This morning I've read this page (in italian) just reporting that probably Nokia will integrate a GPS module in a "next" version on our tablet.
Really next... They talk about 2 weeks!

http://www.portel.it/news/news2.asp?news_id=13783

Hope this is not completly spam to you...
Bye!

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
La Gate 5 dovrebbe fornire solamente il software, cosa che già fa per altre piattaforme.
Secondo me non è un GPS integrato (mi pare assai improbabile che lo possano sviluppare in un così breve tempo a meno che non lo stessero già facendo, ma non mi pare comunque un target Nokia), più probabile che sia un bundle.

Translation
As far as I know, Gate 5 will just supply the software, they are already doing it on other platforma apart from 770.
Guess it is not an embedded GPS (just think about developing and testing the new boards etc. in such a small time - the webpage talks of a 770 with integrated GPS that should be sold within 2 weeks.) but a bundle 770 + BT receiver.

Translated by Babblefish (Not perfect but you get the point):

20 Wednesdays September 2006

Until now he had been reticente to I use of the Gps integrated in the range of the telephones, for two important reasons: the consumption of the battery and the dimensions of the screen.

But hour Nokia, after the purchase of the fine August of Gate5 (http://www.gate5.de/), specialized in services LBS (we remember 'smart2go' for navigation in mobility), as it emphasizes the same Anssi Vanjoki (Executive Vice President and General Manager, Multimedia, Nokia)"Gate5 will give the possibility to Nokia to offer to maps and distances to the own customers, in an emergent market and wide expansion that one previews increase previewed within 2006 until 15 million pieces unit sold with the gps integrated".

Nokia would have short exiting, to the speed record of two weeks, with integrated version GPS of tablet 770 (http://www.portel.it/telefonini/recensioni.asp?id=21) with a display adapted but it will equip of Gps also the next models of the N series, in escape the next year.

The new models would have to be announce in the course of the press conference to you of fine september previewed to New York.

Here is older news of Gate5 for Nokia 770.
"Nokia said it will release a Gate5-produced navigation software update for the Nokia 770 internet tablet, although this will require the puraches of a separate GPS unit."

This is good news...
but, will lt be avaliable in 2 weeks?
that seems a bit unrealistic...

btw does anyone know if this software will be another "free" upgrade, or something that well have to buy as an extra? And how much will it cost?

Originally Posted by lmf
This is good news...
but, will lt be avaliable in 2 weeks?
Last weekday of Q4 2005, Q1 2006 and Q2 2006 we got software update. Last weekday of Q3 2006 is 29th of september. I guess something will happend then, but will it be only software update or will Nokia publish new device too?