If you never deleted the first 770-related pre-loaded entry in RSS news reader, you will most likely find a request to participate in a survey about the 770 next time you access RSS.

I put the following down in the box where freeform comments are invited:

Add USB host, stop putting in NEW bugs with each software update, increase RAM (512MB!), increase CPU speed, update Flash for YouTube/Google Video, make Bluetooth pairing with keyboards *work*, get rid of desktop-mimic UI and create a new paradigm for Tablet OS, make Bookmarks sort faster, fix crash-prone File Manager, create two levels of model -- one as current, one OQO-like with sliding keyboard, new model should have microSD for use with latest Nokia phones, lower price of next models, evangelize to developers more, be responsive to user/owner complaints about product limitations and faults.

I probably want more, but that's all I could think of under time pressure. Maybe the rest of you might want to prepare your remarks...

Last edited by Mike Cane; 2006-09-29 at 21:38. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Mike Cane
...stop putting in NEW bugs with each software update
Come off it Mike - that comment is ridiculous, and really underlines your lack of credibility in this field.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, it's the same with software development. Let's say Nokia fix 300 bugs in each release, they're bound to introduce a few new ones - but you won't be happy. Boo hoo.

/smartass mode off

Let's see, their last 2005 Update

1) Screwed up the Desktop Clock

2) Made Shift key stuck in Opera

If this gross incompetency is acceptable to you, do me the favor of not commenting on my posts. You obviously have no standard of quality.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
What's the address for the RSS feed? I deleted mine out of habit and would like to participate.

Larry

Originally Posted by lbattraw
What's the address for the RSS feed? I deleted mine out of habit and would like to participate.

Larry

http://tableteer.nokia.com/rss/internettabletnews.xml

Etaoin

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
If you never deleted the first 770-related pre-loaded entry in RSS news reader, you will most likely find a request to participate in a survey about the 770 next time you access RSS.

I put the following down in the box where freeform comments are invited:

Add USB host, stop putting in NEW bugs with each software update, increase RAM (512MB!), increase CPU speed, update Flash for YouTube/Google Video, make Bluetooth pairing with keyboards *work*, get rid of desktop-mimic UI and create a new paradigm for Tablet OS, make Bookmarks sort faster, fix crash-prone File Manager, create two levels of model -- one as current, one OQO-like with sliding keyboard, new model should have microSD for use with latest Nokia phones, lower price of next models, evangelize to developers more, be responsive to user/owner complaints about product limitations and faults.

I probably want more, but that's all I could think of under time pressure. Maybe the rest of you might want to prepare your remarks...
Get a laptop...

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I'm in it to win. Polls like this are only good if they actually use the data collected to prioritize future developments of a product line. We'll see what comes of this one way or another.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Add USB host, stop putting in NEW bugs with each software update, increase RAM (512MB!), increase CPU speed, update Flash for YouTube/Google Video, make Bluetooth pairing with keyboards *work*, get rid of desktop-mimic UI and create a new paradigm for Tablet OS, make Bookmarks sort faster, fix crash-prone File Manager, create two levels of model -- one as current, one OQO-like with sliding keyboard, new model should have microSD for use with latest Nokia phones, lower price of next models...

Excuse the sarcasm, but do you also want the new model to be free, have unlimited battery life, be able to edit HD videos and play DVDs and make coffee?

The 770 costs 350€, that is actually pretty cheap for what you get. The compromises between processing power and battery life are also state of the art. Stop dreaming.

OTOH, I think that we are entitled to better software, pairing with a bluetooth keyboard (made by Nokia!), a better e-mail client (one which would allow me to control download costs, I can't be the only one with that problem), a decent text editor, and maybe some relatively easy changes like making google video work (it's only fun, but it would be easy to program).

Yet, I just did the study, and there are questions like "how important is you phone as a fashion accessory?" or "do you use X-press-on covers on a color matching your clothes?" which make me think that Nokia marketing department has NO idea on who is using the 770.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE
Get a laptop...
LOL, this was going to be my reply to what is an extremely naive posting. Sort of like buying a Corolla (do they still make those?) and then complaining to Toyota that it isn't a Camry. Jeez...just buy the Camry for God's sake.

Stop asking for host mode. It already has it. Oh, you mean powered host mode? Ok, stop that, the power system cannot handle it.

Stop using the 770 as your primary PC. It's just an access terminal (and a damned good one at that!).

Stop muddying the issues with specious complaints. Apparently the staff at Nokia devoted to the 770 is pretty thin. Focus on the real issues. <there were a few in the original posting>

This is just general commentary, opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Devon, UK
If my memory is right then Mike did get his 770 free. So perhaps in future many more folks will get them free too. (It could happen, consider OLPC)

Anyway, some of Mikes points aren't too unreasonable. The 770 is old enough now that its fair to ask for both more memory and faster CPU - though this is likely to harm battery life. I expect if existing users were asked to choose between faster CPU and more memory they'd choose more memory. As for battery life vs clock speed I'd go with battery life, but others may have different needs.

The user interface should have menus that pop up rather than pull down when working with a stylus, it's common sense surely to try and keep hands from obscuring the display. I'm sure there are other changes from a desktop style that would benefit users, except that then it starts to feel unfamiliar to the many folks alive today who have never known interfaces other than those provided by Microsoft and the like.