Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
I will be traveling to Rome and would like to use my N900 for both Maps and geo tagging my pictures.

So my question is:
-In the maps app, after acquiring the lock in the GPS can I just turn off the internet connection and continue with the GPS connection? I would like to rent a car to go out from Rome, I know insane.., but I am concerned about the costs (ps, I have downloaded the maps to the device so not downloading maps on the go) of moving around with the GPS on and the thing always using more internet.

-Geo tagging, is the internet connection necessary every time I take a picture to geo tag it? Kinda beats the purpose for me.

Anyone?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
GPS as it is does not need a data connection.
Only Assisted GPS need that, but it can be switched off.
Geotagging your photos also doesn't need a data conection.

same question was posted yesterday and i think it was answered.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
According to my comprehensive internet search 5KB of data every minute or two, unconfirmed... Sounds reasonable to budget for that amount.

If your really concerned use AGPS to achieve your first lock in Rome, and then switch it off.

Last edited by Duffer; 2010-03-30 at 10:16.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
AGPS should only need the few kB the first time it connects, when it gets a satellite signal it can get the remaining info from there.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Geotagging your photos also doesn't need a data conection.
I'm pretty sure it does, actually. See for example http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41090

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Planet Earth
IF you already have the maps on the phone, disable the internet conection and use only GPS.
Or better, you dont need to use internet to lock your position, just start ovi maps, and wait for GPS to lock your position and you are ready.

The Following User Says Thank You to adancau For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
I will be traveling to Rome and would like to use my N900 for both Maps and geo tagging my pictures.

So my question is:
-In the maps app, after acquiring the lock in the GPS can I just turn off the internet connection and continue with the GPS connection? I would like to rent a car to go out from Rome, I know insane.., but I am concerned about the costs (ps, I have downloaded the maps to the device so not downloading maps on the go) of moving around with the GPS on and the thing always using more internet.

-Geo tagging, is the internet connection necessary every time I take a picture to geo tag it? Kinda beats the purpose for me.

Anyone?
I just came back from a trip and used Nokia Maps in Jordan and Egypt with preloaded maps, and used Freemap-il in Israel (for whatever reason, Nokia Maps has no Israel map to download)

I turned off data connection and assisted GPS, it usually took around 2 minutes to lock on the position, faster if you have used GPS just recently and not far from you previous position. After that, the tracking work very well.

I couldn't search because no data connection, however, I don't know how to enter and search with Arabic anyway