Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
afair I used gimp to convert icons from png to svg on Symbian times. So it should be quite easy.

I like the second last one best. But as rinigus pointed out maybe the white surrounding should be more grayish for app drawer. Your favourite could be the minimized app icon.

But I would need to see it in app drawer to be sure.
And rinigus is the one to decide...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
@rinigus
I'm a shutterbug, not a professional designer.
But output looks like made from a professional!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@rinigus
I'm a shutterbug, not a professional designer. So no, it's not a vector graphic but a bitmap made with gimp. If a vector graphic is needed, I have to look how to convert it. Otherwise I have to redraw it, but that would take it's time, because I'm not used to vector graphics.

Anyway i need to know for which icon you have decided (the last one is my favorite in the meantime).

A transparent 2 bit layer for the cover shouldn't be a problem.
Right now the max resolution for the icon is 256x256. So, the bitmap should have us covered as well. As for cover version, I presume it should be also sufficient. So, no need, at least yet, to start redrawing. Lets release then based on raster icons.

As for preference, let's use then the last version. I will proceed with the code cleanup and will rename the repo accordingly. Then we can push new icon into it as well. Do you have Github account? Then I could ping you via Github issue when I am ready for the icon

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
You can use Shift+Alt+B (Path > Trace Bitmap) in Inkscape with "Colors" checked, and adjust the number of scans. However, the gradients on the ocean and on the frame will be an issue as the process will take them into account before converting to a number of discrete colors. I think the best would be to start from the original globe image in Inkscape, vectorize it, and then add the frame and the gradients (you can have gradients in SVG but it's hard to convert pre-existing gradients to vector).

Brittany was one of the victims of the sea level rise on the icon. B(

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
afair I used gimp to convert icons from png to svg on Symbian times. So it should be quite easy.
Unfortunately it isn't. In the icon there are some gradients. That makes it really hard to convert it. I also think that gimp doesn't support svg for export. Even if, it probably just embed the bitmap in a vector graphic. So nothing gained there.

Anyway I have tinkered a little bit around with inkscape. With some manual work a proper conversion should be doable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Unfortunately it isn't. In the icon there are some gradients. That makes it really hard to convert it. I also think that gimp doesn't support svg for export. Even if, it probably just embed the bitmap in a vector graphic. So nothing gained there.

Anyway I have tinkered a little bit around with inkscape. With some manual work a proper conversion should be doable.
Just to reiterate - we should be fine with the bitmap, at least for some time . Anyway, the package ships bitmap icons only, as far as I can remember. Just now the bitmap icons are made from SVGs. But, its no biggie to keep it in raster format and avoid messing with the conversion.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Right now the max resolution for the icon is 256x256. So, the bitmap should have us covered as well. As for cover version, I presume it should be also sufficient. So, no need, at least yet, to start redrawing. Lets release then based on raster icons.

As for preference, let's use then the last version. I will proceed with the code cleanup and will rename the repo accordingly. Then we can push new icon into it as well. Do you have Github account? Then I could ping you via Github issue when I am ready for the icon
I will deliver you a proper svg over the weekend as well as a layer for the cover. I hope that's early enough for you.

I'm on Github, even so I'm not really active there. Username is popanz

Edit: rinigus was faster
Ok than I'll wait with conversion and we can do this later on.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Ok just a preview.
@rinigus how dark should the "white" be? I've darkened it a bit, but I'm not sure that's enough.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Ok than I'll wait with conversion and we can do this later on.
You can use autotrace for conversion.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately it isn't.
I also think that gimp doesn't support svg for export.
Sorry for FUD.
Yep, exactly. Now I remember. Gimp did not support svg directly so I used inkscape, too.
Always had those two in conjunction.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: