Active Topics

Just got a n810 and really enjoy. however, got kind of bored of maemo and decided i wanted to try a alternate os but i have some questions:

can i tri-boot maemo(on internal) deblet(sd) and mer(sd)?

if not should i go with deblet or mer?

lastly, how can i partition a 8gb sd into 2 partitions? one for alt os. one for data(shared between maemo and alt. os)

any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to mtl171 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Greece-Athens
you can have as many OSes as your memory card can. tri-booting, quad-booting and so on.
you can partition your memory card using your computer (gparted on linux or disk manager on windows)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mer is probably your best bet right now. The Deblet project just kinda ran out of steam; the Deblet developers are all working on Mer, and it is based on Ubuntu.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Chorley UK
I also want to do this & there is a lot of good info out there but I dont know where to start!

Is there a boot manager of sorts for the tablet? Like refit for macs? I'd like to be able to select between maemo/mer/android/ at boot.

I saw something that in the thread about jaunty 9.04 , the ubuntu rescue menu?

Edit: I've just read about penguinbaits bootmenu installer, looks like exactly what I need but it says at the top of the thread "not for 43-7 or above" & im on 5.2008.43.7
Anything I can do?

Last edited by cardyology; 2009-03-06 at 00:26.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by cardyology View Post
I also want to do this & there is a lot of good info out there but I dont know where to start!

Is there a boot manager of sorts for the tablet? Like refit for macs? I'd like to be able to select between maemo/mer/android/ at boot.

I saw something that in the thread about jaunty 9.04 , the ubuntu rescue menu?

Edit: I've just read about penguinbaits bootmenu installer, looks like exactly what I need but it says at the top of the thread "not for 43-7 or above" & im on 5.2008.43.7
Anything I can do?

Look at console tools
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25714
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Both the deblet and mer installers will also include (I think fanoush's?) bootmenu installer which uses files inside the /etc/ directory to make the bootmenu.

Essentially the theory is going to be... Install Deblet or Mer, during that procedure it will help you setup a bootmenu for Deblet or Mer (respectively).. after that's done you can reboot the tablet and make sure you get a bootmenu for .. whichever. (and that it actually boots.. troubleshoot one OS at a time).

Then boot back into Maemo.. run the installer for Deblet or Mer (the one you DIDN'T install, obviously).. and when you get to the point where it asks to run the bootmenu installer say no..

Then go into.. I think it's /etc/bootmenu.d??... look at the 2 files that should already be in there (one for your flash, one for the first OS you installed).. copy one, and modify it for the new OS.. then there should be an icon in your apps menu somewhere for "Bootmenu Installer".. it'll go back through, read those /etc/bootmenu.d files, and recreate the bootmenu again.

This time when you reboot you should have 3 options....

In theory... this was LARGELY (ok, entirely?) based on memory...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Chorley UK
Thanks for the replies guys. Im quite a noob to meamo & linux. I've used linux quite a bit but I dont know that much about the terminal. Just used basic apt-get install & stuff like that in the past. I plan to learn tho.

I'm giving the turbo debian detailed in this thread a try http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=24272
The easy-debian-chroot installed a load of sofware as described, Im just waiting for the image to DL so I can extract it.

Will ths give me a bootmenu option?? the thread says its run on top of maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to cardyology For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cardyology View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Im quite a noob to meamo & linux. I've used linux quite a bit but I dont know that much about the terminal. Just used basic apt-get install & stuff like that in the past. I plan to learn tho.

I'm giving the turbo debian detailed in this thread a try http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=24272
The easy-debian-chroot installed a load of sofware as described, Im just waiting for the image to DL so I can extract it.

Will ths give me a bootmenu option?? the thread says its run on top of maemo.
No. This one will run as a maemo application

Easy Debian isn't a bootable "full" OS. You still boot into Maemo for that. It allows you to do one of two things, run Debian applications in a manner that makes it "appear" seamless to Maemo.. and/or simply start another X session (using like LXDE, or Gnome, etc) over the top of maemo.. and giving you the ability to swap from one to the other.

IIRC, it's a tad slower than booting into Debian/Mer, but it's quite a bit more user friendly.. and you retain the battery life of the Tablet as opposed to Mer/Deblet, where battery life plummets when you boot into it.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Both the deblet and mer installers will also include (I think fanoush's?) bootmenu installer which uses files inside the /etc/ directory to make the bootmenu.

Essentially the theory is going to be... Install Deblet or Mer, during that procedure it will help you setup a bootmenu for Deblet or Mer (respectively).. after that's done you can reboot the tablet and make sure you get a bootmenu for .. whichever. (and that it actually boots.. troubleshoot one OS at a time).

Then boot back into Maemo.. run the installer for Deblet or Mer (the one you DIDN'T install, obviously).. and when you get to the point where it asks to run the bootmenu installer say no..

Then go into.. I think it's /etc/bootmenu.d??... look at the 2 files that should already be in there (one for your flash, one for the first OS you installed).. copy one, and modify it for the new OS.. then there should be an icon in your apps menu somewhere for "Bootmenu Installer".. it'll go back through, read those /etc/bootmenu.d files, and recreate the bootmenu again.
NO! Don't try that. The first you should do is to run the bootmenu installer. This will install the bootmenu. Then you install an os, for exable deblet. While deblet, you will be asked to refresh the bootmenu. You must say yes. After rebooting you will have the deblet on the bootmenu. Then install mer, say yes to refresh bootmenu and after rebooting you will have three items on the bootmenu, the maemo (flash), the deblet and the mer. So simple, don't modify files, there is no need

Tags
android, mer