Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Nexus 5 runs the same version of Sailfish as jPhone now. Hardware is different, but everything on top of hybris is the same!
No, some items in Sailfish for Nexus 5 don't work or aren't available.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
No, some items in Sailfish for Nexus 5 don't work or aren't available.
but thats only the dalvik... anything else?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Nexus 5 is definitely a better choice. I do not not need or miss Dalvik / Android apps at all.
Also Fairphone 2 looks promising, but is a bit pricey since it's European made.
And the India's Intex SfOS phone will be anounced in a few weeks time. Could be another viable alternative to check.

Last edited by beobachter; 2016-01-20 at 03:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beobachter For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by beobachter View Post
Nexus 5 is definitely a better choice. I do not not need or miss Dalvik / Android apps at all.
Also Fairphone 2 looks promising, but is a bit pricey since it's European made.
And the India's Intex SfOS phone will be anounced in a few weeks time. Could be another viable alternative to check.
But remember that the bands used in the Intex is also not compatible in Argentina, just like Jolla.

I think that CepiPerez would love to make use of 4G for a change ^^

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
M$ Exchange also

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
wouldn't recommend the n5. I'm usin the n5 and n4 images for testing purposes. Another not mentioned constraint are ota updates. N5 got ota with manually adding repos etc. So in case you want to update keep in mind that all is a work in progess state. Sometimes you have to wait until new system updates out. another thing is the high cpu load. sensors raise them up. this was mentioned already.

Why are the specs relevant? I think for the specs the jolla phone have it runs quite well. I would say: buy a jolla and be save!

cepi, where do you live? would it be helpful to send you some package from brazil or are the restrictions beeing the same?

Maybe somebody from germany is travelling to cepi's country? would gave them a suprise package for cepi...

ahoy

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carepack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Problems with sensors (NFC, etc), touch screen freezes, see :
https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris
https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Ada...for_hammerhead
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94620&page=41

I suggest Matias to consider 2 things :
- the majority of users have Jolla smartphone, so to better deal to solve bugs and implement features 100% compatible, it is recommended to have the same plataform (hardware+software). For example, I've only one N900, with Maemo 5 in standard configuration (many softwares installed, overclocking, but no CSSU, new kernels, etc) to maintain compatbility for developing and testing softwares;
- avoid using the new smartphone wth Sailfish OS in normal use, use just at home (for development, etc), to avoid being lost 3rd time. Where it is dangerous, there are cheaper phones available to use. This problem is common in Brazil, where e.g,, a high-end new iPhone costs US$1000 and they are a target for thiefs.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
err, guys.
What is the problem with getting both?
No offense but >200% result and we are texting about spending 200 or 300?.

100% = 1 phone,
200% = 2 phones?

Didn't we talk about at least getting two phones to reduce the "bus factor"? ("train factor" in cepis case)

Next argument, who but cepi could become an expert to advice devs how to optimize theyr apps for ported and original devices?

Again, absolutely no offense.
If cepi needs the money to spend on completely other stuff than hardware to even continue coding and only one phone acquisition is possible, abolutely fine, no further question. Pardon me if this looks like urging cepi then.

Only, could having both phones bear synergies we haven't even discussed about?
I would go so far to advice getting a third cheap android or feature phone to even more reduce the train factor.

Last edited by mosen; 2016-01-20 at 13:38. Reason: typoz from zee german

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Well to be honest, if somebody even struggles to replace his stolen phone / broken computer, it's quite stupid to invest all of the money he get through a donation for gadgets he don't really need.

But it's more senseful to pay the bills and buy clothes and something to eat.

First get your life/financials sorted than you can buy stuff you don't really need.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
First get your life/financials sorted than you can buy stuff you don't really need.
totally!
I was explicitely excluding that case from my advice as you can read

But it is not up to us too decide on anything.
That is what all the charity organizations i know do wrong.
A tendency to underestimate the folks they donate to.

If no hardware was stolen or gone south, we wouldn't have heard anything from super humble cepi.
Now there is some extra money, so why not treat him as a normal maemoean and suggest what could be technically benefitial in his situation.

after all, life is not all about the basic needs but also spiritual and social development!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
cepiperez, donation, fundraising, we need help