Originally Posted by smarsh View Post
Agreed on the stand, I'm a little concerned as to its fragility (haven't seen it yet though) so I'm toying with this idea: http://www.myizel.com/

Anyone seen/used?
The Myizel dingus looks neats and I wouldn't mind having a couple such stands around for all my gadgets at home, but I would hate to carry such a thing around with me all the time. One of the big attractions of the N900, for me, is that it is a single pocket solution. If the device is such a compromise design that I need to carry around an external stand, bluetooth keyboard, or other accessories to use it effectively, then it instantly defeats the purpose. I feel like a lot of devices have sacrificed too much functionality in the quest to be ever smaller and more easily lost in the seat cushions

I really like the overall bullet points of the N900, but wish they were in a device with a 4-5" screen (1024*600 wouldn't be a bad idea, either) with a larger keyboard and D-Pad and a full device width, multiple viewing angle, integral stand. While such a device would obviously be bigger than the N900, it would be a LOT smaller than the space used by my N95+N810. I basically want what I see as the NIT mission statement "As close to a desktop level Internet experience as will fit in a pocket."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
The greater screen DPI while maintaining the same (I assume) touch screen precision will make it harder to poke at small UI elements. As a result, most of the UI is extremely oversized and designed for manipulation with chubby, greasy fingers.
This is my biggest complaint.

I don't wear glasses, so I can't comment about "handicaps" and optometrists, etc, and I do not find myself straining to read the N900's screen.

EDIT: Just to make what I said clear: I find viewing on the N900's screen, even pages of text, to be fine.

But I certainly find interacting with the screen to be more difficult. The built-in apps and their football-stadium-sized buttons make it easy to use with fingers, but as soon as you wander off of the "optimised for Fremantle" path, you quickly need the stylus and a very steady hand.

Another consideration which I think bears on the screen is the lousy stand.
I keep forgetting the device has a stand. The first word that jumps into my head is "vestigial". I have never found a use for it.

I always feel like each successive Maemo device is a couple steps forward and a couple steps back and a couple steps in random directions.
That really nails it for me, too.

Last edited by qole; 2009-11-09 at 19:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by qole View Post
This is my biggest complaint.

I don't wear glasses, so I can't comment about "handicaps" and optometrists, etc, and I do not find myself straining to read the N900's screen.

EDIT: Just to make what I said clear: I find viewing on the N900's screen, even pages of text, to be fine.

But I certainly find interacting with the screen to be more difficult. The built-in apps and their football-stadium-sized buttons make it easy to use with fingers, but as soon as you wander off of the "optimised for Fremantle" path, you quickly need the stylus and a very steady hand.

I keep forgetting the device has a stand. The first word that jumps into my head is "vestigial". I have never found a use for it.

That really nails it for me, too.
Thanks for the honest feedback.
It does seem like more and more of a beta-device that tries to be both a phone and a 'computer' - or whatever the chosen term was - where the UX (as well as the stand-issue) ends up suffering. That's not to say that a lot of people won't enjoy it - it's just another reason that I won't buy into it.

I really do hope that Nokia sorts out their schizofrenia about smart-phone or tablet direction and deliver an N1000 with a focused effort on one or the other. Odds are I'd buy either.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Also, colours ( ) seem to be more saturated than on the N8x0 and the display slightly brighter on max setting (though that might be just my N810's screen showing it's age).

Yes, it's borderline useless. I actually use it more often for extra grip between the fingers than for the 'original' purpose (the angle is too small to use it as a real stand, and as a right hander I always tip it over when trying to scroll).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
A Mini DV cassette case placed under the stand brings the N900 up to a sufficient angle that I can use it as a Twitter monitor on my desk at work, much as I used my N800 and N810 previously. Sadly, that's the best I've come up with, and as it does nothing for stability, using the touch screen is still well-nigh impossible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
A Mini DV cassette case placed under the stand brings the N900 up to a sufficient angle that I can use it as a Twitter monitor on my desk at work, much as I used my N800 and N810 previously. Sadly, that's the best I've come up with, and as it does nothing for stability, using the touch screen is still well-nigh impossible.
we may have hit on another defining characteristic of what separates tablets from phones here.

The Following User Says Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
i still have the 770's "stand" around somewhere... maybe it's the right size.

If the stand is as bad for me as I am hearing it is for you guys I would pay money for a replacement battery cover that had a good stand, even if it added a couple mm to the total width.

The Following User Says Thank You to Renesis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I still have the same concerns I had before. And I still qualify them by saying the screen is great for a phone... not so much for some tablet stuff (car GPS mostly).

I've had some difficulty on phone-unfriendly websites for the most part, with their teeny little checkboxes or lists with too little spacing that require a stylus or zooming. Some of the N900 UI elements are actually a bit small for my fat fingers too-- I wish the Accept Call button was twice as thick as the deny button, for instance, to weed out mistakes.

Don't ask me to use the N900 as an ebook reader though-- my old eyes aren't up to it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Don't ask me to use the N900 as an ebook reader though-- my old eyes aren't up to it.
If you were using garnet VM, mobipocket had adjustable sized text. But who knows if and when that will come out for the n900.