Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
New to forum this weekend where this is my first post.

I have purchased the Nokia 770 specifically for home web browsing and Control/Playback of my A/V media with A/V streaming high on my wish list. I want to be able to select and play any A/V media format from wherever I am in the world where I might want to play the media on the Nokia 770 directly OR control events on a TV and Hi-Fi. (via Wi-Fi when available, via Bluetooth and mobile when not)

I have been messing around for over a Year with PC based UPnP Media Server TVersity with a Wireless UPnP A/V Hardware device connected to my A/V equipment Philips SL300i (Controlling UPnP events with another application, Cidero running on a Laptop)

I been having great fun Streaming both local and internet streams that are unsupported directly by my Hardware player, where the TVersity Media Server takes care of the transcoding requirements of the Audio and Video based on a profile which understands the SL300i's limitations.

Now to the problem with the Nokia 770, I have been working closely with the TVersity team recently (User Level) to ensure that TVersity can fully interoperate with the Nokia 770. TVersity is well placed to become not just a UPnP but more a true "Universal" Media Server

Like SlimServer running in a web page on the Nokia 770, with TVersity I am able to browse my Media, but unlike SlimServer where we need to have the Audio Player pre-loaded, the TVersity team would like to ensure that if I browse and click on an A/V item it will directly open either the Audio or Video player and the stream and play or download the item being served and streamed via TVersity.

On the PC we have Orb which enables a user to stream and playback his own A/V media from another PC anywhere in the world (Sling Like), on the Nokia 770 we can have a cool interface with TVersity to achieve one and the same, if not more!

At this stage, I am interested how many other Nokia 770 users have this type of requirement, where we could share thoughts and experiences on how best to achieve on the Nokia 770 especially now that the OS 2006 is imminent where it seems we need to give a consensus on what we need in the underlying delivery or as a plugin?

Apologies if this topic is already covered elsewhere in the forum, but a quick search did not find anything…

Useful web links in relation to this post ?

TVersity
Cidero
Streamium
Orb

forums ? (Where I post as MikeL)

TVersity Forum
Streamiumcafe Forum
Cidero Forum

My Fledgling Blog

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I'm not so much interested in watching TV from the other side of the world as from the other side of the garden. It would be great if I could use my 770 as a mobile display for media content -- streaming or even only stored -- piped from my PC over the intranet.

Something like Philips's Streamium, only not tied into that particular manufacturer, and preferrably OS-independent on the server side (I really like Linux, but on the subject of mutimedia, it's lagging seriously behind).

Can I have it next week, please?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
Can I have it next week, please?
I hope so I think we are already close to the download method with OS 2005 of .wmv internet streams. I was using the Nokia Media converter which is already a great way to re-encode the PC dowloaded wmv media for playback on the Nokia 770, TVersity though will hopefully take it to a whole higher level of integration.

I am already run a slimserver and nfs server. The NFS server can act as a video and audio streaming server, and with ssh and vpn you can access it over the internet. And I watch movies stored on the nfs server, the quality is pretty good but there are sometime there are lacks here and there, that may be caused by the slow wireless b that I am running at home. For the best quality, copy the media files to the N770.

Streaming seems to be borked in OS2006, at least for me. Any video buffers, but none will play.
Perhaps it is the crazy new video player quirks (some of my OS2005 videos wont play in OS2006)...
It seems that theyve added additional streaming functionality to OS2006, so it looks like they have plans.

I think the silver bullet would be for someone to port mencoder and codecs to the n770 (despite the low processor power, it could be used for emergencies), or more realistically:
for a media server app to do realtime transcoding to a supported n770 format and stream that (perhaps from a named pipe to save space?)

Originally Posted by hallgreng
or more realistically: for a media server app to do realtime transcoding to a supported n770 format and stream that (perhaps from a named pipe to save space?)
And this is exactly what TVersity does/will do when profile for Nokia is fully defined TVersity is in beta and only currently runs on win XP (not been released to other platforms)

Last edited by MikeL; 2006-06-17 at 19:40.

By way of a taster, I have been making slow progress with selecting wmv feeds such as http://rssnewsapps.ziffdavis.com/aud...s/DLTV.wmv.xml adding them to the TVersity Media Server (Supports RSS media feeds) running on my PC and subsequently selecting the feed items from my Nokia 770's browser window and downloading them "*.wmv to *.mpeg1" transcoded and transfered via wirelessG to the Nokia 770 for later playback.

When OS 2006 is available for the Nokia 770 we will hopefully be able to stream rather than download all these types of AV files, which will free up the limited flash memory (Even with a 2Gb RS-MMC) for other purposes and needs.

Just imagine streaming wmv, mov, m4v, flash, xvid, divx direct to the Nokia 770 wirelessly from anywhere in the world using TVersity as your Universal Internet and local content MediaServer.

See this thread, for details on the slight pain I have been going through in order to get the Nokia 770 to cooperate with the TVersity Universal MediaServer (Thanks to the TVersity team support)

Thread for Nokia 770 Video stream issues http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=1789

We are not there yet, but are getting well prepared for when the OS 2006 becomes available which hopefully enables full blown streaming of both Audio and Video.

Oh and by the way lest I forget, I must mention that TVersity supports transcoding of internet *.wma to *.mp3 and supports local streaming of Real Media streams

Thread for Nokia 770 Audio stream issues http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=1761

Last edited by MikeL; 2006-06-25 at 21:59.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
MikeL,

TVersity server is running on my WinXP PC, the firewall allows port 41952, I am pointing the Nokia's browser to http://localhost:41952/ but the message i get in the browser says: "This application requires Flash payer 7. ..." ie. the v6 Flash Player is not enough for TVersity...

How do I go about this?

You need to add /lib in order to access the items you have shared via portable devices like the Nokia 770.

Just to let all Nokia 770 users know that the TVersity Team have released an update of the TVersity Universal Media Server (Beta 0.9.6.2) which now enables emailing of our local media as a FEED from which the files could be played remotely on our Nokia 770's from wherever we are in the world. As I mentioned earlier, the key improvement we need on the Nokia770 (OS 2006) is the support for streaming of all Nokia 770 supported Media formats rather than downloading. (As this wastes precious space on our flash memories)

Read more via TVersities release notes http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.tversity.com/whatsnew.html

PS:

I am NOT part of the TVersity Team, considering myself an independent, keen user of the Universal Media Server and its clever functionality.

I have looked in the Nokia 770 Bugzilla where I recently added a comment to existing bug 366, with regard to HTTP streaming Media requirement https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=366

Last edited by MikeL; 2006-06-28 at 19:32.