Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
*lots of actual knowledge of the process*
So, right, scrap that, how about porting for the new Xperia X Compact?

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
that doesn't mean that Hybris works in 32bit mode on a 64bit processor
Aaargh!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
[...]
I think it would be better to take an existing piece of hardware and get a build of Sailfish that works 100% on it. I know there are lots of community ports, but they always seem to get abandoned with some key functions of the phone not working or stable.
I think our goal should be even more modest than this. I think we should be working on a really full-function change root environment for Android. Something like Easy Debian, but with no gotchas (like sshd not working in Easy Debian). If we did this right, then we could run it on every new Android machine that gets released. I simply don't believe our community is capable of getting Sailfish to work 100% on anything, and if we did, it would be obsolete by the time we did it. I know this would do nothing for those among us whose highest priority is privacy, but they'll have to wait for the neo900. The wait may be a long one.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Sure they can, but that doesn't mean that Hybris works in 32bit mode on a 64bit processor.
Just to add some more info on this.

I think the main issue with 32bit mode is that you'll need 32bit drivers to go along with it, which aren't available. So what was tried was using the 64bit android base with a 32bit SFOS on top which booted, but was otherwise reasonably broken.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
I want to point everyone here to the Pyra Project:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

The mobile variant could be close to what we want.

Main similarities to N900:
Awesome Keyboard, Resistive Touch, Open, switchable battery

Main Advantages
Fast processor, lots of RAM, USB host, compass, gaming controls, video out

Main Disadvantages:
Bit bulky, 139 x 87 x 32 mm
Screen not on top in closed state, no phone feeling
No integrated camera
Weight?

If enough users are found, it may even be possible to create a variant of the Pyra?

I dream of a Sailfish device similar to the Pyra, a bit smaller, OLED flip screen like some modern notebooks, and with an 808 Pureview equivalent camera module with complete firmware access and Bless N900 equivalent.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
So, right, scrap that, how about porting for the new Xperia X Compact?
I don't know what happens with the Sony ports but they all seem to get so far and then whoever does it gives up.

But, I think the problem with any existing device is that they tend to be phones that have been relegated to the drawer by a newer model so they're already not a person's daily driver.

Sony used to sponsor porting efforts for Firefox OS IIRC. Perhaps we need to get hold of someone at Sony and see if they're up for throwing some cash at getting a semi-official Sailfish port to get this rolling on their hardware. Perhaps someone in the community (ex-)Nokia or (ex-)SonyEricsson has an idea?

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I think our goal should be even more modest than this. I think we should be working on a really full-function change root environment for Android. Something like Easy Debian, but with no gotchas (like sshd not working in Easy Debian). If we did this right, then we could run it on every new Android machine that gets released. I simply don't believe our community is capable of getting Sailfish to work 100% on anything, and if we did, it would be obsolete by the time we did it. I know this would do nothing for those among us whose highest priority is privacy, but they'll have to wait for the neo900. The wait may be a long one.
This seams like a reasonable compromise that will let you take advantage of the latest developments in hardware and not constrain you to one device. What would be nice is if one could seamlessly start android apps, especially hardware specific ones like camera, from within the debian user interface. I don't know if this is easy with chroot. I recall, using easy debian on my N900 and having an openoffice icon on my maemo screen so it looked like an app. But running that meant that debian had to be started up first and then open office would start which was pretty slow. This is the opposite of what I'm suggesting. Fist have debian running so that its applications start up faster, but allow the android apps to be called from debian so that they fire up right away as android is running anyways.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
The newer series stuff is all 64bit ARM which is currently problematic for sailfish porting, but work is being done to get that sorted though so it might be worth a risk.
Can you please shed some more words on this? What is the progress? How much is missing?

I have a OnePlus3. That's Snapdragon 820, 6 GB of RAM (sfdroid would take a lot of RAM, so much RAM is good). I bought it with the idea to port SFOS onto it, since OnePlus X has a very well working port and OnePlus is quite developer-friendly [full kernel source on GH].

I didn't know that arm64 is a problem so this really makes me sad. I really want Sailfish on my device, so I offer a bit of help. [I don't know how much time I'll have starting October but I may find a while or two]

I think the main issue with 32bit mode is that you'll need 32bit drivers to go along with it, which aren't available. So what was tried was using the 64bit android base with a 32bit SFOS on top which booted, but was otherwise reasonably broken.
In which way broken?

Maybe we should ask Jolla for arm64 binaries of all their proprietary stuff?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Can you please shed some more words on this? What is the progress? How much is missing?
I followed this up with ghosalmartin in #sailfishos-porters, if you want to help out then ask him what you can do.

Originally Posted by ghosalmartin
zyppers fixed thanks to Stskeeps, need to get the right version of libzypp-bindings now for mic, and then need to strip out all the "jolla" specific stuff from patterns, then can build an image.
even after getting the required packages built working and on device, ui is still broken because hybris has an issue with qualcomm drivers
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
In which way broken?
It sounded like the droid-hal-init wouldn't work properly in that kind of a mixed mode and isn't worth pursuing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
All I have to say at this point ...
currently ...
as in ..
"this exact Present...in this alternate or true 'verse...."

Contemplating and desiring and debating ...
are steps..
"Doing" ...
hell ...
even the ABILITY to "Do"..
what is needed..
AND to upkeep it...
inevitably (as always here)...
IS the issue..

For a very long time now...as in years...
Thread after thread here is either :
A) dealing with upkeep...
B) helping new folks...
C) pining for the fjords ..
D) debate as to what we should do...

Either we actually settle on a course of action and follow it..
and a course of action that is noob friendly ..to allow for increase in our numbers..
OR...
We diminish and disappear...

As far as myself goes...
I will continue to use my nxx0's
but real world functionality and daily driver capabilities of our devices are narrowing as time goes by...
and I will (as many will be...or already have decided..) end up having no choice but to simply join "Team Android"...
hate to say it...
but that is the blunt of it...

As far as this thread goes...
and so many others..
I state officially.. that I have decided to join what I call ...(and in no jest..) .."Camp Gerbick"
whose views I have come to completely "see" and empathize with...

So saying..
until we are actually able...
AS a community ...
to unchain our os('s) from the shackles of our devices...
(which again....bluntly...is what we must do...)
All I have to say is...

If wishes were fishes
the oceans would be full.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
All I have to say at this point ...
currently ...
as in ..
"this exact Present...in this alternate or true 'verse...."

Contemplating and desiring and debating ...
are steps..
"Doing" ...
hell ...
even the ABILITY to "Do"..
what is needed..
AND to upkeep it...
inevitably (as always here)...
IS the issue..

For a very long time now...as in years...
Thread after thread here is either :
A) dealing with upkeep...
B) helping new folks...
C) pining for the fjords ..
D) debate as to what we should do...

Either we actually settle on a course of action and follow it..
and a course of action that is noob friendly ..to allow for increase in our numbers..
OR...
We diminish and disappear...

As far as myself goes...
I will continue to use my nxx0's
but real world functionality and daily driver capabilities of our devices are narrowing as time goes by...
and I will (as many will be...or already have decided..) end up having no choice but to simply join "Team Android"...
hate to say it...
but that is the blunt of it...

As far as this thread goes...
and so many others..
I state officially.. that I have decided to join what I call ...(and in no jest..) .."Camp Gerbick"
whose views I have come to completely "see" and empathize with...

So saying..
until we are actually able...
AS a community ...
to unchain our os('s) from the shackles of our devices...
(which again....bluntly...is what we must do...)
All I have to say is...

If wishes were fishes
the oceans would be full.
Well/sad spoken.
Siemens S55 -> Nokia 6210 -> Sony Erricson K750i -> HTC Hermes 300/MDA Vario 2 -> Nokia N78 -> Samsung Galaxy S1 -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus -> Nokia N9 (cyan/16gb) -> Jolla 1 -> iPhone 5S -> Xiaomi RedMi Note 2 Pro -> Nokia N900² -> iPhone SE, gave up all hope.

The Following User Says Thank You to N912 For This Useful Post: