Notices

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I just submitted to the autobuilder. The new feature I have been working on is places checkin. Facebook doesn't have this in every country yet, but for those in countries where it works, please give it a test run.

A few caveats:
  • I haven't figured out how to tell how many satellites are used...it may be in a later version of Qt Mobility. So sometimes your first GPS fix is a little off because it is just the AGPS. If you hit the refresh button, you will get an updated list of places to select from when you have a better fix (usually a few seconds after the first fix)
  • Places is still a little rough on facebook...you might find multiple entries for the place you are visiting. Not sure what criteria to offer to pick which is better
  • I haven't added functionality to list your friends who have checked in at the same location. Not sure if it is of value or not (if your friends are not checking in, for instance), so please provide feedback

Let me know how it works, and how to improve it for you.

Note: nothing seems to be moving on autobuilder, so it may be a while before it gets submitted and ends up in the repository. I will make a note here when I get the notice that it has made it through the food chain.

Edit: I had a dependency problem--needed to add a dev file for the mobility location stuff. I just got the OK from autobuilder, so it should hit the repositories soon. Enjoy.

Last edited by rmerren; 2010-12-09 at 04:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
I installed effing 0.6.1-1 today. As advertised, it connects to Facebook, shows me my recent status messages, and lets me post new ones. Yay!

Effing also uses about 50-percent of the CPU. Why is that?

Originally Posted by talmage View Post
I installed effing 0.6.1-1 today. As advertised, it connects to Facebook, shows me my recent status messages, and lets me post new ones. Yay!

Effing also uses about 50-percent of the CPU. Why is that?
Is it consistently taking 50% cpu? That's not good. I wonder if the animation in qml is a power suck. I will check it out.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Also: the update from last night (0.7.1-1) lets you post checkins to facebook places.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland
Hi
why can't I change effing N900 to N900 Status Updater permanetly? Every time I open setting it is set on effing N900.

Originally Posted by raverpol View Post
Hi
why can't I change effing N900 to N900 Status Updater permanetly? Every time I open setting it is set on effing N900.
I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
Is it consistently taking 50% cpu? That's not good. I wonder if the animation in qml is a power suck. I will check it out.
On startup, it uses about 50% waiting for communication with Facebook.

Usage continues at that level after it receives the status messages.

Is it polling?

Originally Posted by talmage View Post
On startup, it uses about 50% waiting for communication with Facebook.

Usage continues at that level after it receives the status messages.

Is it polling?
No polling--it only reads on startup or when you hit refresh--but I will test to see if the meager QML animations taking place are sucking up resources. Other than that, it just sits there and reacts to input.

Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
No polling--it only reads on startup or when you hit refresh--but I will test to see if the meager QML animations taking place are sucking up resources. Other than that, it just sits there and reacts to input.
It is definitely the animations. Just a few fading and returning letters sucked up almost 50% of a cpu on my desktop. I am going to disable them for the next release.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Both issues mentioned here (high cpu usage and config menu resetting the tagline) are resolved. I also plugged a potential memory leak. I will try to push out a new version later today.

Can I disable the places checkin? I don't want to use it ever, ever, ever.

Would you tell us, please, Mr. Merren, why Effing needs each of the three, four, or five FB permissions it asks for? I'd be interested to know if it could use fewer.