Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
oh yes, I am a troll.. thanks for clarifying that.

Doesn't change the fact that this fossil cannot replace the N900 though.
I just asked you to prove why, what can your N900 do and this can't? Until then, you are just a troll that came here to ruin this thread with his opinions based on pure air.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
whatever floats your boat duder.

no way I'm gonna analyse the virtues of the N900 here. just read a review watch a video or buy the damn thing to see for yourself.

stop living in 2005

2009 is the year to be, man!

Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
I do believe this thread does not belong to this part of the area on the forum. First off, it has nothing to do with nokia and its own ranges of devices let alone it is an accessory that can be attached/connected to maemo in some way.

Just because it can run debian and/or android does not necessarily mean that it is a maemo device but rather an old maemo competitor.

If you look at the specs of the HTC Universal on the wikipedia you would have noticed that by comparing with N900. There still are far more lacking features that N900 has which your HTC Universal does not have.read here. Note: gsmarena website does not keep an up-to-date information about what N900 could still be capable of, e.g. no FM transmitter when N900 does have one and that N900 can support SDXC 64GB memory (with latest updates).

Besides, I'm sure your HTC Universal does not even offer more direct access to some of its underlying hardware components when compared to N900. Most of which may still be proprietary (not even using debian for example can unlock it). For instance:
- Is the wireless chipset natively supported under linux and that you can use latest mac80211 framework on it?
- What about direct access to DSP components so that you can for example tune the onboard camera to get the best effects? or even say for example overclocking it so that you can watch 720P?

Oh wait, I hear its 2005, specifically Q3 2005. The only comparable device from maemo range would have been nokia 770 internet tablet. Even at that the 770 supports 802.11 b/g mode (as opposed to strictly 802.11b), it has USB hostmode (non-powered, and as opposed to only user mode), it has the same amount of internal RAM and flash memory sized restrictions (not talking about extended storage such as SD/MMC). Sure the 770 lacks phone capabilities, it still is superior in other ways compared to HTC Universal which were released months later and most of all the entire maemo series never ran on android nor windows mobile by default.
To begin:

Here is the description of this board: Relevant topics not tied to a specific program, OS or device. Post here if you can't find a better place. So here you are completely wrong.

You just gave 2 useless functions that are not important on a hackers device (did you read the title, if not read it again, those functions are pure multimedia, not related to a hackers device, or developer's device)

You are sure about the hardware, well let me prove you wrong. At that period of time, HTC was not locking the devices and did not have ANY locked hardware. Debian can run freely as on any pc. I never had any issues to play 720p HD videos on Windows Mobile 6.5 (when I had this device) but the 1080 were a little choppy. When running an OPEN SOURCE OS like Android or Debian, you can fine tune everything you want.

HTC Universal also have the USB OTG host-mode. With the latest drivers HTC Universal can read 32GB SDHC Class10 without any problems.

Please do some more research on the device and the development before posting a reply. Here is a demo of the USB OTG on the HTC Universal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfhbEu2WDnk

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
whatever floats your boat duder.

no way I'm gonna analyse the virtues of the N900 here. just read a review watch a video or buy the damn thing to see for yourself.

stop living in 2005

2009 is the year to be, man!
Well I think you didn't mind to read my profile. I think you would've seen there that I am a N900 owner...

I am not living either in 2005 or 2009.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by PurpleXS8 View Post
To begin:

Here is the description of this board: Relevant topics not tied to a specific program, OS or device. Post here if you can't find a better place. So here you are completely wrong.
So why is there sub-topics like Alternatives and Competitors? Are they only used for maemo running on alternative platforms and/or some other hardware running maemo? Wait, why do I see people asking about iOS stuff, android stuff (no not just nitdroid alone) and then ubuntu OS which has nothing to do maemo?

You just gave 2 useless functions that are not important on a hackers device (did you read the title, if not read it again, those functions are pure multimedia, not related to a hackers device, or developer's device)
What is your definition of a hackers device? My definition of a hacker's device is where the device freely allows one to do whatever the hell they want with the device regardless if its software and/or hardware based hack.

DSP hack is related to multimedia, sure that I can relate but I was merely stating upon how one (or a few) have discovered ways to make better use, have a look at fcam for instance. Are they not hacking the device to an extent so that they could bring out more functionality?

mac80211 framework. I cannot see how is that relevant to multimedia. If I were to shift my focus directly onto the use of wireless pentesting tools, how is that not redefining the capabilities of the device hence hacking?

If you want hardware hacks, what about battery mod? what about IR camera hack? what about the myriads of other hardware hacks one could do to their N900?

You are sure about the hardware, well let me prove you wrong. At that period of time, HTC was not locking the devices and did not have ANY locked hardware. Debian can run freely as on any pc. I never had any issues to play 720p HD videos on Windows Mobile 6.5 (when I had this device) but the 1080 were a little choppy. When running an OPEN SOURCE OS like Android or Debian, you can fine tune everything you want.
Since when did I refer that your hardware was locked down? I was stating proprietary components that manufacturers do to prevent any regular Joe from tampering with it. Have a look at N900's ofono which was based around nokia's proprietary dialer.

N900 isn't without any proprietary components, this was why in cases of nitdroid for instance one cannot have full featured access as they did when they were running maemo natively on N900.

HTC Universal also have the USB OTG host-mode. With the latest drivers HTC Universal can read 32GB SDHC Class10 without any problems.
Not according to wikipedia,
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Universal
Connection interface: Client only Mini-USB connector, USB charging, USB 2.0 protocol
. Alas we all know that wikipedia isn't as always updated as what one would expect.

Yet on wikipedia (for SDXC) that states one can use 64GB. These again are besides the point. The discussion of SDHC/SDXC and memory expansion options are not what I was on about but rather the internal RAM and NAND (or NOR) memory.

Please do some more research on the device and the development before posting a reply. Here is a demo of the USB OTG on the HTC Universal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfhbEu2WDnk
Please also do some more research on where to appropriately place the threads to avoid being targeted.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
what can your N900 do and this can't?
Look good. That thing is so ugly I wouldn't want it even if it could do all the things the N900 can. Which it can't.

Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
What is your definition of a hackers device? My definition of a hacker's device is where the device freely allows one to do whatever the hell they want with the device regardless if its software and/or hardware based hack.

If you want hardware hacks, what about battery mod? what about IR camera hack? what about the myriads of other hardware hacks one could do to their N900?

Since when did I refer that your hardware was locked down? I was stating proprietary components that manufacturers do to prevent any regular Joe from tampering with it. Have a look at N900's ofono which was based around nokia's proprietary dialer.

N900 isn't without any proprietary components, this was why in cases of nitdroid for instance one cannot have full featured access as they did when they were running maemo natively on N900.

Not according to wikipedia, . Alas we all know that wikipedia isn't as always updated as what one would expect.

Yet on wikipedia (for SDXC) that states one can use 64GB. These again are besides the point. The discussion of SDHC/SDXC and memory expansion options are not what I was on about but rather the internal RAM and NAND (or NOR) memory.

Please also do some more research on where to appropriately place the threads to avoid being targeted.
I am sorry to inform you but I read the board's description and this thread fitted as well on the General board. I asked a moderator to move it to the competitors so everyone will be happy.

As long as the hardware is almost the same, so few differences the HTC Universal (or MDA PRO, to be more precise about he model I own). Mods like you said can be also ported to the HTC's Linux OS, so I don't see why it can't run those.

HTC Universal doesn't have any proprietary components. Since HTC does not have an OS of their own, the device was supposed to be opened so MS could install that Windows Mobile 5.0. Windows Mobile 5.0 even that it was closed source, it was easy to hack and so, the developers working on Debian ports and Android ports got those OS fully running without any limitations on this device.

About the definition of a hackers device, you are right. That is exactly what a hackers device is, but guess what, the N900 have some limitations too, and you stated them, the HTC doesn't. Also, for example, I want to run Windows Mobile or Windows Phone (6.5, from that version on the hardware is purely not compatible) I can on this, you can't on the N900, and here we are not talking about the OS preferences, we are talking about the possibilities given by the current hardware.

It's true, the wi-fi it's only b and not b/g but at that time, the wi-fi routers were so rare... HTC decided that on that generation the b/g module is not necesary.

You know what's the only difference between you and me in this thread? That I am having on my desk the HTC Universal and the N900 testing them, while you have your N900 in mind and need to search basic user information. If you do a search on N900 on wiki, there is nothing impressive over there either.

Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Look good. That thing is so ugly I wouldn't want it even if it could do all the things the N900 can. Which it can't.
This is not relevant in this thread. Please stop posting if you can't follow the idea of this thread.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
This thread is about a device that can REPLACE the N900, not a "worship the N900" thread.
And what did you expect, exactly? Did you notice the name of this forum?

I just presented a device that can do whatever the N900 does with a few useless functions missing.
"Useless" is a relative term. I have never used and will never use Facebook. It is totally useless for me. But I've heard it is quite popular.

Next time I see a reply like this I will report the person for trolling.
Now, let me get this straight. You come out of nowhere, with no history to judge you by, no reputation. You introduce yourself by making a claim that is guaranteed to spark a negative response. Try asking yourself how you would react having seen someone else through this perspective and only then make judgments about who is more likely to be seen as a troll.

I do not know your pet device. For all I know, you may well be right. All I ask you to do is change your attitude slightly for a better chance to get your point across.

Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
I know this device well,

I even coded for that device ... some directshow / gles dev

was on wince that time and I cant say I liked it

related devices of this erra :

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :