Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
I know this is one of those, maybe over-discussed topics, but here it goes again...please bear with me

I have modified my N810's power button menu (/etc/systemui/systemui.xml) so it presents the following menu when pressed quickly.

Lock touch screen and keys
Offline mode
Lock device
Reboot
Soft poweroff
Top in XTerm
Switch off

EDITED to add: My Maemo version (which I forgot to include before) is: OS2008 Diablo: 5.2008.43-7 which, at the moment of writing this is the most current one. !

I commonly use (or try to) the Soft Poweroff option, but it turns out that there is some kind of weird behavior in that, when selecting "Soft Poweroff" and hitting the OK button, the screen clears and immediately comes back (awakes immediately), but this time with the network not connected and the net icon crossed out -offline mode-. It doesn't go to "sleep", that is.

Then I have to press the power button again, this time hold it for 1 or 2 seconds so the network becomes active with a "Normal Mode activated" message, then try again the whole process. (Sometimes I do get a total reboot, tough. I think this is due the time the power button was pressed.)

The above commonly happens several times .. untill I get it to "sleep" or, it completely turns off -hence the sleeping makes no sense any more-. (or reboots)

I have noticed that getting the "best results" to get into "soft poweroff mode" are obtained if I manually "disconnect" the network from the icon and then perform the same procedure: -press power button, do not hold-, wait for menu, select soft poweroff, hit OK. This is not always the case tough.

The behavior seems to be kind of ramdon, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

So, regarding putting the N810 to sleep -without many annoying retries-:

Any comments on how are you experiencing putting your N810 into sleep of soft power off mode ?

Are there any specific bugs reported (and hopefully fixed) in this "sleep mode" management topic in the N810 ?

What are your setting for soft power-off on your N810 ?

Thanks in advance, your posts are appreciated. kind regards.

Last edited by febb; 2009-03-16 at 18:05. Reason: Add info about Maemo version being used...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Soft poweroff is fixed in the latest diablo version (not sure from what version it has been fixed since) and you can edit /etc/mce.ini to control whether it switches off wifi when going into soft poweroff.

But be aware, that soft poweroff is unsupported in the N8x0 and was disabled for a reason by Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
qwerty12

Thanks ! yes, I forgot to include my Maemo version:

OS2008 Diablo: 5.2008.43-7 which, at the moment of writing this is the most current one. !

Still, the behavior I described...well.. happens. ...

Being "poweroff" unsupported by Nokia seems really interesting, if not strange.... anyone knows the reasons behind this ? Side effects?

I mean, the general perception is for the Tablets to be "on" all the time, right? How to accomplish that without soft-poweroff.... ? (with a long standby time... that is!)

Kind regards.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Soft poweroff is fixed in the latest diablo version (not sure from what version it has been fixed since) and you can edit /etc/mce.ini to control whether it switches off wifi when going into soft poweroff.

But be aware, that soft poweroff is unsupported in the N8x0 and was disabled for a reason by Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to febb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I enabled and modified the "sof tpoweroff" in mce.ini (5.2008.43-7 N800) However, I have it working on a double short press of the power button. I also disabled the network portion. So it essentially only shuts the screen off and locks the device until I do a long press on the power button.

No problems with that except:

If I have used certain programs (mplayer for instance), exit the program and attempt a soft poweroff, the screen flashes and the display stays on. It takes a long press to get functionality back. It will dim normally after the the normal screen dim times.

I believe it is related to certain programs automatically "undimming" the screen for an amount of time so that the screen doesn't blank while you are say watching a movie.

Could your issue be related?