Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
1. Maemish - BlessN900 with just a slight crop from the sides
- The church stands tall and high... or maybe it is the statue of czar Alexander which is high up there? Nicely balanced night shot with the lightshow.

2. Ken-Young - Andromeda Galaxy taken with a Pixel 4 XL in "astrophotography mode"
- Now that one is high indeed! I had no idea that Pixel is capable of such shots. if this has indeed been taken without additional optics then it is very impressive!

3. DDark - Pro1, Stock Camera, unedited
- High vantage, nice building masses and interesting futuristic detail in the "skyship" thing up there on the skysrapers!

4. mscion - Huawei Mate 20 pro. No effects.
- Very good compostiton showing the contrasting old and new "high"... The pigeon really tops the bill, awesome! Too bad the size of the image is just too small, if it was larger we'd have absolute winner here!

5. nonsuch - Taken with a OnePlus 3, Open Camera. Resized & slightly sharpened the top half in GIMP.
- This is GOOD! The way the branches seem to form a kind of vortex tha stands clearly away from the trunk is awesome!

6. catbus - Nokia N9 - Scaled by Gimp. Lightning by: "Almost full moon"
- A bit difficult to determine WHAT this actually is? Judging from history I am somehow led to believe it might be a reflection of night sky on an antomobile bonnett?

7. jellyroll - Phone: BlackBerry Passport Stock camera, Mental state: Sober
- So supposedly one needs to be pretty HIGH and FAR OUT to see these guys?

8. ric9K - N900 on fcamera, manual focus, manual white balance, manual exposure time. Developed with darktable: vignette, monochrome, tiny orange virage in highlights, 5200 ISO grain.
-What can I say, it's not really high but the grain indeed is fantastic!

9. Pentona - Xpera 10 Plus, cropped only, with the unwanted and mysterious black dot pattern provided by the phone
- Yep, he's sailing high indeed. Nice capture against peaceful sky.

10. pichlo - Jolla 1
- Fits the theme well but I'd want to see more of the lovely house

11. Koiruus - Taken with Pro1, some exposure correction made with Google Photos
- A bit stretching the theme. really

12. juiceme - "Winter kittens climbing high in January", SFOS/XperiaX, cropping in Gimp
- The limitations of the XperiaX camera on SFOS are visible; even though the colors are natural and balanced the focusing is reallly crappy. (I just remembered that I also have the "advanced Camera" application also, have to check if that is better than the stock camera in this respect)

13. mosen - Pro¹ using Piggz Advanced Camera, some contrast added and cropped in Darktable.
- Good vantage point and beautifully curling river and parkside. Dark clouds add drame to the picture!

14. john_god - Samsung Galaxy J4+, no editing
- Again, stretching the theme. Otherwice very nice landscape.

Lots of really good pictures again. I was pondering between @ddark, @mscion and @catbus here... and my vote goes to 3. DDark
(I don't know what the building is but it sure looks nice!)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
My vote goes to n4, i like the building and bird in the sky. I also and to mention n5 i like that photo, the tree and sorrunding light.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I vote for 13. mosen, since the photo makes me actually feel a bit acrophobic. Honorable mention to Maemish for getting that nice picture out of the good old N900!

And to juiceme's question above: the piggz advanced camera is at least most of the time better at focusing on the Xperia than stock, but never worse. The only reason I can think of not to use it is it's less "Sailfishy" in the interface. E.g. there's a button instead of a swipe to view previously taken photo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
(I don't know what the building is but it sure looks nice!)
marina bay sands if you mean the middle one

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
marina bay sands if you mean the middle one
Exactly that one!

Singapore sure has changed a lot since I last was there, back in -83...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
If it still would be a competition I would post this. I have probably posted a better picture in better light once before. Now I have just first sat in togtal darkness in Finland in my friends summercottage only in the light of a fireplace having a chat. After that three hours playing canasta.

While playing I noticed this wall and the collation. We spent once three hours just measuring and watching what goes and where. For me everything is in their right place and watching this makes me feel high: not just how they are perfectly stationed in my and my friends eye but remembering of making it.

Edit: Didn't notice the upload failed. Had to make it smaller. Brightnesx and contrast both over +40. Taken with BlessN900 without flash.

Have been searfching in the fields today with metal detector with my friend. Couple of nails and some crap metal pieces. A lot of walking and fresh air. Also searched in the forest. Nothing. But now next to a fireplace and soon putting fire to the sauna. Feeling relaxed.
Attached Images

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-02-01 at 13:36.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
[QUOTE=juiceme;1564934]
[...]

2. Ken-Young - Andromeda Galaxy taken with a Pixel 4 XL in "astrophotography mode"
- Now that one is high indeed! I had no idea that Pixel is capable of such shots. if this has indeed been taken without additional optics then it is very impressive!

It was. Attached is a photo of the fancy setup I used. I'm *amazed* by how good the Google Astrophotography mode is. A single 4 minute exposure detects stars as faint as magnitude 10, 25 times fainter than what the best human eye can detect at the darkest site.
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
It was. Attached is a photo of the fancy setup I used. I'm *amazed* by how good ...
And I would be even more amazed if you made this shot really at this position inside the city with all that stray light?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I'm a little bit late. Anyway here are the results. I hope, I was not to high to count correctly:

Winner is juiceme with 6 votes
second and third with each 3 votes: nunsuch and mscion.

Congrats to jucieme. A well deserved win for a great shot!
Thanks to all participants for their great entries.
This time I missed to take a shot. Next time I'm also in again.

Please @juiceme announce the next theme in a new thread.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
And I would be even more amazed if you made this shot really at this position inside the city with all that stray light?
No, I was way out in the countryside, in one of the best dark-sky areas in Iowa (which isn't saying much, Iowa doesn't have great viewing sites).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera phone, competition