Why do new purchasers get the updated software while the current owners have to wait till Nokia feels like changing the update from the april version of the 2005 edition? Did we not all get promised this update???? They anounce it will be available SOON and my question is WHEN!!!!! I am about to travel and would have liked to have the added funcionality before leaving my laptop behind. The reason I got the Nokia 770 was so I could have the added mobility of not having to drag a laptop on a trip where it will be most vulnerable.

All current owners should be as upset!!!!! Am I the only one who wants the update now???

Ramon

I think it's a question of when new purchasers will get the update. Certainly the devices sitting in the store or warehouse are not installed with OS 2006

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
New purchasers will not be getting the new update any sooner than existing users. The marketing material's just slightly ahead of reality (as is so often the case with these things).

Thank you for the response!

I understand then that even though Nokia has a link to buy the Nokia 770 with the new OS, these are not shipping yet?

I looked all over the Nokia site and saw the pictures and the Flash infomercial related to Tablet 2006. The specs presented to a new buyer are those of the new OS so I assumed that by buying a new unit they would be shipping it right away with the new OS. I have been a PDA enthusiast for a long time and have seen in the past a press release ahead of the actual release and availability for sale but in this case it appears to be available now from the information I saw on the Nokia site.

What bothers me most is not that new users would be getting the update first but that the date the update will be available is so vague (2nd Quarter 2006). There is a 45 day window into which they could post the update.

Now, if the update isn't ready why have they gone as far as updating the site as if it were? Were I to order a Nokia 770 from Nokia today, would I then recieve a e-mail stating that they are not ready to ship or would I be shipped a unit with the old OS? This is in essence what I understand you are saying.

All I am really interested in is having a Nokia Rep say when exactly the update will be available be it tomorrow or next month.

I have seen it before where a company is more worried about the next sale than making sure past purchasers are rewarded for loyalty. An example being Compaq with the ipaq updates that were available in new systems for months before they released a update for existing owners (and in some cases charged for the update).

Now, my question is, am I the only user who desperately wants OS 2006???????????????

Originally Posted by http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/770
Currently, the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet is delivered with the OS 2005 edition installed. Buy online now, and sign up on this page for info about when the OS 2006 edition will be available.
Just consider yourself lucky: they originally announced the 770 in May 2005, and most of us had to wait until November (or even January) to get it!

From what I can gather, it's nearly finished (hence the announcement) and they're rushing to get it finished as soon as possible, with a target date in June (no more specific a date is available).

If you order one today you'll get it with 2005 OS with a free upgrade to 2006 OS (like all users) next month.

HTH,

Andrew

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I think Ispeak for everybody when I say that we are all eager to get it asap. but,alas, 2006 is still in debugging and won't be launched until it's finished. It's definately not shipped with new 770s until it's finished.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
As Andrew touched upon, almost every step they've taken has been a complete debacle. Mind you the nerd-community at large isn't very forgiving, but this is also Nokia's first foray outside of cell phones...

Except for the N-Gage and we all remember how that turned out.

Lots of blundering, though we don't know what's really going on behind the scenes.

... and I'll also give them this, they turned out a kickass little tablet. The ends justify the means.

Then my worries were unfounded!!! Thank you for the info. I got desperate because I saw all the pictures and the flash movie and was sure it was ready to go. I also understand that they did the press release because they know it will be ready soon but not yet.

Sorry for being so picky!!!!!

Promix

Hedgecore: I got my tablet only a month or so late - for a new h/w and s/w platform I'll let that go (especially since I ordered mine about 30 minutes after the web site changed to allow ordering without developer codes, AFAICT)

Although, if you're in the US and had to wait until January, I can understand the frustration. Yes, 1Q would have been better, but it's nearly here now.

A bigger question is what comes next? There are still things on the roadmap and the todo list which won't be here with 2006 OSv1 (like the alarm framework :-(), so are the minor releases going to be bigger upgrades than we got with 2005 OS? (Rhetorical question)

Cheers,

Andrew

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Promix
I looked all over the Nokia site and saw the pictures and the Flash infomercial related to Tablet 2006. The specs presented to a new buyer are those of the new OS so I assumed that by buying a new unit they would be shipping it right away with the new OS. I have been a PDA enthusiast for a long time and have seen in the past a press release ahead of the actual release and availability for sale but in this case it appears to be available now from the information I saw on the Nokia site.
And from www.nokia.com/770:

Currently, the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet is delivered with the OS 2005 edition installed. Buy online now, and sign up on this page for info about when the OS 2006 edition will be available.
Not sure why you are confused about which version of the OS is shipping on "new" 770's - seems pretty clear to me!