Notices

OK before I start I would like to mention that yes I know that Nokia has always pitched the nokia n900 as a internet device with a "phone app" rather then a smartphone with Maemo.
That being said I'm a really disappointed in how Nokia "World greatest phone makers" handled the Phone app in the Nokia n900.

They made it difficult to use. IMO heres a list of why:

-The auto rotate feature is slow to respond when it wants to work (Takes me 5-6 seconds)

-Double tapping the Green Dial button wont redial. I mean Come on, This should work! I have to go back and find the contact.

-Everything I tap on a contact to Call them (in the Phone History) I always get the selection menu to either SMS them or call them. Well since Im in the Phone app it shouldn't waste my time with this extra tap. Clearly I want to call them, why the extra taps to dial?? I would go to Conversations if I wants to SMS them. Is there a way to turn this off in the phone app?

-The lack of Speed dial is killing me. I have 100's of contact scrolling through or searching them takes time. I miss the 1 click and hold dialing from my 5800.

-Contact shortcuts on desktop wont replace speed dial since there always that extra tap to dial. No real quick way to call someone or redial a number

-Face Light sensor which shut the display off when on a call is buggy. Something when I have to dial during a call to reach a operator or extension I have to wait, because after removing my face from the phone the damn sensor wont turn the screen back on. I try the unlock slider but something it doesn't work. The sensitivity of the sensor needs to be fix or give us a option to turn it off. If Im in a dark room when on a phone call the senor doesn't know the difference between the dark room to my face covering it.

I Have stuck by nokia for a decade and can tell you I know that they are pros when it come to phones and phone features but seeing them put this 'alpha' or an app on the nokia n900 and not do much after 3 updates worries me.

So if anyone have any tips or tricks I might have miss plz let me know. Till then I will wait for nokia to make the Phone app a fully usable Phone app.!

Thanks to the Maemo community for all the help so far!

Last edited by synplex; 2010-01-23 at 03:32.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to synplex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
I completely agree with all of your points. Most of them annoy the * out of me personally too.
Maemo executives have stated that the N900 was designed as a computer first, with phone capabilities, but that shouldn't be an excuse for not providing a full fledged phone application.

For fixing your problems, i suggest you take a look the Bug Report System , for what you think are errors in the software, and the Brainstorming forum for enhancements to the phone application.
Someone will probably have written about some of your problems, but post your experiences, or create a new bug (but document it properly), or create a new brainstorm.
Those will probably be the best way, you can get Nokia to provide you the experince you desire from the Phone part, of your "Mobile Computer".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to real_per For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by real_per View Post
I completely agree with all of your points. Most of them annoy the * out of me personally too.
Maemo executives have stated that the N900 was designed as a computer first, with phone capabilities, but that shouldn't be an excuse for not providing a full fledged phone application.

For fixing your problems, i suggest you take a look the Bug Report System , for what you think are errors in the software, and the Brainstorming forum for enhancements to the phone application.
Someone will probably have written about some of your problems, but post your experiences, or create a new bug (but document it properly), or create a new brainstorm.
Those will probably be the best way, you can get Nokia to provide you the experince you desire from the Phone part, of your "Mobile Computer".
Thanks Im still pretty new to this community, but will try to add my input to a brainstorm or bug report.

The Following User Says Thank You to synplex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
-The auto rotate feature is slow to respond when it wants to work (kinda of a gimmick feature)

Works every time for me. Not very fast, indeed, but it shouldn't be instant otherwise you misclick thinking there's a button and then it just flips. Animation is a warning.

-Double tapping the Green Dial button wont redial. I mean Come on, This should work! I have to go back and find the contact.

The phone has your last dialed number on top.

-Everything I tap on a contact to Call them (in the Phone History) I always get the selection menu to either SMS them or call them. Well since Im in the Phone app it shouldn't waste my time with this extra tap. Clearly I want to call them, why the extra taps to dial?? I would go to Conversations if I wants to SMS them. Is there a way to turn this off in the phone app?

I find replying with a SMS to a call is convenient. Not a bug, but a difference of opinion. Click the call button instead. I don't see a problem. An extra tap? Are you in that much of a hurry?

-The lack of Speed dial is killing me. I have 100's of contact scrolling through or searching them takes time. I miss the 1 click and hold dialing from my 5800.

We have typing for that. In contacts, type some of the name and it finds just fine. In fact, typing from the desktop finds. Also, typing numbers dials.

-Contact shortcuts on desktop wont replace speed dial since there always that extra tap to dial. No real quick way to call someone or redial a number

Extra tap? Really, what is burning? And, like, how fast?

-Face Light sensor which shut the display off when on a call is buggy.

Mine works just fine. After I put the phone away from the face, it enables the screen. It's a bit short ranged, but otherwise fine.

So if anyone have any tips or tricks I might have miss plz let me know.

Personally, I think that you don't want a phone, you want your 5800 back because you got used to it. With more contacts, it's easier to type name than speed dial, because they are all there.

Also, when I call people I know, i just tap the desktop to start phone (a shortcut on desktop does wonders) and the redial from the history. If they never called me in the last few days they shouldn't be in speed dial.

Also, on-desktop contacts isn't that much of a deal. I believe nobody is in that much of a hurry to not be able to use the phone for an extra tap. Tap person, tap number.

If you feel that you have too many options, perhaps a smaller, cheaper, more oriented phone would be a better choice and an alternative to complaining?

I don't mean to be mean, but you bought a portable computer with a decent CPU and graphic card. A bit on animation doesn't hurt. Neither does an extra tap if it brings phone, sms, mail, chat, SIP, Skype, Google voide and video and several other protocols to you in one smooth integrated interface. At the cost of a tap! (and 600 Eur).

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
maybe you just dont understand maemo sound like you would be better with a iphone, i love the n900 and yes theres a few things missing, i had every smart phone on the market and i can tell you a the down side of all of them, and before you buy anything do your homework 1st

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

Itīs hardly THAT slow when you auto rotate it, and itīs quite useful to be able to quickly send a sms OR call the person you have in the latest call log or in contacts, but I guess thatīs a personal preference

Probably possible to tweak the speed of the animation, any handy person that knows the answer to that?

About scrolling through contacts, you know that you can just type in the first letters of that persons name and it pops right up?
Or use the A-Z sidelist?

I got over 400 people in mine and I donīt complain, I rather salute em for the multiple ways of finding people faster then ever.

The Following User Says Thank You to Modell900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
It's all about convergent devices. Saying your phone isn't really a phone is a cop out. Could they have been more minimal. My phone did more than this 15 years ago.

The person who merges the computer, the phone, the PDA, NAV device, Social Networking gadget, entertainment (Music, TV, Games,etc) will win. Nokia had a leg up with the original Communicator than kinda blew it. If Nokia wants to take on the Fruit Boys, they need to quit making excuses.

Everybody who didn't want their N900 to have a real Navigation system(SW, HW, Compass, etc) and a REAL phone in it, raise their hands.

I can't have separate ringtones, and filter calls? Sheesh! Free phones do this stuff. The Joke that they call profiles.

That being said, there's nothing else out there close to it. It does a LOT well. It does a LOT less than half AZZ...

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Sadavyk View Post
maybe you just dont understand maemo sound like you would be better with a iphone, i love the n900 and yes theres a few things missing, i had every smart phone on the market and i can tell you a the down side of all of them, and before you buy anything do your homework 1st
O, come on!
That's such a ridiculous reply.. Yes you love your N900, but the OP had expectations for the phone part of the N900 and is in every right to have so.
He made a well articulated list over annoyances the the way it behaves now, and how it isn't working for him.

There's no reason for saying something like "maybe you just dont understand maemo sound like you would be better with a iphone"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to real_per For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ndi View Post

Personally, I think that you don't want a phone, you want your 5800 back because you got used to it. With more contacts, it's easier to type name than speed dial, because they are all there.

Also, when I call people I know, i just tap the desktop to start phone (a shortcut on desktop does wonders) and the redial from the history. If they never called me in the last few days they shouldn't be in speed dial.

Also, on-desktop contacts isn't that much of a deal. I believe nobody is in that much of a hurry to not be able to use the phone for an extra tap. Tap person, tap number.

If you feel that you have too many options, perhaps a smaller, cheaper, more oriented phone would be a better choice and an alternative to complaining?

I don't mean to be mean, but you bought a portable computer with a decent CPU and graphic card. A bit on animation doesn't hurt. Neither does an extra tap if it brings phone, sms, mail, chat, SIP, Skype, Google voide and video and several other protocols to you in one smooth integrated interface. At the cost of a tap! (and 600 Eur).
Thanks for your tips. and Yes I know the extra tap complaint sounds ridiculous I make calls on the road and even with my bluetooth headset I still need to dial on my n900 since there isnt voice dial. Im guess im not use to having to stare at the screen and click multiple time to make a phone call. Im only complaining because the N900 is made by Nokia. I mean come on if any one can get a phone app right it should be them.
Also I have been getting use to the desktop contact widgets but I dont want to have to full one of four screen with contacts.

The Following User Says Thank You to synplex For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia fanbois, thread title sucks