Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Nobody wants to rag on you, we should all be able to get along and enjoy this place.

Making posts personal and bating people "for fun" is the fastest way to make yourself a target, so if you can avoid that in future you may not have to "accept the shots directed at me" because the shots aimed at you won't be there in the first place.

Oh, and only Reggie speaks for Reggie as far as I know!

You did it to SAP. I did it to Texrat. Reggie is the boss and says NO MORE. Enough Said.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I hardly think any of my posts can be compared to the stuff you've been posting recently! But you're correct, nuff said in this thread.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I hardly think any of my posts can be compared to the stuff you've been posting recently! But you're correct, nuff said in this thread.

The only difference was u were the local favorite and I was the outsider but we both did the exact same thing.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I have seen on other forums where the admin enables the IP look-up icon for senior members...

A man can concentrate his mind wonderfully when he knows his IP addy is exposed...
Sounds nice at first glance, but if you consider that the most vociferous trolls tend to achieve Senior Member status through sheer volume, such a strategy could easily backfire...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I am a believer in freedom of speech, and especially in the freedom of expression of opinions that I detest (what else is freedom of speech good for anyway?).

Furthermore, it is only words. They cannot hurt anyone beyond one's feelings, so what's the point of going all Spanish Inquisition on them? If a troll and its detractors want to start a flaming war, I say let them have their puerile fun; it's no skin of my back. Actually, it's usually a good sign for a forum if the local troll population starts to pay attention: it means the forum has achieved escape velocity and is now cruising happily above the event horizon (Prof. Hawking would probably have me crucified for mixing metaphores like that).

Finally, when I "spar" on this forum, it's usually to get a point across or, sometimes, to apply a bit of (poor) socratic irony: on occasion things need to be said with brutal exaggeration to get noticed. I'm not saying I'm good at it, mind, just that I try...
I am an ardent believer in free speech as well. If you read my political posts in other fora it would be obvious.

But there are some things to keep in mind. One, free speech is protected in public venues, not private. Therefore anyone running a private podium is well within his rights to establish limits. Along those lines, reasonable retraint does exist in the public environ, ie, decorum against "shouting fire in a crowded theater". That said, I am reluctant to accept even the smallest encroachments and am angered to say the least at the current attacks on speech here in the US under the guise of "political (in)correctness".

My last point is that while it is true we are talking about "just words" at a simplistic level, in a realistic sense such a statement actually contradicts your stance on free speech. If they are "just words" then they are powerless and protecting the right to utter them meaningless. The reality is of course that words do possess power and a reasonable person executes them with responsibility. The reality is also that only an objective robot could completely avoid being moved by incendiary verbiage.

Again, I believe Reggie is striking a rational balance against irrational forces. You, on the other hand, seem to want to rationalize the irrational. It's a fun exercise in detached ivory towers but useless here in the trenches. When a malcontent chooses to inflict his cancer unfettered upon a forum, all the philosophical rationalizing in the world won't cure or kill that effort. That's why we have civil laws, because man can be an uncivil beast in their absence. The evidence to that here is isolated, but evident nonetheless. Let's keep it isolated.

/soapbox

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-06-06 at 13:25.

It's over man.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I find it disturbing when one party to an unnecessary squabble uses his power to shut down the other side. That is what I think is happening in this case.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I find it disturbing when one party to an unnecessary squabble uses his power to shut down the other side. That is what I think is happening in this case.
i know what u r saying but i reggie is handling this 90% correct and i commend him for that. anyone but reggie and i am gone long ago cuz here is his side... he runNing #1 message forum for nokia n800 and here comes a nobody on here challenging a 1200 message poster plus many like him as he is a popular guy AND works for nokia. not many pEople would have been this tolerant. u got anotheR guy karl threatening to leave with 1200 posts under his belt. ok but i do haVe a side to this too. texrat is stilL calling me names although he only did a few times in his last thread so maybe he is gonna stop now and let it go. that's the 10% regGie hasn't got yet. he needs to ask teXrat to let this go and perhaps put me on ignore... but if texrat doesn'T let this go for the good of this website then i would ban him. also if karl wants to Threaten to leave i would let it go at first but if he really made a serious stance on this i would let him go before allowing him to push me in a corner like that.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
One, free speech is protected in public venues, not private.
Agreed. Hence why you may have noticed that I didn't demand that the right of free speech should be invoked on this forum. The owner does what he wants, but so do I.

I cannot add too much to what has already been said above. However, I believe it is important to realise that quoting free speech (a right that I defend fervently) obscures what to me is the real issue here. 90% of the members of ITT see this place as (i) a general HOW-TO and troubleshooting site for the tablets; (ii) as an exposé on Nokia's IT operations. The other 10%, I believe, look to the forums as a political arena of sorts -- what Nokia should(n't) do, where Palm went wrong with the Foleo, ...
Both ends of the spectrum are essential. There needs to be some regulation, however. New users (and Google) do not have a default ignore list. If people do a search on "nokia n800 forums" and find only flame wars, what are they going to think? What is needed is that "golden middle", and that is what the rules should be aimed at. IMHO, that is what the new rules will help achieve.

</philosophise>

Closed Thread