Originally Posted by muttleytm View Post
cd /home/user/bin
./nupgrade.sh 0

when I type in ./nupgrade I get the following error:

-sh : ./nupgrade.sh Permission denied
Assuming that you are root, try coding
Code:
chmod a+x /home/user/bin/nupgrade.sh
If nupgrade is giving you trouble, you could do the cloning from command line instead.

I believe that nupgrade.sh is a script that gathers into one place all of the procedures detailed in http://schmots.blogspot.com/2008/04/...tual-dual.html
with some updating that you will have to do if you follow Schmots instead of the instructions that you have.

GNUtar is available through App Manager now (in Diablo Extras, I think), and so all of Schmots' material from "apt-get -d install tar" to "dpkg -x tar*.deb /tar-temp/" can be replaced by installing GNUtar through App Manager.

If you install it that way, GNUtar is invoked with the command "gtar". So, wherever Schmots has written "/tar-temp/bin/tar", you need to replace it with "gtar". The command for the actual cloning (after the insmod and mount business) is:

Code:
gtar cf - -C /floppy . | gtar xvf - -C /opt
(Careful about the spaces, the dot and the upper-case letters "C".)

There is a typo in the first "insmod" line, where he is telling you to use 2.6.21 for OS2008 instead of 2.6.18 for OS2007. The typo is in the "omap1", where he has put a letter "l" that should be a number "1". You also have to use 2.6.21-omap1 for the second "insmod" command.

Don't worry if any of the "insmod" commands return an error saying that the module is not available for insertion. That probably just means that it has already been inserted into the kernel. You can check this by coding
Code:
lsmod
which will return a list of the kernel modules already in operation.

(In "lsmod", it's a letter "l", not a number "1".)

Equally, don't worry if a "mkdir" command returns an error saying that the directory already exists. It might be worth checking that /opt and /floppy are empty in this case, because you don't want any extraneous junk corrupting your newly cloned OS.

Also,

I set it up to boot from the SD card, but, I'm thinking I don't like that idea. How do I put it back to opening with bootloader?
Sorry, I don't understand what you want to do. If you want to boot from the internal flash, just select that option in the bootmenu.

If you want to scrap the whole thing, reflash the initfs to its former condition and reformat the SD card. (But you will regret not following through with your plans.)

I did a chmod 755 nupgrade.sh and got it to work.

I'm to:

./nupgrade.sh 1

and I get:

"Installing ext2.ko module and mounting Internal Flash card, second partition... insmod: can't open '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/ext2.ko': No such file or directory mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p2 on /opt failed"

The instructions say to
do the following (similar to the above remedy during error of "./nupgrade.sh 0")
cp /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/ext2.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/
and repeat "./nupgrade.sh 1"

I've done cp /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/ext2.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/ and I get the following error:

sh:uname-r: not found
sh:uname-r not found
cp: cannot stat '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules//ext2.ko':No such file or directory

I've done it a few times and think I have typed everything correctly, but, it is getting late...

cd /home/user/bin
./nupgrade.sh 0

when I type in ./nupgrade I get the following error:

-sh : ./nupgrade.sh Permission denied
Did you run that command as root?

yes, I'm in root.

I've been able to run nupgrade 0 after I did a chmod 755.

Now I get:

can't open '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/ext2.ko': No such file or directory mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p2 on /opt failed"

after I did:

when I run ./nupgrade 1

I misspoke.

I'm trying to do:

and I get the following error:

sh:uname-r: not found
sh:uname-r not found
cp: cannot stat '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules//ext2.ko':No such file or directory

before I get to ./nupgrade 1

If I do find -name ext2.ko I get:

./mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/ext2.ko

I imagine I would just want to copy this to:

/lib/modules/(uname-r)/

If I do a find on (uname-r) or uname-r I don't get anything.

I suppose this stands for something, but, what?

I figured out uname -r

I completed the process but when I look at mmc1 and mmc2 in file manager I don't see any files and when I go to install pyradio I get a message saying there is not enough memory in target directory.

Along the way at nupgrade.sh 3 I got a permission denied for tar so I did a chmod 755.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
when I look at mmc1 and mmc2 in file manager I don't see any files
You won't see them in File Manager, because the File Manager app wasn't designed to display them. (You may have noticed that it doesn't display your root file system either, except for sub-directories of the /home directory.)

When the File Manager refers to "Internal memory card" or "Removable memory card", it only means the first partition of the relevant card, formatted as FAT16 or FAT32.

If you want to access the root file system on your SD card, you should boot from the card. (OK, there are a few purposes for which you might mount one root file system on another, but normally it's a bad idea.) After the cloning, did you reboot, choosing the SD partition in the bootmenu? If so, the files you now find in XTerm are the files on your SD partition (and the files in File Manager make up the /home/user part of that rootfs).

Sorry I can't help you with details specific to nupgrade or the other scripts, because I have never used them. A while ago, I always used the UNIX/Linux commands for partitioning and cloning. Nowadays, if I want to partition and format a card, I put the card into a USB card reader and partition/format it with GParted on a PC running Ubuntu. You don't even have to install Ubuntu on the PC's hard drive. You can use GParted from Ubuntu on a LiveCD or LiveUSB.

Last edited by scaler; 2011-07-14 at 19:07.