Active Topics

I am planning on purchasing a Nokia N810 in mint condition, the only catch is, the owner wiped OS2008 and put Nitdroid on it.

I was wondering, is there any way that I would be able to put OS2008 back on there if I was to puchase it?

Thanks.

yep, the tablets are designed to be able to flash the maemo operating systems onto them via usb

Is there an image or a setup file which I download onto the device?

Thanks for the link. The section mostly covers how to flash an N900. For the N810, would I use this?

Would it work on the device even if there is no previous trace of OS2008? Also, are there steps involving the command line in order to put OS2008 back on there, or is it all GUI-based?

Thanks!

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
If you're on Windows, I think you can use that Nokia Software Update app you found. If you're on Linux (or like using the command line), then the "Updating Tablet Firmware" wiki page is right for you. Reflashing an N810 or N900 is pretty much exactly the same process; you just use a different firmware file. And yes, NITDroid does keeps the Maemo initial bootloader around and just replaces the kernel (AFAIR), initfs and rootfs. Now that I think about it, it's *possible* that the Nokia Software Update program might not correctly identify the device if it's running NITDroid, but flashing from the command line (on WIndows, Mac or Linux) should be no problem. And if you get stuck, just stop back here and ask.

-John

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that it was possible, so I don't spend the money and get stuck with a third party OS.