Notices

is there any medical applications like that on the symbian phones ? i saw one on N97 nd it was awesome contains all the medical terms with definitions..i thought about installing the offline wikipedia but the offline files are > 5 GB.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Alexandria,Egypt
agree need thngs like on iphone like pharma etc

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ecuador
It would be awesome to have applications like medical calculator and skyscape app

can symbian apps be ported to maemo ?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Nothing can be ported UNLESS the source code is available. IF the source code is available, then with enough effort, everything can be ported unless the hardware and operating system just won't allow for it.

So yes, Symbian stuff (and all other stuff) can be ported IF it's open source. If not, you have to either reverse engineer it (use various tool to figure out how the compiled code works, and come up with your own code that copies it appropriately), or clone it (meaning, just write your own code from scratch without reverse engineering that does the same things on the surface). Frankly, this applies to all software everywhere.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Nothing can be ported UNLESS the source code is available. IF the source code is available, then with enough effort, everything can be ported unless the hardware and operating system just won't allow for it.

So yes, Symbian stuff (and all other stuff) can be ported IF it's open source. If not, you have to either reverse engineer it (use various tool to figure out how the compiled code works, and come up with your own code that copies it appropriately), or clone it (meaning, just write your own code from scratch without reverse engineering that does the same things on the surface). Frankly, this applies to all software everywhere.
what i know about programming is exactly what a middle aged one eyed frog knows about soil concentration in mars after solar storm that lasts for 2 years,
so i can get you the symbian app. would you mind looking at it ?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well, as of my last post you know more about it than you did before. (And I know I've seen you in this forum enough to think you've probably run into educational comments, which, with applied logical contemplation, could have taught you a lot.)

Anyway, I'm not a programmer, I don't have the SDK for Maemo set up properly yet, and I am not a good person to go to for getting apps ported. Yet, at least. You can post links to the apps or their webpages, and if they're open source, someone might port them. *Shrug*

AgogData
I think GVM is your best bet. Take a look at this thread.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23110

I remember there was also a thread started by addison which lists some alternatives. You might want to do a search for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Yeah, I have over 60 Skyscape apps.

It's definitely doable.

Don't listen to bunanson's suggestions though. His way blows. *lol*

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post: