interested in particular (/only) in generating the valhalla routing datasets.
Do you do it from raw OSM pbf?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paoletto For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles