Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have a Gateway dual core processor computer that is less than a year old.

I started having a problem that seemed to be related to overheating.

It would simply turn off suddenly, like it was protecting itself.

If I rebooted and tried again immediately, it would immediately turn itself off again.

But if I waited awhile, it would run fine for some time, perhaps for hours.

This happened in Windows 7 and in Linux.

It began getting worse and worse. Finally, I was beginning to think I would replace the (onboard) graphics with an add-on card. Or maybe I would purchase a cooler of some kind.

In Linux I crashed so much that my installation of Linux (Mint, I think I started with) was messed up. Then when I tried to reinstall Linux, of course I crashed then. Finally I managed to install Fedora by adding nomode vesa or similar parameters to the kernel. But it would always crash soon. It was actually better in Windows 7, but eventually it became intolerable.

Then the problem went away. I did nothing to fix it. I didn't open up the computer and reinsert any boards, for example. I didn't tighten any power cords that I can think of.

It had lasted for several months. What caused it? Any ideas?

It sounds like either overheating or bad memory.. but neither of which should "just fix."

Unless you had stuff stacked around the computer/PSU that were covering the intake and exhaust holes (if you have a case with multiple fan openings), or just the PSU exhaust if that's all there is. This could cause the computer to constantly overheat.

If the computer was inside something while running (like some of those desks that allow you "hide" your computer in a cupboard) - can also get hot in there.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Could have been a bios problem.

I had a similar problem some years ago, and I installed severall versions of OS on the PC. After some tries and Bios update, it worked well.

It shouldn't have been memory -- it's the stuff that came from Gateway and isn't that old.

I like the theory of blocking exhaust holes, except it's hard to see how that could happen where it is.

The bios lists a "smart fan". It can be turned off, after which the fan gets objectionably loud. I had another computer with settings for smart fan levels in the bios, but this one just let you choose smart or dumb. I chose smart. Luckily, this miracle cure occured.

I didn't change the bios, though I thought about it.

There seems to be some sort of vent UNDER the front of the computer. I didn't think of that. I could have blocked that one. It's not blocked now.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
My place is about 10C warmer in the summer on average. Could it be your ambient temperature?

The blocked floor vent could definitely be a factor. That's the main intake for some vendor PCs i've seen.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
My place is about 10C warmer in the summer on average. Could it be your ambient temperature?
That's what I was thinking as well. That, and how much dust there might be on the motherboard.

Today's CPU's go into thermal protection mode at some relatively high temperatures. It takes a lot to send a processor into that mode.

Yes, good points. I didn't deal with the dust factor (not so easy to get to this computer), and this Southern California townhouse is of course warmer in summer, though it gets pretty warm inside in winter as well.

Unless you live in a Cleanroom, you have dust.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
had the same problem and ended up taking my computer apart. updated bios, changed the ram, reinstalled windows, cleaned the dust, reseated the fan, but nothing worked. ended up buying a new motherboard. i guess i shouldve just waited lol

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I had the exact same problem on my Gateway. It was/is less than a year old, and the problem started 3 months ago.

The reboot started happening at 30 min intervals and got progressively worse. It then progressed to less than 5 minutes and then it will not even power up for 10 or 20 minutes -- like some protective circuit tripped.

Then it went away by itself one fine day. It has been working 'fine" for the last 5 days or so, and I am just crossing my fingers.

BTW when I called Costco concierge support, they patched me to gateway support. They suspected software problem! I was very skeptical.

They suggested that I stop the booting process by hitting F2(?) (may be F8), and then leave it at the bios configuration screen. Sure enough it never used to shut down while in that screen! Even when the problem was very sever and repeatable.

They wanted me to get back to them after that, but before I could the problem went away. Now I am not sure what to do!

I am reasonably convinced that it has something to do with software, and some auto update fixed it.