Posts: 196 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Thanks for the explanation,, I am a bit disappointed cause it will not be ported to N900 & N9.. Well hope the best for Jolla to see the upcoming device.

My hope is to port nemo project to N900 (Fully working OS) and not heavy like maemo 5

Originally Posted by salahkhani View Post
Thanks for the explanation,, I am a bit disappointed cause it will not be ported to N900 & N9.. Well hope the best for Jolla to see the upcoming device.

My hope is to port nemo project to N900 (Fully working OS) and not heavy like maemo 5
As well as development costs, Jolla would have to charge for Sailfish because of the licensed components.

But the Nemo team apparently has the rights to distribute them for free (MeeGo legacy).

There's no real reason why Nemo can't be better than Sailfish. Nemo can run Harmattan apps, Sailfish can't.

It's going to take some funky programming to get Harmattan (X11) and Silica apps (Wayland) working on the same phone, but it's surely doable in 1GB.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _David_ For This Useful Post:
I'm sure Nemo will go Wayland too. There is already a working prototype for N9 + wayland + Nemo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
what about n900 and wayland ?
CSSU-T latest version

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by salahkhani View Post

Nemo already works on the N900. It lacks people helping to work on stabilising/fixing bugs in the hardware adaptation, though, so feel free to pitch in.

I'm not sure you'll realistically see much improvement in resource requirements. In particular, RAM is a bit tight.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
what about n900 and wayland ?
Should work. Hasn't been tested. May need a little bit of poking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
About Nemo ... I ve tryed 5 days ago with last release on n950.

While the OS run well, they need help, the base apps aren't all features complete and stable ... (strange things happen in the email apps) ...

Some of my apps are already working for Nemo, was available on MeeGo COBS ... but as this one died, some dependancies died with it, like Pyside ...

Also nemo will problably switch soon to qt5 with wayland ... but PySide for Qt5 are far from being ready

Is there a community repo for Nemo Apps ? (feu apps.formeego.com) ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Nemo already works on the N900. It lacks people helping to work on stabilising/fixing bugs in the hardware adaptation, though, so feel free to pitch in.

I'm not sure you'll realistically see much improvement in resource requirements. In particular, RAM is a bit tight.
Has anyone thought to build in RAM compression?

It was attempted on Maemo but given up on because it was more complicated than expected to exclude the cases where it was counterproductive.

It doesn't need to be written now but if it's possible in the future, that would be awesome.

Also, I imagine if the whole thing was built in Thumb2, that would help too.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
I could think of a few things that would help performance on our poor N900 : Thumb2, using the swap on the eMMC instead of the uSD card (aka flopswap), gcc 4.8 compiler.

But the first and last are difficult, as the whole build infrastructure set-up needs to support it:

Thumb2 looks to be difficult as the N900 is claimed to be not performant enough to run fluid GUIs, of 50-60 fps, when using the SoC thumb erratas that are provided by Pali and other in their uboot/kernel/glibc combination. This due to the now slower context switches. Also the QEMU VM based build infrastructure seems to have a bug when trying to compile Thumb for N900. Btw, these are stskeeps words, not mine.

The latest gcc is also not implemented yet (as far as I know).

So yes, optimizations are still possible but the number of N900 users is falling. And priorities are not always there to for the N900, as expected. Jolla / Sailfish / General Mer is most important now on the infra side, together with the x86 HW adaptations. N9xx HW adaptations were v interesting when there were no devices available but since June there should be at least some Jolla prototypes. Also there was not enough community support testing/developing for Nemo. Think of the whole X11 -> Wayland transition and -related- the Qt4 to Qt5 transition and the new Glacier GUI transition. Everything is in transition

Anyway, there are still plenty of Jolla people willing to help Nemo progress on the N9xx, by promising to help out with the new Nemo Glacier UI and other things.
So it's certainly not dead! But they need help, all they can get! Install, test, raise bugs, help fixing.

Just my 2 cents.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Is there a community repo for Nemo Apps ? (feu apps.formeego.com) ?
Maybe Custodian can prioritise that for openrepos, make it 2nd in line after Harmattan (which he's focussing on now):
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90672

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, nokia, sailfish