Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I hope for a dual boot to solve the app gap

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I hope for a dual boot to solve the app gap
Yep, dual boot should be OK for those people who need an Android app now and then, I would not want to pollute the SFOS side with Androidy bits.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
That would be the correct answer. However, there are open source alternatives, which can be worked on to get to and passed their level of integration and implementation. Anbox being one example.

I am seriously considering of getting the device I was planning to test out the device at their office if/once they organise that. In which case I would work on an android app compatibility layer be it Anbox or something else.

Speaking of Anbox, by default the keyboard is disabled as it is set up for use on a desktop/laptop. This device would not have that issue, making one less thing to fix.
For what it's worth, Anbox is already in the ascii-backports repos which are compatible with Maemo Leste. Bar some PVR video driver issues, we're close to getting it running in Leste. If it turns out that the mainline A5xx Freedreno driver is in a good state (mainline Freedreno is in a much better state than PVR), Anbox should just work out-of-the-box.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2019-03-11 at 16:50.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
For what it's worth, Anbox is already in the ascii-backports repos which are compatible with Maemo Leste. Bar some PVR video driver issues, we're close to getting it running in Leste. If it turns out that the mainline A5xx Freedreno driver is in a good state (mainline Freedreno is in a much better state than PVR), Anbox should just work out-of-the-box.
What works and what doesn't in Anbox though? last time I tried (some time ago now) networking and sensors didn't work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Even if it would be better to have Alien Dalvik, I can leave quite well without Android apps...
Android needs to be bulletproof on this device to stand a chance. That means regular updates at a minimum, no bloatware, and strong custom ROM support
Everything else is secondary or further below

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Android needs to be bulletproof on this device to stand a chance. That means regular updates at a minimum, no bloatware, and strong custom ROM support
Everything else is secondary or further below
From what I've read Chen intends for it to be basically 'Android One' but maybe without paying for the brand name.

Since it'll be treble based, custom android roms should just slot in, in theory anyway...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Will there be a proper Notes app like on the N900?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
What works and what doesn't in Anbox though? last time I tried (some time ago now) networking and sensors didn't work.
I've no idea about sensors (not tested them) but networking works. You just need to set up a bridge interface like you would for any other LXC container. There is a script included in the Anbox package for Debian which facilitates this.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
Will there be a proper Notes app like on the N900?
there are a lot of them already available on Android. They should focus on other important parts of the OS and hardware

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit