Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'll put it simply : I've seen this before but one user has taken it, as far as I can tell, to the limit. tom chiverton has been low-ranking quite a lot of applications that do not yet have a screenshot. My question is, that is there something to be done about this?

Here's some examples :
Now, granted, missing a screenshot from the application theme is not fun and doesn't really help anyone but low-ranking applications just because they are missing a screenshot is, in my opinion, wrong too. I, for one, do look for grades and if I see grade as 1/5 I might avoid installing that specific application (though I do go through comments, as well).

Last edited by rantom; 2011-02-07 at 22:23. Reason: Maybe I'm the douche.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Douche is a bit harsh IMO... themes SHOULD get downranked for not having a screenshot since its entire utility is of a visual nature

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Apps should also get low-ranked for omitting changelogs. Build a quality package or be prepared for the effects of annoying people.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Personally, I'm more likely to try an app with a screenshot but I'm of the opinion (note the word) that to downrank an app because of no screenshot is unfair. Surely it's the app that's being tested not the ability/choice of the developer to add a screenshot.

I think to get an app through testing quickly, a screenshot would help though.
I have enormous gratitude for all the apps that I have been GIVEN by these developers and would personally feel churlish to criticise on such a small issue.

Last edited by Dancairo; 2011-02-07 at 21:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
Personally, I'm more likely to try an app with a screenshot but I'm of the opinion (note the word) that to downrank an app because of no screenshot is unfair. Surely it's the app that's being tested not the ability/choice of the developer to add a screen.
I would agree except that it's a THEME. What use is the garage page for a theme if it doesn't contain a screenshot?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
No screenshots - no points, seems fair to me. It's like a CD without a cover, box of cereals with no marking. An N900 with no CE marking LOL. Anyway, it is unfinished without a screenshot, it is part of the package.

Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
Personally, I'm more likely to try an app with a screenshot but I'm of the opinion (note the word) that to downrank an app because of no screenshot is unfair. Surely it's the app that's being tested not the ability/choice of the developer to add a screenshot.

I think to get an app through testing quickly, a screenshot would help though.
I have enormous gratitude for all the apps that I have been GIVEN by these developers and would personally feel churlish to criticise on such a small issue.
Apparantly this is not the case for theme's and icons. Themes main concept is beautifying your device to your taste. But without a screenshot how are you able to distinct what type of theme is that with just a name?
Theme's have different types. There are
Colorful, All black, Nature, Techy, Gothic, Music and much more!

So without trying it what if I create a theme named Soultry could you tell if you like that theme or not without trying? Most people just don't bother using something which they do not know what it does or what it looks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
I would agree except that it's a THEME. What use is the garage page for a theme if it doesn't contain a screenshot?
You are absolutely right, I agree, a theme should have a screenshot.
I didn't read it closely enough - must be tired!

I consider myself, quite rightly, corrected

Maybe it it would be better though to request a screenshot rather than downrank?

Last edited by Dancairo; 2011-02-07 at 21:55.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
The downloads page does not explicitly belong to the developer. If you care you can go ahead and upload a screenshot or two yourself or just make a comment without stars (=no vote) asking politely the dev to posts some.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Hmm. Maybe I should've paid more attention before posting this thread. Well, I'll accept this fact then, that themes should be down-ranked, if no screenshot is provided. I'd still advise first to comment to the uploader, that there's no screenshot, as most users seem to being in Downloads, and after that, if no screenshot is provided, then start low/down-ranking.

I've edited the first post.

Last edited by rantom; 2011-02-07 at 22:22. Reason: First post edited.