Posts: 3 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ hull, england
I have recently swapped my n900 for a HTC desire HD due to boasted RAM and processor as streaming live videos on n900 was pants due to poor processor. also charger port falling out and software issues. I am so gutted I ever did this I would swap HTC for my n900 back any day. Browser may be slower on n900 and not support flash player 10 but is far superior to android. N900 played all my music and avi files but HTC cannot play any music were I have ripped cds in itunes my videos in avi off digi camera don't play. HTC desire HD is absolutely rubbish and wouldn't advise anyone getting one. Maemo is far better than Android. Fair enough plenty of apps but most pointless or do the things n900 can do as standard.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to adamw969 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ South Africa
I feel for you Bro.
Debian

so effing true! epic win!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yeah, Android really isn't an alternative to the N900 users that know what N900 was made for. Sure, the UI is nice and there's apps but that's about it. I'd advice, that don't go Android. Not even NITDroid, it's not worth it (with all due respect to the coders : nice to bring it to the N900 but that's about it. It's nice to have but not to use it, since it's Android).

Only good thing what I got out of Android was the fact, that I realized how disgusting OS it is. I've then completely changed my mind about Maemo 5 and will not give up on it until I replace it with MeeGo. Yes, I'm being a fanboy in here but for a reason.

Once you go to Maemo 5 you shouldn't go back. I've said this before but I'll say it again : Android can **** off for all I care. I may sound bias on Maemo 5's side but it's just true, I can't stand Android. Android can **** off with it's "open" OS, bloatware, locked UI's, no real-multitasking, rooting to fix problems (and voiding warranty) and fragmented marketplace.

I have no respect against Android. Period.

Last edited by rantom; 2011-01-25 at 18:56. Reason: Less rant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
i was thinking of buying a android device due to the battery issue i have with my n900. so instead of spending my hard earned money on a device, i gave nitdroid a shot. at first i prefer it over n900, but about 2 weeks into playing with nitdroid, i saw the shortcomings of it. so back to n900, and kept the android os (nitdroid) on the sd card, so i can easily dispose of it . thanks nitdroid team for saving me 300bux.

The Following User Says Thank You to bobbydoedoe For This Useful Post:
I agree with Android being crap and Maemo not, but I swear if Nokia ****s it up again (no N9/MeeGo at MWC, etc.), I'll avoid Nokia (not MeeGo but Nokia).

The Following User Says Thank You to rooted For This Useful Post:
Agree with you. I come back to the N900 because of these reasons after trying out Android:

1. ssh, sftp built-in. I heard Android has a terminal emulator but I think it's too much work for me to do just to get simple ssh connections. Sftp is really important for my use - transferring files from/to the phone wirelessly. For my android phone, I have to connect a USB cable everytime I want to do something.

2. Android's contact list doesn't integrate every chat services out there like Maemo. For example, some buddies of mine has multiple IM/voice accounts, and they're all listed under his name with online status when I click his contact in Maemo. Not the same function provided on Android.

3. Should not be a reason to use N900 but, yeah, I can run "free" web OS games on it.

Last edited by erythrophilia; 2011-01-25 at 18:23.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
hmmm but the htc hd 2 also has benefits.. the biggest one is that the hd2 has amazing devs like ours.. it can run allmost all Software like

1. meego
2. windows phone 7
3. Android
4. windows mobile

sorry but thats amazing :P

just like the n900 <3

The Following User Says Thank You to Psycho For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
hmmm but the htc hd 2 also has benefits.. the biggest one is that the hd2 has amazing devs like ours.. it can run allmost all Software like

1. meego
2. windows phone 7
3. Android
4. windows mobile
However, it is missing one important piece which is Maemo 5.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Hamburg/Germany
i was searching for the right phone/mobile Computer. First try was a HTC Desire, Second one the Samsumg Galaxy i9000. So high-end devices...

After 3 Days of using it, i brought them back and buy a N900. Knowing that CPU is not so powerful as the other competitors.

BUT: There is no other OS at the moment, that is so productive as Maemo (hope Meego will be the same). The workflow is so fast, short ways to solve problems, nice multitasking.

Sure i have no 60FramesPerSecond on menü animations and sometimes the device is a little bit laggy. Whatever, the OS is still the best on the market. Android?! No way! If you whant work fast Androids Look&Feel is like typing a book with broken fingers. Android is like ios with OpenSourcePlacebo in it.

The only thing is the Size and weight. The N900 is a big-***...

Tags
idiot's, zomgitsamazing!