Notices

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
yes you right. apologize. m o v i n g . . .

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-08-27 at 19:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Talking about routing preferences, most commercial solutions, among options like "prefer shortest", "prefer fastest", have options to "avoid toll roads" and "avoid motorways". What I am really missing in all of them is an option to "prefer major riads". So I often end up following the "fastest route" that takes me down some single-track, unpaved country lane, even though I remember from the times before GPS that there is a simpler route along major roads.

Is there such an option in OSM?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Nice option that would be.
But even nicer I do find the option between 'fastest' and 'shortest' maybe called 'optimal'?
Some car navigation systems offer this and calculate the route fast but keep in mind short-cuts that are shorter (but take more time).
So gor carlos example
fast 35km 27min
short 30km 30min
I would not drive 5km extra for saving 3 min.
But maybe there is route in between like
optimal 32km 29min?

--edit
have used the car mavi today and the option was
called 'efficient route' not optimal
it tries to save kilometers but still going fast

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2018-08-29 at 21:26.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
1) some countries(US) saving km is good to have the car in good value. example: if i wanna sell my car with many km, then my car is considered an old car with poor value.
2) fastest-route: in many countries with high traffic is not good, to much time wasted, because mostly people always use faster route.
then shortest-route is good option.
optimal-route could be nice option with online-traffic.

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-08-28 at 03:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
New maps are out there. Now, with the latest OSM Scout Server, motorcycle and motor scooter are supported by Valhalla router and map data.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
So I often end up following the "fastest route" that takes me down some single-track, unpaved country lane, {...} Is there such an option in OSM?
Personal experience (using OSM Scout server with WhoGo/PureMaps) while driving during vacation (in Madeira. A *volcanic* Portuguese island, thus very steep) :

Yup, it works. When asking for "fastest route", it actually works this way.
Mostly because OpenStreetMaps has a very well filled databased with all necessary metadata tagged in.
So every path has the correct speed limitation in, and is correctly define (barely driveable unpaved country lane are correctly tagged so).
Thus Valhalla had enough data to determine it's better to stay on the main road and to take this kind of counterproductive useless short-cuts.

(At the same time, an up-to-date Tomtom, was having trouble, mostly because in such remote place, it only has edge between nodes on the map without any useful information, and thus barely driveable path seemed shorter on the map).

Originally Posted by carlosgonz View Post
fastest-route: in many countries with high traffic is not good, to much time wasted, because mostly people always use faster route.
{...}
optimal-route could be nice option with online-traffic.
Now the big question : the FM radio drivers that currently exist on some smartphone :
- are they able to pickup FM RDS for TMC ?
- are they hackable to get DAB's TMC ? (I would suspect, at the cost of lots of CPU, if they work anything like desktop USB receivers, where "DAB"-mode is basically streaming the raw radio data for the CPU to decode in software).

Are there any good USB (optionally: -on-the-Go or Host) FM/DAB TMC receiver ? (like, e.g., the ones used by some Tomtoms and Garmins ?)
- Hum, that makes me think: Is should test what the Xperia USB-OTH is seeing when I plug in the Tomtom microUSB RDS receiver.

Are there any good online service for traffic informations ?

Yet another option would be the various FM USB sticks used on PC for software radio. (But guaranteed to make a big CPU hit).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
New maps are out there. Now, with the latest OSM Scout Server, motorcycle and motor scooter are supported by Valhalla router and map data.
Looks like the last import broke Mapnik's maps, with buildings missing. No idea how I missed it.All other backends should be fine.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Looks like the last import broke Mapnik's maps, with buildings missing. No idea how I missed it.All other backends should be fine.
Bug was induced by an update of GDAL library and tools used in Mapnik import. I reverted the update and reimported the planet. Import is uploaded now and, if all goes as planned, should up and running on @MartinK server tomorrow.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I have released a smaller OSM Scout Server update (1.11.0). As usual, translations have been updated, thank you for all involved!

There are two new features in geocoder.

First, as asked for by users of J1, it is possible now to disable libpostal parsing of the addresses. For that, go to Settings/GeocoderNLP and switch off "Use libpostal parser". Don't forget to keep "Use primitive parser" and keep in mind that, for primitive parser, you have to describe addresses as a hierarchy going from inner (house number) to outer layers (country). Its up to you and particular case to see which part of the address is needed, just keep the right order. I hope it will speed up things on J1. [it still uses libpostal, but for normalization only].

Second, you could search now for nearby objects of any type and any name (earlier, you had to specify at least one of them). In Pure/WhoGo Maps and modRana, for type, choose or type "Any" and keep the name blank. This allows you to check for any features on the map in the nearby of the reference point. Just keep radius sane since all objects within it will be loaded into RAM while performing the search.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@rinigus
this is a very special beg (so please feel free to ignore)

I have an exfat formatted SD card (I know, I know ) and (now) around 20G of maps data.
It works quite well with exfat-fuse drivers.

But after having increased the size of datasets from only Germany to Europe I experience long slowdowns at start and also crashes.

It is always for gz files of valhalla.
As I have seen lots of CPU (more than 100%) for harbour-osm-scout-server and mount.exfat I assume timeout of boost::filesystem actions.
If it is really time out would it be possible to extend that for me?
I know boost as a C++ library and found occurences only in mapnik*.so library. So maybe it is possible to check?

And as I fiddled with terminal I got also some other warnings of 'binding loop detected). Please see the screenshot (fingerterm sometimes kind of 'freezes' and I could not copy/paste to text).

--edit
this is triggered by opening the map manager:
Code:
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ harbour-osmscout-server
[D] unknown:0 - Using Wayland-EGL
[W] unknown:461 - file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/Sa
ilfish/Silica/private/PulleyMenuBase.qml:461
:13: QML State: Binding loop detected for pr
operty "when"
[W] unknown:-1 - <Unknown File>: QML StateGr
oup: Can't apply a state change as part of a
state definition.
Attached Images

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2018-09-09 at 13:17. Reason: added log text for 'binding loop detected'

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles