Originally Posted by jschan View Post
as in-maemo already mentioned a couple of posts above, the n900 can be configured to support bluetooth pan tethering which android supports out of the box. as soon as you enable the n900's bluetooth pan ability (see Bluetooth Profiles--you basically need to enable the "network" plugin and restart the bluetooth daemon) and pair/repair that Galaxy tab to it, you should see a tethering option for the paired n900.
I guess that was a "SHOULD" as per the RFC terminology ? :-)

After the fishiness with the Q5 DUN stuff, I thought I'd try this manual proof of concept before going to the trouble of flashing Power-kernel, installing iptables and the scripts, etc.

I edited /etc/bluetooth/main.conf to enable the network plugin, restarted the daemon, and deleted the GTab entry in the paired hosts list. On the Tab I unpaired the N900 then paired it again.

Where, exactly, should the "tethering option" appear ? I can't see it anywhere, not in Settings/Network/Bluetooth anyway...

Yet another Android feature that works everywhere except on a Galaxy Tab ? I guess this one's heading back where it came from... :-)

Last edited by fpp; 2011-04-18 at 16:08.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
You'd refer to here for more information on establishing Bluetooh PAN and tether with N900. Down the thread there are people reporting to have succeeded in getting PAN works with android tablet. Hope this helps.

Believe me 9K, I've read and appreciated that thread you started. If I'm not mistaken, the one contributor with an Android tablet is jschan, and he has a XOOM with a much more recent version of Android than the Galaxy Tab's Froyo (Gingerbread at least, maybe even Honeycomb).

According to his post I was replying to, the mere fact of enabling Bluetooth PAN on the N900 (even without routing etc.) and pairing it to the tablet should cause a new tethering option to appear in Android.

Unless I'm not looking in the right place, it doesn't seem to appear on the Galaxy Tab (just as the Q5 DUN doesn't work either).

If so, I don't see the point of going through your entire HOWTO, as I'd end up with a perfectly functional PAN server on the N900 side, but nothing to use it with on the tablet :-)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So... people can't get bluetooth tether to work? No probs here with my Xoom to Atrix.

Weird how that works for me, and others... but not for you. A lot of the stuff in this thread isn't clear.

Don't want wifi-tether - which works great btw - or you claim that USB tether doesn't work - but... it does work.

As does bluetooth tether. Mind you, I'm root on all of my devices, but even with the N900, I had to install rootsh. smh

What works for you, in-maemo and jschan on a Motorola Xoom doesn't work for me on another device with a different Android version. Is that so hard to understand ?

I have yet to see, here or elsewhere, someone saying (and explaining how) they succeeded in tethering their Samsung Galaxy Tab, running good old Froyo 2.2, to a phone, using USB or BT, DUN or PAN.

Xoom, yes, Archos, yes, something or other called a Q5, also. But not the SGT. I'm just surprised that Samsung managed to shackle a Linux-based system to that level, when Maemo-based tablets have been doing this out of the box ever since the 770 and its "prototype" OS2005...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So... people can't get bluetooth tether to work? No probs here with my Xoom to Atrix.

Weird how that works for me, and others... but not for you. A lot of the stuff in this thread isn't clear.

Don't want wifi-tether - which works great btw - or you claim that USB tether doesn't work - but... it does work.

As does bluetooth tether. Mind you, I'm root on all of my devices, but even with the N900, I had to install rootsh. smh
Xoom's using 1) Honeycomb and 2) a pure Google experience. The problem with the Galaxy Tab is that it's got a Samsung-ruined bluetooth stack. (They replaced BlueZ that pure Google devices get, with their own stack--laaaaaaame). My Droid never had that problem... ditto for the Xoom.

Basically, Android devices would be GREAT if not for these crippling attempts by some manufacturers (Samsung... what the hell??).

Ultimately, it's unbelievable that Samsung removed tethering (like they removed BT HID). I hate that.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Believe me 9K, I've read and appreciated that thread you started. If I'm not mistaken, the one contributor with an Android tablet is jschan, and he has a XOOM with a much more recent version of Android than the Galaxy Tab's Froyo (Gingerbread at least, maybe even Honeycomb).

According to his post I was replying to, the mere fact of enabling Bluetooth PAN on the N900 (even without routing etc.) and pairing it to the tablet should cause a new tethering option to appear in Android.

Unless I'm not looking in the right place, it doesn't seem to appear on the Galaxy Tab (just as the Q5 DUN doesn't work either).

If so, I don't see the point of going through your entire HOWTO, as I'd end up with a perfectly functional PAN server on the N900 side, but nothing to use it with on the tablet :-)
I am afraid I could not help you with making your android poping up things on which you could click to male everything to work.

However, if you are willingly to go for the solutions other than popup and click, you would like to look for bnep.ko and pand for froyo. The instructions to build bluetooth PAN are somewhere near to where you found the above binaries. Goood luck.

next time i have a chance to stop somewhere with a galaxy tab, i can try pairing and see if it works.

Sorry for the lull folks, was on the road and mostly offline for a few days, just catchin' up...

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Xoom's using 1) Honeycomb and 2) a pure Google experience. The problem with the Galaxy Tab is that it's got a Samsung-ruined bluetooth stack. (They replaced BlueZ that pure Google devices get, with their own stack--laaaaaaame). My Droid never had that problem... ditto for the Xoom.
Basically, Android devices would be GREAT if not for these crippling attempts by some manufacturers (Samsung... what the hell??).
Ultimately, it's unbelievable that Samsung removed tethering (like they removed BT HID). I hate that.
Thanks for the confirmation Dan. I now have a feeling that gerbick's beef (although he didn't word it as such) might be that he found my topic title too broad, and thus error-inducing : Android *does* tether, if the device vendor doesn't cripple it... But as it was my very first experience with the system, I didn't know any better. Perhaps I should change that.

There is an interesting lesson in this however : Android devices, even using the same version release, are not all created equal. Hackers and freedom-lovers should choose their vendor carefully :-)

There

Tags
hacking, scamdroid, tethering