hildon-desktop with PowerVR acceleration starting to work on the Motorola Droid 4, on Linux 5.4... Still lots to sort out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6byvcCjEazE

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Can't wait for Leste to be ported to the Pro1!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Changed from iPhone to N900. Used iPhone from 3gs to 4s (two years back). It was a big drop of what I could do with a phone. Made a lot of music (with nanostudio and garage band) and movies with my own music and took a lot of pictures and made a lot picture editing. I have hopes leste helps to fill the gap a bit. But mainly I wait for the security and browser updates. Got fed up doing too much with a phone. Browser means a lot. To acces information.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Changed from iPhone to N900. Used iPhone from 3gs to 4s (two years back). It was a big drop of what I could do with a phone. Made a lot of music (with nanostudio and garage band) and movies with my own music and took a lot of pictures and made a lot picture editing. I have hopes leste helps to fill the gap a bit. But mainly I wait for the security and browser updates. Got fed up doing too much with a phone. Browser means a lot. To acces information.
True, I don't think the iPhone 3GS to 4S were competition to N900 even in the days they were top of the line.
You should borrow / get for free an iPhone 11 Pro and check out the music / photography / Surfing the web for an actual taste of these interesting part and then find out that N900 Maemo Leste does all the rest better.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
It would be easier to start real beta(alpha)-testing, if there is backup-software that is compatible with that Backup what comes with N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
It would be easier to start real beta(alpha)-testing, if there is backup-software that is compatible with that Backup what comes with N900.
There is an universal way:
On the n900:
install openssh client and server
as root in xterm, type:
/etc/init.d/ssh start

On the PC:
sshfs -o idmap=user,allow_other root@192.168.2.15:/ /the/mount/point/you/choose

Then, you have access to your n900 filesystem and can backup it with rsync. (on an ext filesystem so you keep the permissions).

Same way inversed, you'll be able tol restore what you want.

Hmmm, reading myself, I see it's not so simple at first point of view but it is, actually

edit: my rsync command (knowing it has some repetitive options but too lazy to rtfm again, knowing it works since years):
rsync -vazHE --force --delete --recursive /the/mount/point/you/choose/ /your/backup/path/

Also, don't forget /, /home and /home/user/MyDocs are on different partitions on the n900 as you could also backup from backupmenu.
In this case, you will not have access (or I forgot how) to /, but only to the /home partition and to MyDocs. For /, you can use backupmenu directly.

Last edited by ric9K; 2019-12-01 at 21:12.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Is there anyone in the core team or among the Leste testers with a F(x)tec Proš? I should get mine in less than two weeks if everything goes well, and I would like to help but (1) I am not a coder/developer, and (2) the Proš will be my main phone, so I will need a way to easily backup and restore my main OS (which will probably be the community port of SFOS, if usable).

I don't think there is any Leste test build for the Proš yet, but I am wondering where to start. If there is a way to help with some kind of generic Leste build without compromising my Proš for later use (i.e., previous OS can be restored afterwards), please let me know.

Also, latest virtual machine images have been uploaded in February, yet I think Leste has progressed in many ways since then. Are there new builds somewhere?

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-12-01 at 14:29.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Is there anyone in the core team or among the Leste testers with a F(x)tec Proš? I should get mine in less than two weeks if everything goes well, and I would like to help but (1) I am not a coder/developer, and (2) the Proš will be my main phone, so I will need a way to easily backup and restore my main OS (which will probably be the community port of SFOS, if usable).

I don't think there is any Leste test build for the Proš yet, but I am wondering where to start. If there is a way to help with some kind of generic Leste build without compromising my Proš for later use (i.e., previous OS can be restored afterwards), please let me know.

Also, latest virtual machine images have been uploaded in February, yet I think Leste has progressed in many ways since then. Are there new builds somewhere?
I'd be more than happy to volunteer my Pro1 as Leste testing device!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post

We haven't gotten a test device yet - nor have we ever been asked if we wanted one by the Fxtec people. You might want to talk with some people in the channel who in the past have taken an Android device and made Leste run on an Android base.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Will do, thanks Wizzup_. In theory, can Leste boot from a SD card or would I have to wipe the internal memory of the phone? Wasmachinemann-NL and I both volunteered, but I'm sure it would be easier to test things if there was an easy fallback to the internal OS, especially for such an expensive (and rare) device.

Are there any up-to-date VMs available somewhere?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7