Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
lol, pr1.3 did fixed bugs, but it was more made for devs to make easier for meego trying and developing. as well most samll and critical bugs are not fixed and there are new that are critical (sms thing, basic thing) and i don't know if we would have pr1.4 to fix it and if it would be just marked s fixed as music after call playing (really? do i have to go everywhere with turned off sound?it's not new as well and still there). yes it's computer, but also development of linux on computer is little bit different, as windows do give u some kinda support and in linux we have developers fixing bugs and releasing everything separetly, but here we have huge FW, community can't influence, we don't have proper roadmap as well as we didn't got proper changelogs of last fw. it's not made for us anymore(users) but devs, only prototypes and showings off, no real support. and i would accept it if they do say it in face, but they didn't. and please leave "research first" as i'm linux user and i did. and i like geeky stuff, but seriously or give it away to community and go fully opensource. you can use people to develop to you but control them, it's not opensource. as well as small things (and i don't really care about video calls, though what for front cam, and not ringtones and those things people cry about) but just more openness(even if it still concludes blobs and closed drivers) and some info of what is going on, or at least support. android is not that open for example, but still they do support, g1 though is not the newst phone gets the latests updates one of the first, cause google doesnot abound

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
hold the galaxy or iphone

they are fine and easily fit in the pocket

they also weigh +_ the same as the n900
THE

IPHONE

HAS

A

THREE

POINT

FIVE

INCH

SCREEN

WHICH

HAPPENS

TO

BE

THE

SAME

SIZE

AS

THE

N900's. (There must be a conspiracy somewhere about this... /s)

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rickysio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
rickysio, maybe it's time stop it man, srsly

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
So, I bought an N8. Fourteen days to return for the cost of shipping? Worth the experiment.

I'll be returning it and going back to my N900.

The N8 is svelte and fast and has that impressive 12MP camera and some good widgets. Email works well, a good client. Pixelpipe is well embedded in the "Send" functionality.

I miss the keyboard on my N900. I even missed the software keyboard. I miss the very smooth integration of IM and SMS in the conversation application. I miss Skype, and really miss its smooth integration into the phone application.

I miss the tag cloud for tagging and distributing photos. I miss the really flexible desktops, where web shortcuts show up as thumbnails and contacts or applications go where you want them to.

The themes on the N900 really skin the device, all the way to the menu icons in many cases. The very fact that someone could actually write an MMS application that plays well with everything on the device - I was, and remain, impressed. (Yes, I know it's not necessary for it to be written for the N8. I'm not disputing that. But I can send MMS messages on my N900, which is all I care about - not that it didn't come in the tin.)

I can SSH into my N900 from my Mac and wander around its drives - wirelessly - and drag and drop what I need to where I want to.

I liked the maps in the N8 but the map application in the N900 is sufficient for my needs. If I need real GPS in my car, I use the real GPS in my car. On foot, the N900 shows me where I am, and can show me where I need to go to get where I'm going.

And the camera? I discovered I have over 300 photos on the MicroSD I moved from my N900 to the N8. Almost all of there were taken with the N900. The camera is good.

Symbian vs Maemo. I really don't care. Symbian is small and fast - it just needs a better UI. Oddly enough, I find Maemo's UI smoother. As Symbian evolves, it will improve. I look forward to seeing what happens. I also look forward to seeing what Nokia delivers in the way of a Meego UI.

The E7? Who knows? Maybe I'll give myself a New Year's gift. It has a keyboard!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
i often think about writing a thread such as this but then stop. i believe most people are essentially happy with this device and those who are not...well what can you say.

after owning this for 7 months all i can say is im in love. would not admit this in other forums but i believe we are all quirky here. ive used my wifes desire hd and as sexy as it is - its just so plain. it felt wrong in my hand. it was missing the terminal and the task switching window. its widgets were too pretty and worked too well. it left me no room for exploration and discovery. android does it all but n900 does what no other device dares to even.

goodnight maemo5 lovers!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Besides the disk space issues, i guess probably my only complaint about the N900 is the speakers are so low that it's kinda emasculating.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Speakers? Low? I don't ever notice this. (Of course, by default the actual speakers are loud enough for me on the lowest setting. I only turn it up for actual video music playing if I'm somewhere noisy.)

I DO have a qualm with the speaker for the earpiece volume, because of the way it's built in the casing being so self-muffling.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
My previous mobile was a N73, which in the words of some dude i don't remember the nick from IRC, has epic speakers.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
1. I agree that it would be nice to have more positive atmosphere in this forum.

2. I also accept the fact that Nokia, n900 and maemo/MeeGo are not doing as 'well' as initially/commonly 'expected'; thus the deluge of complaints in this forum.

There's no way to reason/rationalize one by one against all the individuals that are not happy with nokia/n900/maemo-MeeGo. You can't change their mind to be happy without addressing the actual issues. (Yes, yes, it's great that you personally like maemo/MeeGo/the n900/Nokia.)

So I think it's not unreasonable to make a gigantic 'rants' thread, or even a subforum for this =p Because it's just human nature if they want to vent out their frustrations.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Some positive thinking ?

My mind is open to new ideas.
The Spirit is ever active in me.
The Divine Mind is inexhaustible.
There is no weary or monotonous action in Spirit.
It is forever new and vibrant, fresh with ideas.
I know that I am continuously receiving new impressions
from Life - new, better and fuller ways of living.
I let the newness, freshness and originality of Spirit
permeate my entire consciousness.

Ernest Holmes.