The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodyear99 For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the links.

/#9370

I now created a brainstorm item for this:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...automatically/

Please vote for it!

/#9370

The Following User Says Thank You to #9370 For This Useful Post:
This would definitely improve battery life for those who only use applications that need periodic updates...

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
Before I start, let me just say that I love this phone. It does however need some significant fixes and automatic connection/disconnections is certainly one of them.

I have come from an N95 and on that I had several connections defined. I had various wifi points, including my home ones and I had two 2G connections (bad 3G signal where I am). One went ahead and connected without prompt, the other I had set to ask for a password.

Anything like weather, email etc. that was to be "always on" used the unrestricted internet connection.
Everything else I chose how to connect, be it wifi or 2G (using the passworded connection).

The phone checked my emails and whatnot and closed the 2G connection automatically. After using any other application, the connection was also closed obviously on all other wifi/2G connections.

The only thing it didn't do right was to allow a connection priority profile thing (which I think the N97 does allow...?) whereby you choose wifi a, then b, then blah, then 3G then give up.

The N900 should be so much more advanced at handling connections - to simply come on and stay on is really beyond basic and I can't imagine why this route was chosen. At least an inactivity auto-disconnect timer OPTION should be included.

I also don't want to trust the phone to handle my 2G/3G connection as if something goes wrong and starts downloading lots of data (due to a bug/bad design/whatever) I could end up with a huge bill. I'm on a data plan but the recent firmware updates used up over 20% of my monthly allowance - all it would take is for my home wifi connection to drop out for a moment (or longer) and the phone would decide to use 3G (if the setting to allow this is ticked of course). It's not always obvious that it is happening either. The email application seems to just download emails and attachments automatically - I see no option to turn it off. I regularly get emails from clients with truly massive attachments *sigh* (100MB+). On my N95 I would just choose not to download those but have no choice on the N900 for such things - except to turn off automatic email checking - and then what's the point in the phone really?

At the moment my data connection is pretty much useless when I'm out and about - there's just too little control to trust the phone with it. An OS like this should be promoting more complex options, more power to control power usage and more granular control over scenario/use profiling of ALL features.

In these respects the N900 is far inferior to Symbian on the N95/N82 etc and I assume 5800/N97 and so on. This REALLY needs fixing (and yes I have voted on the bugs - can't log onto brainstorm to vote there).

This script should disconnect from network (wlan or GPRS/UMTS) after 5 to 10 minutes of no received packets:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
a=`ifconfig phonet0 | grep RX.p | cut -d: -f2`
c=`ifconfig wlan0 | grep RX.p | cut -d: -f2`
b=$a
d=$c

while true ; do
        sleep 300
        if [ "$a" == "$b" -a "$c" == "$d" ] ; then
                dbus-send --system --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd_ui com.nokia.icd_ui.disconnect boolean:true
        fi
        b=$a
        d=$c
done

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Hmm gotta go on google to try and figure out how to use this on my n900.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
This script should disconnect from network (wlan or GPRS/UMTS) after 5 to 10 minutes of no received packets:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
b=$a
d=$c

while true ; do
        sleep 300
        if [ "$a" == "$b" -a "$c" == "$d" ] ; then
                dbus-send --system --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd_ui com.nokia.icd_ui.disconnect boolean:true
        fi
        b=$a
        d=$c
done
Thanks Matan for writing this script. To my surprise I can even vaguely follow it even though I consider myself a complete n00b when it comes to Linux. It must be all that fiddling with my Linux DD-WRT router installation to get a FON hotspot working that's given me a tentative grounding there!

That said, I have no idea where one would put this to be executed... on the router I have a nice simple web interface (although I've used the busybox telnet access too) for Cron Jobs and startup scripts etc. Could you help me and others out with how to install this script and also exactly which variables to change to alter settings...

As far as I can tell the "sleep 300" gives the 5 minute interval... where does the 10 minute upper range come into things, or is that just assuming two loops of 5 minutes each and data occurring between minute 1-5?

You're grep-ing RX.p - I assume this is received packets. Could you similarly do TX.p for transmitted to add to this script... in fact, is there somewhere you could point me like a wiki on this - I'd be interested to know more about the output from ifconfig and what you can do with it.

Thanks for your help

The Following User Says Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:
OK, I've actually gone into this on my router now and having seen the output from ifconfig, and looked at a few guides on the web, I think I now understand the basics of grep, cut and how that's all being done. I assume the output from ifconfig is always rigidly formatted enough to rely on that then?

I'm still not sure how to get this running on the N900 though, I have not installed the thing to allow sudo gainroot yet... I'm guessing that's necessary as a first step. Where from there?

Tags
automatic, connect, connect automatically, connect on activity, connect on demand, connect on use, data, data connection, disconnect, disconnect automatically, disconnect when idle, fremantle, gprs, internet, maemo, maemo 5, n900, on demand, on use